AMD displayport problem?

Good to hear. Both of my 290X are under water, but the black screen issue would happen at stock speeds. These are reference MSI cards. I've been running all day with DP 1.2 disabled in the monitor's menu, and everything seems to be working OK as far as screen issues are concerned.

I think my CPU OC has not been stable, because my system locked up earlier today with the new Accell DP cable, so I don't think the cable was at fault for system instability. But at least the flickering went away so happy on that area.

Your water block cools the VRMs also? They will get nice and toasty and cause issues if not properly cooled.

I think I may have a temporary solution. I used MSI's afterburner and cranked the fan to 45% to keep the card under 70c because apparently default doesnt go above 35% fan speed, and the crimson driver sucks because I cant find anywhere to change the fan settings. The DP connector part of the cable is a lot less hot and worked for 2 games of LoL. Ill have to try other more demanding games to see how it goes.

If you set LOL into benchmark mode it should uncap the framerate and make it a lot more demanding.

I also suggest to update GPU BIOS from AMD and DP1.2 chipset firmware from its manufacturer site.

Your water block cools the VRMs also? They will get nice and toasty and cause issues if not properly cooled.

VRM doesn't go above 47C - they are full cover aquacomputer blocks that also go over the VRM.

I also suggest to update GPU BIOS from AMD and DP1.2 chipset firmware from its manufacturer site.

Not sure how to go about updating the BIOS on my cards. Also afraid that I could brick them.

They do not OC well though - I'm at 1130 core at 81mv, and pushing it higher seems to require a big jump in voltage. I see people post how they hit 1200+ on their cards, but that's the least of my problems anyway.

Not sure how to go about updating the BIOS on my cards. Also afraid that I could brick them.

They do not OC well though - I'm at 1130 core at 81mv, and pushing it higher seems to require a big jump in voltage. I see people post how they hit 1200+ on their cards, but that's the least of my problems anyway.

I am personally not going to mess with the bios. I am going to try and stick to my original plan and ride it out until the next gen cards come. I want a single card that can run 3440x1440 at highish without the headache of sli and xfire.

Flashing GPU BIOS is easy and safe. In fact, its mandatory if suggested by the card manufacturer, otherwise you might loose warranty or recall rights if any. Find and download the latest BIOS from the OEM card maker. You can always save your factory BIOS backup and revert to it.
ATIWinFlash - How to flash the BIOS of your ATI Cards

Updating your DP1.2 chipset firmware is a separate task, also usually safe. Each chipset maker may offer own FW update utility and/or drivers on their website. You need to google or read your chipset models on the board with a magnifier glass, there're several different chipsets usually soldered on each GPU, like main chip and port controllers. Then google for each chipset maker by model #. You main need to detach cooling fans to have access to the board to read the chip markings. Its not that hard, but most folks never do it despite its required to clean the fans overtime. :D

Last edited:
Flashing GPU BIOS is easy and safe. In fact, its mandatory if suggested by the card manufacturer, otherwise you might loose warranty or recall rights if any. Find and download the latest BIOS from the OEM card maker. You can always save your factory BIOS backup and revert to it.
ATIWinFlash - How to flash the BIOS of your ATI Cards

Updating your DP1.2 chipset firmware is a separate task, also usually safe. Each chipset maker may offer own FW update utility and/or drivers on their website. You need to read your chipset models on the board with a magnifier glass, there're several different chipsets usually soldered on each GPU, like main chip and port controllers. Then google for each chipset maker by model #. You main need to detach cooling fans to have access to the board. Its not that hard, but most folks never do it. :D

I appreciate your suggestions, but there's no way in hell I'm going to open up my Dell monitor to try and flash a chip's FW. I think I'll sell it and buy something else if I need to have DP 1.2 daisy chaining. But most likely, I'll end up buying a new video card with a HDMI 2.0 port, and use that instead.

As far as flashing GPUs, I'm with //AMG and just not going to go that route even if it seems easy, unless the mfgs asks me to - even then I'd just push back since if I brick a card, I'm SOL. Plus that and draining my loop to service my video cards is a pain.

I think you misunderstood. DP1.2 chip is on the GPU, you don't need to flash the chip on the monitor.

Generally, flashing modern GPU or Mobo BIOS is about the same routing as flashing your monitor or any other device firmware. Most devices have 2 firmware copies stored, so they can auto reset after a bad flash. The procedure is similar, and flash memory chips might be also the same. I guess you would never update monitor or any player firmware either? Just keep in mind, OS is regularly updated for a reason, as more bugs are fixed and features added. The same is true for any software or firmware. Of course its your choice, but each thread on this forum is read by thousands of people. Hope it was useful to some. :)

Last edited:
Well my system has been rock solid since I got the cable. Enjoying it and should have done this years ago. :)

I remember having two r9 290s and running 3 monitors. Now they require using display Ports to get the third running. Biggest crock

I found an post on a forum saying that it's the DP chipset in these monitors that can't handle DP 1.2 at high resolutions. I turned off DP 1.2 (so downgrade to DP 1.1) in the monitor menu - initially it seems ok but I have not thoroughly tested it. You might want to give that a shot.

All else fails, I've had my eye on two EVGA 980 Ti cards.

I have the same monitor, same issue, same solution - went to DP1.1 in the menu. Happens on a 290x and Nano rig. May splurge on a new cable or two - a 3m and 2m Accel. Monitor has a built in Display Port Multi Stream Hub - lol wonder how that will work when it can't even work with DP 1.2 by itself. In the menu it is setup with a single monitor, meaning the hub should be off but wondering if the sync lost is due to not having a second monitor hooked up. Maybe a firmware update could fix this.

So I've had display port issues since well a while back when I was still using my 7970 and I always thought it was my Dell U2711 so and ended up using a DVI-D instead and called it a day. Well when I got my 290s I kept the same set up, but recently I got a LG 34UM95 Ultrawide and Display port has been a pain in the ass so I used HDMI, but the monitor doesnt have HDMI 2.0 which I just realized so it cant do 60hz at native res. So I thought it was the monitor but decided to check my 7970 and it does the same thing as my 290.

Next thing was I went to bestbuy to buy a GTX 970 and display port works fine. I am super curious now if both of my 290s and my 7970 have some issue where only display port doesnt work or something and its my cards or AMD specific problem?

I dont know if I want to keep this monitor anymore, might as well just get a Samsung 4k TV now since I already bought a GTX 970, while I am at it might as well order a GTX 980 Ti.

tl:dr
2x 290s and one 7970 has issue with display port but nothing else is wrong with them, used 2 different DP cables, tried both monitors, can now isolate it to the cards themselves.

AMD problem or my 3 cards?

Hi I had this problem with my HD 7970. The solution was getting new display port cables http://www.accellcables.com/collections/cables/displayport I ordered the cables at Amazon.com. I did the same for the XFX 290X with display port 1.2 cables. I hope this helps.

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/

Any cable attenuates signals, some more, other less, it mostly depends on cable length. A firmware update may improve DP chipset sensitivity or BIOS algorithms handling weaker signals. Its always advisable to check the manufacturer sites for any BIOS and chipset firmware upgrades. Chipset models are usually posted on the web by overclocking fans. Modern hardware is designed in a way that allows for safe firmware upgrade. Older hardware may still suffer if power is interrupted during FW upgrade.

Good example are Nvidia laptop GPUs of older gen, which overheating resulted in failure of huge number of laptops of various makes 5 years ago. All laptop makers issued BIOS updates on Nvidia advice that completely alleviated the problem by improving cooling fan algorithms without adding extra fan sensors, since Nvidia GPU didn't have an active sensor. Bottom line was, if you failed to update your laptop is guaranteed to die within 3-6 months, despite most affected models weren't covered by Nvidia related recall.

I have a 3m accell cable, and I get the same thing. But I've found that, however strange it this seems, that it's tied, in some way, to core voltage.

I thought initially that it was tied to core clock, but through trial and error I've found that the same speed, but with lower voltage, significantly reduces the number of instances (one every game session, vs continuously when a game is running)

I've had to drop my clock speeds, can only get 1100@ +10mv, vs 1200 @ +100mv, but it works.

I skimmed the thread to see if you mentioned any overclocking, but I didn't see anything.

Can confirm. VTX3D 290X and Asus MG278Q. Certified Accell cable. 144hz@1440p.

+30mV without any increase in mhz, and everything goes bad.

Contacted Asus about this in oktober. This was new tot them and they suggested to RMA the monitor. But the new one behaves the same.

Contacted VTX3D in november. Never heard back from them.

Contacted AMD in december. Still pending.

Overall, Freesync at 144hz has been one bumpy ride. I'm at DVI@60hz in the meantime.

Back