AMD Cutting Prices

HardOCP News

[H] News
DigiTimes is reporting that AMD has announced price cuts on its Athlon 64 X2 processors.

According to AMD's website, pricing for high-end Athlons, including the FX series, X2 5600+ and 5400+ remains unchanged, while the X2 5200+ saw a hefty cut from US$403 to US$295. Reductions continue down the rest of the range with prices falling around US$25 at the top of the scale to around US$15 at the bottom.

Wow, 5200 with such a massive drop... sure as hell going to p*ss off a lot of people ;)

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in Canada the 939 socket CPUs are almost impossible to find anyway. None of the local stores have anything but AM2 boards and CPUs anymore.

yea, it pisses me right the hell off. S939 is FAR from dead, and to stop selling for it is a DAMN stupid move.

yea, it pisses me right the hell off. S939 is FAR from dead, and to stop selling for it is a DAMN stupid move.

AMD is in the business to make money, it doesnt make any sense for them to continue on with socket 939 production.

AMD is in the business to make money, it doesnt make any sense for them to continue on with socket 939 production.
That is a crock, there's a butt load of people on existing S939 systems that, for none other than AMD's short sightedness have nothing to upgrade to. If AMD had released anything above the 4800+ on S939, and/or done the 65nm die shrink with it, alot of 939'ers would be upgrading, and dare I say it even pay somewhat of a premium to do so. I know I would, being an Opteron 165 user, if my CPU died tomorrow. And if I couldn't find a replacement (X2 or Opteron) at a decent price, would switch to S775 and C2D/C2Q - as many have done already.

If AMD is really in the business to make money, I hope to god they stop dragging their asses and get the R600 GPU family out the door and K8L as well. I doubt AMD would last very long (as we know it) if they became a budget only maker (remember Cyrix? do they even exist anymore?). I guess time will tell (3Q/4Q 07?) with AMD's quads, but with QF being the resounding flop that it's been, it doesn't look all that hot right now. I hope for their sake, and the CONSUMER as well, that they really pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat with K8L (and the near future).

Not to be totally OT, it's always nice (from a buyers POV) to see price cuts, but I would have like to have seen cuts on the top end as well, esp the QF FX7x's. And holy crap are the Semprons *cheap*!

/ps S754 Sempsons but us S939 get squat WITFF is with that?

I have to agree, several of my friend have been wanting to upgrade their S939 computers to dual core and I'm having trouble finding CPU's for them - I myself would like to. AMD needs to give us 939ers a refresh.

Ugg, so many of us 939ers had the same idea.. When I built my system I went 939 but with a basic 3000+ with the intention of getting an X2 once the price improved. Problem is that the 939 did't fade away, it just vanished over night.

Well, don't feel so bad. AM2 is almost dead as well. Am2+ is right around the corner and the same thing is probably going to happen.

Well, don't feel so bad. AM2 is almost dead as well. Am2+ is right around the corner and the same thing is probably going to happen.

Unless I see a 939 X2 or even an opteron at a good price as an upgrade path, I would switch to Intels Core2 anyway. AMD doesn't look like they will be able to retake the performance crown until their hybrid GPU multi core chips are ready in another year.

Back