AMD Crossfire + No performance increase

hoek88

n00b
I have two AMD XFX 6970's in crossfire, I can see crossfire enabled in the Catalyst Control Center, but I'm not getting any increase in frames.

I have the following setup:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Seasonic Prime Platinum 850w PSU

Before it wasnt in Xfire because in the BIOS the PCI slot was set to 2x and I changed it to 4

but now I dont get why I'm not getting any FPS increase.

I have two AMD XFX 6970's in crossfire, I can see crossfire enabled in the Catalyst Control Center, but I'm not getting any increase in frames.

I have the following setup:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V LE
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Seasonic Prime Platinum 850w PSU

Before it wasnt in Xfire because in the BIOS the PCI slot was set to 2x and I changed it to 4

but now I dont get why I'm not getting any FPS increase.
It will depend on the game you use as well.

What game are you trying to get CF working on.

Looking at specs for your board, it should support CF but @X4 that might be a tad steep a leap for good performance, but what do I know, never tried X4. Only other thing I can think of is using MSI Afterburner and use it to make sure ULPS is disabled. If not the second card may not wake.

I've had that issue before with CF. I was running a single card and added another and for some reason windows was preventing it and when I did a new windows install CF started working.

Crossfire only works in fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless.

Not every game supports CF. Some games need manual changes in AMD panel (different CF rendering modes) or sometimes tweaks to the game (settings, ini files, etc.).

You should try GTA V, as it has the best support for CF I've seen (nearly 100% scaling).

Crossfire only works in fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless.

Not every game supports CF. Some games need manual changes in AMD panel (different CF rendering modes) or sometimes tweaks to the game (settings, ini files, etc.).

You should try GTA V, as it has the best support for CF I've seen (nearly 100% scaling).
Forgot you are pro-CF and likely you would be the guy to give advice. Would have gave him your name, but my age getting the better of me.

Looking at specs for your board, it should support CF but @X4 that might be a tad steep a leap for good performance, but what do I know, never tried X4. Only other thing I can think of is using MSI Afterburner and use it to make sure ULPS is disabled. If not the second card may not wake.
X4 pcie2 which is ~ x2 pcie3 speeds.

I am going to install my setup on a different motherboard, Intel DP67BG, so maybe that will resolve the issue. Re-image of Windows has been long overdue. AFAIK, that Intel mobo, should give me two PCI-E 2.0 @ 16x instead of 16x and 4x. So with that, hopefully I get better performance.

Also the game I'm playing is Rocket League. Which I've noticed when loading has the AMD Crossfire Technology logo in the top right corner. It's like they are advertising Crossfire, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting zero performance out of it.

Also the game I'm playing is Rocket League. Which I've noticed when loading has the AMD Crossfire Technology logo in the top right corner. It's like they are advertising Crossfire, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm getting zero performance out of it.

Rocket League should support CF just fine, although I don't know why you'd need it, it's not very intensive. Be sure you're in fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless, if it still doesn't work a fresh windows image and driver install will probably be the ticket.

Also note that you may not actually want Crossfire; the 6000-series predates frametime measurements that exposed AMD's Crossfire halfassedness, which many times resulted in higher framerates but stutter that made the experience worse than that of a single card. Once exposed, AMD worked pretty quickly to update Crossfire, and it's more or less useful in good implementations today.

This may or may not be the case with Rocket League, just understand your effort may be for naught. A faster card would certainly be preferable.

An article for reference. I recommend starting at the beginning to understand what the problem was and how it was measured, but the linked page has a nice graph proving how a pair of 6000-series cards in Crossfire were no faster than a single card in application.

Also note that you may not actually want Crossfire; the 6000-series predates frametime measurements that exposed AMD's Crossfire halfassedness, which many times resulted in higher framerates but stutter that made the experience worse than that of a single card. Once exposed, AMD worked pretty quickly to update Crossfire, and it's more or less useful in good implementations today.

This may or may not be the case with Rocket League, just understand your effort may be for naught. A faster card would certainly be preferable.

An article for reference. I recommend starting at the beginning to understand what the problem was and how it was measured, but the linked page has a nice graph proving how a pair of 6000-series cards in Crossfire were no faster than a single card in application.

I believe you are referring to Frame Pacing, which my card does have. V-sync is disabled in all games, always.

Rocket League should support CF just fine, although I don't know why you'd need it, it's not very intensive. Be sure you're in fullscreen mode, not windowed or borderless, if it still doesn't work a fresh windows image and driver install will probably be the ticket.

Yep, in fullscreen. I will let ya'll know when I re-install with the other mobo. It has a better layout anyways.

I believe you are referring to Frame Pacing, which my card does have. V-sync is disabled in all games, always.

Frame-pacing is something that AMD implemented in drivers once the limitations of their software and hardware in multi-GPU were exposed, and helps- but the full solution for AMD Radeons required hardware changes.

Simple fix that every moronic reviewer failed to mention, although a few did months later, USE RADEONPRO and stutter issues are not present. I had 7770x2 back in the day and never had the slightest stutter in Skyrim, apparently a double wammy for issues. So when I first saw the stutter-gate come up I didn't believe it but then the evidence proved it existed but apparently users of RADEONPRO using DFC were not seeing it and hence the big debate to begin with and why many thought it more a witch hunt because they weren't seeing it.

So in short just USE RADEONPRO.

Jeez why didn't you sell off those old cards when they were actually worth something? Even a dinky 750 ti is faster than a 6970 especially in newer games.

Last edited:
Simple fix that every moronic reviewer failed to mention, although a few did months later, USE RADEONPRO and stutter issues are not present. I had 7770x2 back in the day and never had the slightest stutter in Skyrim, apparently a double wammy for issues. So when I first saw the stutter-gate come up I didn't believe it but then the evidence proved it existed but apparently users of RADEONPRO using DFC were not seeing it and hence the big debate to begin with and why many thought it more a witch hunt because they weren't seeing it.

So in short just USE RADEONPRO.

You mean the app that only works for DX9 games on Windows 7 and has been discontinued/unsupported for years? lol

Answering with "Get another card." is not helpful nor does it answer the question.

To update, I've since put a fresh installation of Windows on my other motherboard (Intel DP67BG), installed the latest (non-beta) Catalyst Control Center back on, and still don't see the performance increase. So, although a worthy attempt, I don't think was the original issue. I'm going to try using an older version of CCC when I get home.

Answering with "Get another card." is not helpful nor does it answer the question.

To update, I've since put a fresh installation of Windows on my other motherboard (Intel DP67BG), installed the latest (non-beta) Catalyst Control Center back on, and still don't see the performance increase. So, although a worthy attempt, I don't think was the original issue. I'm going to try using an older version of CCC when I get home.
Older versions might be the only fix these days.....AMD is focusing all there effort these days to the current line ups...kinda felt like even with my much newer 7970/280x AMD wasnt interested in dealing with issue/bugs introduced with newer drivers.....I play newer games, so a newer card was worth it.

Tried older drivers and nothing seems to work. Tried the oldest available on the AMD site and the one that came with my card (on disc), 10.12

Back