AMD crossfire and free slots

SGD

Weaksauce
I am looking for a board that supports 16x on both slots so I can use my 2 4870's that will allow the use of a PCI slot. All the boards that I have seen so far lose all the slots when you have two video cards in the system. I don't like the integrated sound and would like to be able to use an expansion card instead. If any knows a board that will allow this please let me know.

Thanks

For 2 x PCI-E x16, you need X38 or X48.
I just checked my Gigabyte X38-DS4 and the second PCI-E slot covers one PCI slot but the end PCI slot is still available.
Great board btw, hits 520MHz FSB (with an E8400), no motherboard voltage changes required.

You don't have to use intel to do Dual x16 Crossfire. The are a lot of options, but the best is the ASUS M3A79-T DELUXE

Thanks everyone for their response but I still am confused. I am looking to go with an AMD CPU so that rules out the x48 solution. I have one of those system built with the Gigabyte GA_X48 DS4 and have to admit I have been less than satisified with it. When ever I start a game it plays for about 5 minutes and then just shuts down.

Back on my point the Asus board looks like the slots will work but the one that looks to be free on the bottom is a PCIe slot I need a PCI for my Sound Blaster card. I don't think that PCI cards can fit in that slot but maybe I am wrong.

I seem to never have issues with an AMD built but intel always seems to have some strange issues.

For anyone that has has the Gigabyte that I am talking about here is my setup. Q9450, 4 gig corsair ram, dual 4870, all drivers from the website and all updates installed. The power supply is an 750 watt so that should be ok (ZEPHYR HEC-750) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339002

There are two PCI slots on that board. They are white. If you use the two matching blue slots at the top and at the bottom of the board, you will still have a PCI slot open in the middle. I think that's simple enough to see from the picture...

You should be fine as long as you avoid using both the top two slots.

Thanks going with the board as mentioned.

Thanks everyone.

Installed new chipset drivers from gigabyte and everything is perfect.

Back