AMD creates graphics-focused Radeon Technologies Group, taps Raja Koduri for GPU czar

n=1

2[H]4U
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2981...gies-group-taps-raja-koduri-for-gpu-czar.html

AMD's separating its healthier GPU business from its struggling CPU business. The company announced Wednesday morning that it was creating a new Radeon Technologies Group that would, essentially reconstitute ATI (the graphics company it acquired in 2006) inside of the CPU company.

Honestly not sure what to think of this, but if this means a new (and better) ATi will rise from the ashes then I'm all for it.

Meet the New Boss.
Same as the Old Boss.

It's still the same people planning out, designing and building.
It's also the same people working on their drivers.
And now they have another degree of separation between them and the people running the company and counting "the beans". Meaning, less responsive to R&D and funding requests.

So don't expect huge improvements.

Raja is pretty good man, smart guy, I think this is a good move, he was one of the main guys back with ATi was ATi. Think he was the CTO.

The GPU division is struggling as well, this is just a company on a downward spiral acting out of desperation.

Don't know what to think of it. ATi was a struggling company. AMD acquired it and also became a struggling company. Now things are so bad that they needed each other to at least survive. Separation may kill them faster is what I think.

Time will tell.

More of a tactical move, bankruptcy protection for the more profitable org of the company.

The further Radeon graphics can get from the barrel of monkeys AMD calls their executive board, the better.

So basically trying to go back to ATI when ATI was actually good and making money?!

Ignoring the obvious 2900XT debacle.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if the move was to make a sale of the division less complex.

I say that without having any experience in large company sales - basically talking out of my ass.

Probably with selling off any division is that everything is closely intertwined with one another. So lets say if someone wants the CPU division of AMD, they would still have the weigh the cost of licensing from AMD for the graphics portion.

It sounds like they just rebadged the division.
It sounds like they want to split the company for financial reasons.

DAAMIT has returned.

Me6mDp9.jpg

Last edited:
What consolidation also does is create communications channels for different departments and creates more transparency between the departments so things like "overclocker's dream" doesn't happen, I'm sure the engineers knew about how much Fiji could overclock, but that wasn't talked about to the marketing team.

What consolidation also does is create communications channels for different departments and creates more transparency between the departments so things like "overclocker's dream" doesn't happen, I'm sure the engineers knew about how much Fiji could overclock, but that wasn't talked about to the marketing team.

They strapped a watercooler on it and declared it an "Overclockers dream". Quite misleading... well more than misleading really.

They strapped a watercooler on it and declared it an "Overclockers dream". Quite misleading... well more than misleading really.

Yeah but it was necessary to keep the temps down to drop the over all power usage, so it wasn't that it was just strapped on it was a necessity. Any case this is for another thread lol.

Well to be fair it was Joe Macri, the CTO who made that remark. Unless he's completely out of touch with the engineers, or they gave him a golden sample, I just can't see any defense for what he said.

oh yeah forgot it was him was thinking it was a marketing guy.

Well to be fair it was Joe Macri, the CTO who made that remark. Unless he's completely out of touch with the engineers, or they gave him a golden sample, I just can't see any defense for what he said.

You'd think a CTO would know better. BTW the full quote was “You’ll be able to overclock this thing like no tomorrow. This is an overclocker’s dream.”

Tomorrow never came, apparently.

Well depending on how (badly) a company is run, you'd be surprised at how out of touch with reality senior management can be. Though with him being the CTO, there's no excuse.

Also he may have meant it literally. That it literally is an overclocker's dream, as in you can only dream about overclocking it.

True the bigger a company is the visibility of what different divisions do or even in the same division gets cloudy.

I predict AMD spinning off ATi as a separate company in the near future or selling it to someone like MS. They just don't have the money to support their core CPU business + GPU anymore so one of them has to go otherwise the whole house of cards collapses. I've been saying it for awhile now, AMD has one foot in the grave and the GPU wars are pretty much over, NVIDIA won. Now it's just a matter of finding a good buyer for ATi..err I mean Radeon Group.

Last edited:

In my book that move was extremely stupid..^^

AMD's pr was/is atrocious atm, i really hope they also change their PR strategy..

i really want them to succed, nVidia really needs some competion - else they are gonna copy Intel (high prices and low performance increases from generation to generation, but hey, it uses 5 watt less:rolleyes:)

And then some where down the line, they are gonna decide that since sales have plummeted, its not worth the R&D expense..that day the gaming pc will start on a serious decline and most likely end up dead.

i really want them to succed, nVidia really needs some competion - else they are gonna copy Intel (high prices and low performance increases from generation to generation, but hey, it uses 5 watt less:rolleyes:)

And then some where down the line, they are gonna decide that since sales have plummeted, its not worth the R&D expense..that day the gaming pc will start on a serious decline and most likely end up dead.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do think it's likely that progress is going to slow down. Node shrinks are going to be harder and more expensive and there's only so much shuffling around of circuits that can be done.

I predict AMD spinning off ATi as a separate company in the near future or selling it to someone like MS. They just don't have the money to support their core CPU business + GPU anymore so one of them has to go otherwise the whole house of cards collapses. I've been saying it for awhile now, AMD has one foot in the grave and the GPU wars are pretty much over, NVIDIA won. Now it's just a matter of finding a good buyer for ATi..err I mean Radeon Group.

AMD is worth less than $2B. That would probably make ATI worth less than $1B.

That would be like ripping off your arms to buy a new watch.

Well I guess it's better to try to salvage something rather than lose it all. Maybe MS will want them for future console development.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I do think it's likely that progress is going to slow down. Node shrinks are going to be harder and more expensive and there's only so much shuffling around of circuits that can be done.

There aren't many silicon node shrinks left, but that's why there is so much focus on new circuit designs (i.e. XPoint/memristors/etc.), photonics, nanotubes, quantum computing, etc. When you get close to the size of an atom in your circuits, you all of a sudden open up a lot of interesting potential of individual atoms. But that also requires a ton of R&D on the manufacturing side.

When the research becomes commercially viable is a question, but there's potential at the atomic scale which we haven't begun to tap into. Someone's going to do it, someone's going to pay for it to get done. The tech industry is too big to simply stop moving forward.

So, does this mean AMD's APUs are going to be put on the backburner?

Really don't want to see ATI/RTG leave the dedicated GPU space, and I fear a buyout from MS would be just that.

IIRC, ATI alone had at least a $5 billion market cap before the buyout. Now the combined entity is barely $1.5 billion. NV even offered merger with JHH on the helm back then but AMD (dumbly) said no and it's downhill for the latter from there.

NV even offered merger with JHH on the helm back then but AMD (dumbly) said no and it's downhill for the latter from there.

I think if that went through and Jen-Hsun was running the joint they'd probably be taking on Intel right now.

I think if that went through and Jen-Hsun was running the joint they'd probably be taking on Intel right now.

He definitely wouldn't have sold the mobile radeon IP to qualcomm, that's for sure! Who knows, AMD might have been what qualcomm is today if they'd taken JHH's offer. A foolish company that really deserves no fans and should just go away. I feel bad for the families that depend on it for a living but I'm sure they can find employment elsewhere that makes better use of their talents. As for the executives, I'm sure they'll all get their golden parachutes.

Is AMD Raja Koduri the same "Raja" who posts at xtremesystems and overclock.net?

I'm glad to see this happen. I think a separation of powers is going to help out a lot.

Maybe Notch will buy them then. He's got a couple billion sitting around. :D

Back