AMD confirms Power Issue for RX 480, blames memory bus, will patch

I didn't interpret this as AMD blaming the memory. I concluded it was just some marketing guy adding a positive spin to an otherwise crappy situation.

Memory uses, what? 10W maximum maybe? Can't just be that...

I didn't interpret this as AMD blaming the memory. I concluded it was just some marketing guy adding a positive spin to an otherwise crappy situation.

Memory uses, what? 10W maximum maybe? Can't just be that...

Nope, way more, around 25w afaik

Amd releases a a hot fix driver to limit the power draw in things like Furmak next week. World ends the following day. Enjoy your weekend Gents :D

I guess 7Gbps boards don't have this issue, but they sent reviewers 8Gbps boards? So what now, downclock memory of all 480s?

Amd releases a a hot fix driver to limit the power draw in things like Furmak next week. World ends the following day. Enjoy your weekend Gents :D

Well the problem isn't furmark, but nice try.

Well above spec in gaming stress tests.

Over 7A vs maximum spec of 5.5A.

Enjoy your weekend :)

Reddit reports that they are considering sending pixie dust in specially made titanium envelopes. ;)

The most amusing thing to me is that if you want to knock nvidia you have misrepresented cache and rop counts to be smug about, you can't even get your knocking up to standards :p

The only knocking up done here is by you. Trying to build a mountain out of a grain of sand. :D

I will agree that Metro Last Light 4K is insanely taxing. The GPU utilization is higher because it was more to render before it can accept more commands from the CPU.

That said they should have never made it this close to spec with NO headroom what so ever. It should have been 8 pin, no two ways about it. And OC should be disabled to be honest on 6 pin variants. The second you touch power level or clock, or voltage, you are out of spec. It is VERY possible to overclock without violating spec IF the card was designed for that.

Now as to the difference between momentary spikes between the 960/970 and RX480, and the subtle differences between PCPer and Toms (among others) There are all kinds of variables. But it all depends on the time resolution of the scope, and the thickness of the wire (Mutli strand thin wires conduct high frequency much better due to skin effect), and if there is a pass filter attached which levels out noise.

When I was doing sample measurements at my last job, I was using a fixed time width sampling method on a fixed clock. I had to do both sample averaging and data smoothing. But with that I managed to lower the S:N ratio by an order of magnitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only knocking up done here is by you. Trying to build a mountain out of a grain of sand. :D

Dude AMD admitted they f''ed up lol, how is that Leldra making a mountain out of a grain of sand.

AMD needs to fix this, they can't get this card into OEM's hands if they don't, they loose system builders and then general consumers will not want to buy this card either because if it. It will hurt their total sales number big time.

Downplaying this won't help AMD at all. Now we just have to see what happens on Tuesday.

Still its a limited amount lol,
Interestingly it is spread between PCI-E and the six pin. So 11 watts give or take.on each. Now since the six pin is capable of 192 watts with a 75 watt spec. Would you like to elaborate what the PCI-E is capable of with a spec of also 75 watts.
Keep building your imaginary mountain. :)

Meanwhile, moderators on r/amd still claim my post is 'rumor/FUD'

Well, if you have an issue with them, complain to them. leldra, you must get your jimmies going because so far, all the posts I have seen of yours are Anti AMD and nothing else. How about offering to help folks out instead or other such things. Oh well, I am sure you will never let us forget this so, carry on. :rolleyes:

Interestingly it is spread between PCI-E and the six pin. So 11 watts give or take.on each. Now since the six pin is capable of 192 watts with a 75 watt spec. Would you like to elaborate what the PCI-E is capable of with a spec of also 75 watts.
Keep building your imaginary mountain. :)

Dude you are fuckin trolling

You have people that have done the tests and they understand why the specs are important and what happens if those specs are not met.

People have been saying read up, read the hell up, this is simple shit to understand. Its ohms law and what happens when you have a wire that can only do so much and you push it.

I don't understand how the people that think this isn't a problem even graduated high school....

Must of went to a school that doesn't require physics to graduate.....

Must have had enough common sense to do so. Yes it is simple and everyone understands it their way. I for one dont see it as an issue.

Must have had enough common sense to do so. Yes it is simple and everyone understands it their way. I for one dont see it as an issue.

Actually this is better put a 5.5 amp fuse in a system that draws 6 amps

Its simple, it will blow, it might take some time or it might happen immediately, but eventually it will happen

Well, if you have an issue with them, complain to them. leldra, you must get your jimmies going because so far, all the posts I have seen of yours are Anti AMD and nothing else. How about offering to help folks out instead or other such things. Oh well, I am sure you will never let us forget this so, carry on. :rolleyes:

there's no better help o the people than provide correct information. in my opinion ieldra made an absolutely great work gathering all of that information in the crapdit post because this is a serious issue, while every fanboy was trying to defend this card from the problem, were very very few who decided to spread the correct information, you know when you have a big company with no official statements more than "we will fix it with a patch" you know the issue is serious, people here and specially at crapdit love to defend without any knowledge and by spreading publicly the correct information ieldra was helping the people out there first to put an eye in their cards, everyone carried by the hype train almost instantly jumped into the new overclocker's dream and all of them wanted a card with a minimum 1300mhz clock, second this helped people to stay away of this card until a solution by AMD is provided this specially useful in case of a total recall.. So I can almost be sure that without the effort of ieldra and others AMD would have never put so "fast" attention into this matter, they could even just passed ignoring the issue because no one would be alert about this.

This is certainly a victory for those who really decided to spread the truth and correct information with knowledge and sources, fighting against every AMD fanboy saying "there's no issue, all is fake, all it's fabricated to give a bad AMD image, it's just nvidia shills badmouthing AMD" then what can every AMD fanboy say now that they admitted the power issue?. what are they going to defend? are they going to apologize to the people they insulted by make all of this power issue public?. no, right?... so yes, this was a victory won against the ignorance and misinformation every AMD defender was trying to blindly protect without knowledge of the matter.

Better to hold off on a purchase until they work this out. See if it affects performance or not.

Dude you are fuckin trolling

You have people that have done the tests and they understand why the specs are important and what happens if those specs are not met.

People have been saying read up, read the hell up, this is simple shit to understand. Its ohms law and what happens when you have a wire that can only do so much and you push it.

I don't understand how the people that think this isn't a problem even graduated high school....

Must of went to a school that doesn't require physics to graduate.....

Not to completely disagree, but i once had a car with tires rated for 180km/h that I ran at 200 without dying in a fire.

Not to completely disagree, but i once had a car with tires rated for 180km/h that I ran at 200 without dying in a fire.

Dude they are tries, do that all the time see what happens. Will they last as long? Fastest 25k spent, for a Veryon, a 15 sec run and ya gotta change the tires!

Do you know for cars that can do 250mph, they do one test like that and they have to get new tires lol.

You can stress any type of system for a limited time and it won't affect the system but do it for a long enough time even if the stress is less then the max it will affect the system.

Its like bending a piece a metal, if you bend it, and leave it and then bend it again and leave it, it won't break. But if you keep bending it back and forth, it will get warm where the bend is occurring and eventual break.

there's no better help o the people than provide correct information. in my opinion ieldra made an absolutely great work gathering all of that information in the crapdit post because this is a serious issue, while every fanboy was trying to defend this card from the problem, were very very few who decided to spread the correct information, you know when you have a big company with no official statements more than "we will fix it with a patch" you know the issue is serious, people here and specially at crapdit love to defend without any knowledge and by spreading publicly the correct information ieldra was helping the people out there first to put an eye in their cards, everyone carried by the hype train almost instantly jumped into the new overclocker's dream and all of them wanted a card with a minimum 1300mhz clock, second this helped people to stay away of this card until a solution by AMD is provided this specially useful in case of a total recall.. So I can almost be sure that without the effort of ieldra and others AMD would have never put so "fast" attention into this matter, they could even just passed ignoring the issue because no one would be alert about this.

This is certainly a victory for those who really decided to spread the truth and correct information with knowledge and sources, fighting against every AMD fanboy saying "there's no issue, all is fake, all it's fabricated to give a bad AMD image, it's just nvidia shills badmouthing AMD" then what can every AMD fanboy say now that they admitted the power issue?. what are they going to defend? are they going to apologize to the people they insulted by make all of this power issue public?. no, right?... so yes, this was a victory won against the ignorance and misinformation every AMD defender was trying to blindly protect without knowledge of the matter.

:rolleyes: In my opinion, leldra has done nothing but badmouth AMD from day one but hey, must be the bad AMD fanboys, ok. :rolleyes:

Do that for a few months and your tire will probably explode one day. You don't want exploding tires at 200km/h.

then should be easy for you understand the issue, you ran at 200km/h for how much time? how many times? that's what people consider a power spike related to the load of the RX 480, run a couple of the same tires at 150km/h, other couple of the same tires at 180km/h as advertised and other couple of the same tires at 210km/h for the same period of time all six tires, then you will tell me which one of those tires was damaged faster.. (y) same happens with the motherboard, you run spikes sometimes? no issue, you run a heavy sustained load overtime and you will cause damage..

read this:

Claymore's Dual Ethereum+Decred GPU Miner v4.7 (Windows/Linux)

mining rig which survived 3 years with 3x280X inside after few hours of 3x480 mining

this is just between the same week of launch of the card just make your own conclusions.

Nice..... Get that claim in where ever you can
original.jpg

:rolleyes: In my opinion, leldra has done nothing but badmouth AMD from day one but hey, must be the bad AMD fanboys, ok. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess all the people with molten connectors/broken PCI-E slots/dead audio are out to get AMD, hmm?

How is it badmouthing when it's all factual information provided by reliable sources, of which he just relayed?

Man, you AMD fans are acting worse than Nvidia fans during the 3.5GB fiasco. Even when the company publicly acknowledged the problem you still complained that people talked about the problem causing bad image for AMD.

So what have you done to help the situation outside denying the problem exists/sweeping the problem under the rug? Do quote.

take as you want to take it, you can't be discussed either because everything which isn't AMD made is bad, everything what's nvidia or intel it's bad... I can't understand how spreading the true and warnings about this power issue it's badmouth AMD when even AMD admitted the power issue and is trying to fix it. yes, the issue it's there and was thanks to the effort of all who decided to fight for it that AMD is looking for it now instead of ignoring the problem. how the hell is that badmouth? speak the truth is not badmouth.

Let me put it this way, I have always argued that nowadays, using my rough estimations based on what I see, there is too much of a focus on who says what rather than the actual content of the argument. So, I am widely perceived as a troll by the r/AMD community yet it is I, the troll, who publicizes a legitimate failing of the RX480. Perhaps in the future some of those average users will care less what AdoredTV (just for example) says and focus more on he is able to prove : ) If a troll can be correct about the RX480's power problems, maybe AdoredTV/LTT/J2Z etc can be wrong about X, Y ,Z. I openly admit I'm quite amused by the fact that I have caused such a ruckus, precisely because I have always argued that it is very easy to cause a ruckus, and that an ass could AdoredTV :p

Nice..... Get that claim in where ever you can
original.jpg

See above lol, I'm quite amused by all this, does it bother you to imagine my amusement while I am posting ?

How is it not making sense that the video done by AdornTV guy on youtube describes a 960 doing exactly the same thing. Not only that , but drawing even more power than the card in question.
No fires then. No broken or burned motherboards. Reddit reports that in China pixie dust is being packed into titanium envelopes, so it can reach us just in time for Tue.
Its pretty clear who is spreading misinformation for a minute of sensationalism.

How is it not making sense that the video done by AdornTV guy on youtube describes a 960 doing exactly the same thing. Not only that , but drawing even more power than the card in question.
No fires then. No broken or burned motherboards. Reddit reports that in China pixie dust is being packed into titanium envelopes, so it can reach us just in time for Tue.
Its pretty clear who is spreading misinformation for a minute of sensationalism.

Alright. Im-ho-tep. I'm going to spell this out for you, one last time.

The behavior of the Strix 960 has nothing to do with the behavior of the RX480.

The 960 shows spikes in Tom's review because those are transients that are suppressed in the matter of microseconds, those are to be filtered out when you are looking at sustained draw. 12V @ 5.5A is the maximum = 66W. RX480 is average over 7.4A @ ~ 11.6V. Not allowed.

I'm not trying to irritate you here, so please read this bearing that mind; you're either pretending not to understand because YOU want to spread misinformation, or you genuinely don't understand the PCI-E specifications.
Eh, forget it, no need to feed his ego. :D

Of course it wasn't me who brought it to AMD's attention, AMD knew, and they didn't care : ) They still hyped the card, and implied two of them consume 180W or less in their demo, and you and a bunch of others ate all that hype up, and accepted it as fact whenever it was repeated by any of a number of bad sources with circumstantial (if any) evidence to support it.

I presented an argument backed by tons of evidence, I was an asshole to some people while doing it, true - but in the end, this is a technical issue; how you feel about me shouldn't influence your objectivity about AMD's non-compliance with the PCI-Express specification and the damage it can cause, and has already started causing.

Last edited:

Because it isn't doing the same thing, Adroned doesn't understand Ohm's law he doesn't understand how temperature and resistance work hand in hand to cause wires to fail. When you have spikes, spikes don't increase the temp of the wire (at least not long enough) to increase the resistance to the breaking point of that wire because after the spike is done the temps go back down again. Again basic physics.

I don't get why you don't listen to people that have degrees in EE or physics but you will listen to a useless youtuber who doesn't understand even the smallest parts of these things.

it make no sense, why? first the GTX 960 is nothing related to the RX480 second because he just looked for excuses to allow AMD do this shit, instead of looking for solutions he looked for a way to redeem AMD by attacking the GTX 960, he never found a way to prove the issue never existed, just a way to "hey if nvidia did it, then AMD can do it no issues for me while I can prove that other guy is doing the same" now, the ASUS GTX 960? First have to be mention that it was a issue apparently happening only to ASUS GTX 960 STRIX and it was fastly debunked directly by PCPer. (if you need the proof and links just tell me and I can look it for you). that's why he wasn't making sense, that's the real fight in all this mess, who is spreading the real information? all of those who provide reliable sources, proof and documentation or all of those who provide only excuses to defend AMD? that's the real question.

Back