AMD Catalyst 15. 2 Beta Driver - Update

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dying-light-benchmark-performance-analysis,4060.html

I guess its over. Even Toms reviews a game and says just get an Nvidia card as it’s cheaper and works better with no mention that I saw of NVidia not playing fair. If Nvidia and its GameWorks is really doing what AMD says then AMD needs to take some f**king action.

I stopped looking at Toms Hardware reviews years ago when they forced out the founder. Here was a guy that was not looking at the bottom line so much but wanted to give honest reviews on products.

We still have to remember that AMD is the only reason Nvidia does not charge probably 50% more for their cards. If they were the only game in town you would not see them giving money to the developers either so there would be fewer games to choose from. Monopolies decrease innovation and development.

I stopped looking at Toms Hardware reviews years ago when they forced out the founder. Here was a guy that was not looking at the bottom line so much but wanted to give honest reviews on products.

We still have to remember that AMD is the only reason Nvidia does not charge probably 50% more for their cards. If they were the only game in town you would not see them giving money to the developers either so there would be fewer games to choose from. Monopolies decrease innovation and development.

And Nvidia is the only reason why 290 series cards cost less than 300$

AMD is the reason 290 series cards are still on the market, and cost less than $300.
They over-produced during the mining craze and got shafted by the Used market in the months that followed. If they had actually cleared their stock at a normal pace we'd probably be on Fiji by now.

And the 290 was as low as $300 in early summer last year. Nvidia had nothing to do with that, the 780 was still $450-$500.
PowerColor AXR9 290 4GBD5-MDHG/OC Radeon R9 290 4GB ($300) ($357.99 - $28 w/ code VGAWEEKEND8 - $30 MIR)

This entire situation is almost exclusively AMD's doing.

Any monopoly will charge monopoly driven prices, but Nvidia is the 900 lb gorilla here not AMD. I may be mistaken but I can not recall in the last few years when their cards(Nvidia) that are in the same class as AMD cards cost less.

Cards Being Wiped Out Left and Right

What the GeForce GTX 970 is really doing is knocking cards out of the ring left and right. The GeForce GTX 780 is knocked out, yes it is being discontinued, but even if it wasn't its $400 price tag makes it irrelevant with the $329 GeForce GTX 970. The AMD Radeon R9 290 is also irrelevant, unless AMD comes out with a price cut. At $399 it is also outmatched by the cheaper and faster GTX 970. The only thing that will save the AMD R9 290 at this point is going to be a price cut. AMD has to get the price honestly to $299 for the AMD R9 290 to remain competitive in our opinion.

A couple of other cards we haven't talked much about are also in danger. The GeForce GTX 770 (being discontinued) and AMD's Radeon R9 280X. AMD Radeon R9 280X cards are in that price range where the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 now exists. The AMD R9 280X is no competition for GTX 970, much slower than R9 290, and based on Tahiti GPU technology, (remember this used to be the Radeon HD 7970) it is far away from GTX 970 performance. The GeForce GTX 970 renders the AMD Radeon R9 280X completely obsolete. There is no point in buying the AMD Radeon R9 280X. The GeForce GTX 970 is ridiculously faster. AMD has a lot of catching up to do for the GeForce GTX 970. The big question everyone is asking is the bigger version of AMD Tonga (Radeon R9 285's potential "XT" cousin R9 285X?wink up to the job to compete with GTX 970.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...0_gaming_4g_video_card_review/11#.VQMhgOG8pz8

Roll on 15.2, I'm getting racked off with AMD drivers again.
Maybe, just maybe they can write a driver that works properly.

I've had previous issues with DVI and HDMI devices not having any audio, they were a pig to get going on my 290x.
Once I got them working I have not dared to upgrade the video driver for fear of having to go through the same crap again.
(I previously had a GTX580 and everything always worked with every driver, every time.)
The AMD driver gave my projectors audio the exact same name as my monitor so I had to guess which to use when the hifi was off, but at least it worked.
The projector and monitor are connected via DVI but the AMD driver mistook them to be HDMI.
My Oppo 105 BD player/surround processor is connected via HDMI.

Everything was working with 14.11, all my audio devices were available and usable until...
I upgraded my Oppo 105EU to a 105D today.
I could then use the Oppo as an HDMI display device but there was no associated sound device so I couldnt use it for films, same old fecking problem.
So I installed 14.12 and it installed an audio device for the Oppo which works great, but now it wont allow audio to my monitor or projector, they have no sound device, same old fecking DVI problem !!!

Why do AMD insist on blocking audio to DVI devices.
When it mistakes the DVI ports as HDMI, it sends sound no problem.
But when correctly detected as DVI, no sound.

For FUCKS SAKE!

$10 on this driver missing crossfire profiles for the latest games.
AC Rogue came out last week, it literally uses the same profile as Black Flag but you have to force it through CCC. Just out of curiosity I want to see if AMD takes 5 seconds to copy-paste Black Flag's settings and create an actual Rogue crossfire profile. The AC community figured it out within a few hours of release. If they don't fix the profile it will be the nail in the coffin for me. I don't care about Rogue, but it will show me if AMD is lazy/incompetent. Is Rogue's profile worth my $400+ to AMD? I mean I think it's easy money but we shall see.

Also... Far Cry 4 and Dying Light are missing profiles, those are just the 2 I know of.
AMD's actions in the immediate future (between now and June-ish) will decide whether or not I stick with them.

Roll on 15.2, I'm getting racked off with AMD drivers again.
Maybe, just maybe they can write a driver that works properly.

I've had previous issues with DVI and HDMI devices not having any audio, they were a pig to get going on my 290x.

Why do AMD insist on blocking audio to DVI devices.
When it mistakes the DVI ports as HDMI, it sends sound no problem.
But when correctly detected as DVI, no sound.

Overnight (PC left on), the audio device for my monitor has appeared as an HDMI device despite it being connected via DVI.
I fear that this will change after reboots etc, for now it is all working again - because its treated as connected via HDMI.
Such a relief that I dont have to sort it out, phew.

I sort of hope the next driver doesnt have any performance increases cos I really dont want to update.

The problem still exists in the driver though, any DVI device is not allowed to pass audio.
The time this wasnt the case was when it called my HDMI device DVI and DVIs became HDMI, then I got sound on actual DVI and no sound on HDMI.
This is how I know AMD are blocking audio on DVI devices.

*** Can the blocking of audio over DVI please be changed?
I cant possibly recommend your cards based on this alone, I wouldnt dare put the people I know through this kind of hassle.
Especially when your gfx cards have 2xDVI port and 1xHDMI.

*** Also can you cure the mouse cursor corruption.
It only ever happens some time after using my projector direct from my gfx card.
My projector can then be off and I will still get cursor corruption hours later but only on my monitor. If I power up the projector, the cursor is fine on that.
My cursor is a huge square mess of strange pixels or a few pixels after using the pj last night and its very hard to locate the click point, very annoying.
If I reboot and dont use my projector, the corruption does not happen.

Its not just a dual screen issue because I have never had the corruption when using my Oppo 105 as a second display device (and when using the projector through the Oppo it is fine).
edit: tell a lie, I now get cursor corruption on the projector through the oppo, but at the same time it is now ok on the monitor. The corruption shifted display.

Last edited:
Latest games? Far Cry 4 has been sitting idly on my desktop never to be opened (since NOVEMBER) because it still lacks one.

Yea, I’ve past on two good sales now because of poor driver support.

I know the new drive is for FreeSync but...

"While FreeSync monitors have started to hit the shelves in Europe, eager buyers will have to wait until March 19 for AMD to release a FreeSync-compatible driver. When the driver is released, it will only support single-card setups; those with CrossFire systems will have to wait even longer"

Will the fun ever start?

It will be some time before a monitor I want has FreeSync anyway. :(

I guess we need to wait another 2 months for a Dying Light crossfire profile.

"I took the press driver down at AMDs request. The 'final' beta does have other subtle differences including a Dying Light Crossfire profile etc. So to avoid confusion, I took the driver I posted moments ago down."

"I took the press driver down at AMDs request. The 'final' beta does have other subtle differences including a Dying Light Crossfire profile etc. So to avoid confusion, I took the driver I posted moments ago down."
I'm sorry I don't see how this relates to my post. Could you be more specific?
Maybe point some arrows to what I should be looking at.

Hello Everyone,

We want the Catalyst 15.3 Beta driver with AMD FreeSync technology to be the highest quality as possible and are working hard to release it as soon as possible. I’ll make sure to update everyone here when the driver is ready for download.

Thank you for your patience.

The problem still exists in the driver though, any DVI device is not allowed to pass audio.
The time this wasnt the case was when it called my HDMI device DVI and DVIs became HDMI, then I got sound on actual DVI and no sound on HDMI.
This is how I know AMD are blocking audio on DVI devices.

*** Can the blocking of audio over DVI please be changed?
I cant possibly recommend your cards based on this alone, I wouldnt dare put the people I know through this kind of hassle.
Especially when your gfx cards have 2xDVI port and 1xHDMI.

*** Also can you cure the mouse cursor corruption.
It only ever happens some time after using my projector direct from my gfx card.
My projector can then be off and I will still get cursor corruption hours later but only on my monitor. If I power up the projector, the cursor is fine on that.
My cursor is a huge square mess of strange pixels or a few pixels after using the pj last night and its very hard to locate the click point, very annoying.
If I reboot and dont use my projector, the corruption does not happen.

Its not just a dual screen issue because I have never had the corruption when using my Oppo 105 as a second display device (and when using the projector through the Oppo it is fine).
edit: tell a lie, I now get cursor corruption on the projector through the oppo, but at the same time it is now ok on the monitor. The corruption shifted display.
Continuation of these issues.

I havent rebooted since and my Oppo has changed from being an HDMI device back to DVI and its sound functions are gone.
Gaming without sound is great.

The driver doesnt even keep the same features active on the same boot!
And the mouse cursor corruption persists.

Back