AMD Catalyst 13.3 Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at AMD send word that the official Catalyst 13.3 Beta drivers are now available. Grab them if you need them, here's the highlights of this beta release:

Feature Highlights of the AMD Catalyst™ 13.3 Beta Driver for Windows
  • Improve performance in Sim City 5 up to 16 percent
  • Improves performance in Far Cry 3 up to 5 percent
  • Improves latency performance issues seen in Tomb Raider and Hitman Absolution
  • Resolves slight corruption seen in Tomb Raider with TressFX enabled for CrossFire and single GPU configurations

16% better performance in SimCity -- isn't that kind of an oxymoron?

Seriously though -- SimCity sucks total ass, glad I got my money back :)

Cat 13.3 Beta before Cat 13.2 Beta is even finalized, heh

livin off Beta builds of each driver version, last was Cat 13.2 Beta 7, this one is technically Cat 13.3 Beta 2, so already up to build 2 of that driver version

Cat 13.3 Beta before Cat 13.2 Beta is even finalized, heh

livin off Beta builds of each driver version, last was Cat 13.2 Beta 7, this one is technically Cat 13.3 Beta 2, so already up to build 2 of that driver version

They've stopped monthly WHQL some time ago :)

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1696904

13 is year, 3 is month the driver is released (regardless of beta or WHQL). 13.2 beta 7 only says its beta 7 released in feb 2013. Since there are no more monthly WHQL anymore, next WHQL is probably named according to the month its released.

Last edited:
They still haven't fixed the flickering issue (the one where you enable and then disable LCD Overdrive to fix until the next reboot). I'm a little bit stunned this hasn't been fixed yet, but I guess that wasn't really the point of this release. I sent feedback though and since I'm so important it should be fixed by the time this goes WHQL.

They still haven't fixed the flickering issue (the one where you enable and then disable LCD Overdrive to fix until the next reboot). I'm a little bit stunned this hasn't been fixed yet, but I guess that wasn't really the point of this release. I sent feedback though and since I'm so important it should be fixed by the time this goes WHQL.

Make sure to report it (again if you did before) here, http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EDE

Talked with a buddy on overclock.net, an AMD rep, he said these should clear up 'most' issues with Tressfx and latency in Tomb Raider. I have already beaten TR so someone else might chyme in here on the performance difference,etc.

Anyone know if the CAP is included within the new driver? I don't see a new CAP released, or a separate download for a new CAP. I think the last driver they released had the CAP included within it, so I think that might be the case here. I'm on nVidia but one of my friends is on AMD/ATi and has been waiting for any new kind of driver release for Tomb Raider (although he is almost done with the game).

Anyone know if the CAP is included within the new driver? I don't see a new CAP released, or a separate download for a new CAP. I think the last driver they released had the CAP included within it, so I think that might be the case here. I'm on nVidia but one of my friends is on AMD/ATi and has been waiting for any new kind of driver release for Tomb Raider (although he is almost done with the game).

Pretty sure they're including CAPs in the driver releases now.

The last beta installed but for some reason this one doesn't. I receive an error message stating everything installed EXCEPT the driver. I tried uninstalling everything then trying again, manually putting it on and received a "This driver is not intended for this platform" so it looks like any attempt I make is at the driver it self's fault. Had to go back to the ones from Feb 26th. Not sure if this has anything to do with me having Windows 7 x64 Enterprise since I see so many successful posts here. Tried running it in compatibility mode for just Windows 7 only for the installer to eat up 25% of my CPU for 20 min and do nothing. Oh well hopefully the next beta will actually install for me.

What do you use LCD overdrive for? According to the AMD option configuration text, it's only useful with cheap LCDs that show motion artifacts on screen (evidently because of high response timings.) The option attempts to "overdrive" the gpu's output to somehow compensate and lessen or eliminate an LCD's normal ghosting artifacts. But, this is an option reserved for cheap/old LCDs. I've never owned a monitor that required it, and so I've never used it. What does it do for you?

What do you use LCD overdrive for? According to the AMD option configuration text, it's only useful with cheap LCDs that show motion artifacts on screen (evidently because of high response timings.) The option attempts to "overdrive" the gpu's output to somehow compensate and lessen or eliminate an LCD's normal ghosting artifacts. But, this is an option reserved for cheap/old LCDs. I've never owned a monitor that required it, and so I've never used it. What does it do for you?

I don't use LCD overdrive. I said that's how to fix the flickering issue-turn it on, then off again right away, then it doesn't flicker until you reboot again.

I don't use LCD overdrive. I said that's how to fix the flickering issue-turn it on, then off again right away, then it doesn't flicker until you reboot again.

This also fixed no HDMI audio (with HDMI only to TV) on some of the newer drivers. No idea why. ???

OpenGL is broken in these drivers, you'll get: atioglxx.dll as the fault and the program will promptly crash.

OpenGL is broken in these drivers, you'll get: atioglxx.dll as the fault and the program will promptly crash.

Noticed the same. Loaded up furmark (uses openGL) and got a crash. Then tried Heaven using the openGL API and again a crash. Went back to the 13.2 betas and both ran fine.

Unable to run OpenGL benchmarks of OpenCL benchmarks but the driver works awesome for UT3.

:D

I've had that issue on every driver release since 12.8 -- it's the ONLY version I can install and have it work great in both 2D and 3D mode.

Noticed the same. Loaded up furmark (uses openGL) and got a crash. Then tried Heaven using the openGL API and again a crash. Went back to the 13.2 betas and both ran fine.

Furmark 1.10.5 runs fine for me on a 6850.

Really?

Is it cpu bound?

It must be, it doesn't use much acceleration by today's standards.

I'm almost there though... 973fps with an i5 @ 4.5Ghz (the 6850 is at 940/1100).

Edit: I just realized that was at 640x480. At 1280x1024 it's 968fps. lol

It must be, it doesn't use much acceleration by today's standards.

I'm almost there though... 973fps with an i5 @ 4.5Ghz (the 6850 is at 940/1100).

Edit: I just realized that was at 640x480. At 1280x1024 it's 968fps. lol

God, I remember when that game came out and I could barely get it to run :p

Back