AMD Catalyst 13.11 Beta 9.2 Driver is out

Resolves intermittent crashes seen in legacy DirectX®​ 9 applications

That last line really tells me that developers need to move away from that DX API version. You can get a cheap DX10/DX11 card now so there shouldn't be any reason to stay on DX 9. It's always been my long held belief that just catering to an older API is holding back PC gaming in general. It doesn't help push gaming visuals further or being innovative by sticking to an older API. And, just because it's for the Xbox 360 console and making game porting easier (and cheaper) are just poor lazy excuses honestly.

That or just move on to OpenGL-- at least those on Windows XP still will get games that look as good as DirectX since they're pretty much feature parity by now in terms of graphics features.

Dammit...literally checked that page one hour ago, lol. Now it's a whole new driver. What do you AMD guys do for drivers? Uninstall, reboot, install? Or just install on top?

Dammit...literally checked that page one hour ago, lol. Now it's a whole new driver. What do you AMD guys do for drivers? Uninstall, reboot, install? Or just install on top?

Personally, I follow this method:

- Uninstall, reboot
- Boot into safe mode, run Driver Sweeper, reboot
- Install drivers, reboot

I believe it is highly recommended to uninstall the beta drivers before installing new ones, but I could be mistaken. Many people simply install on top of the old ones.

I install on top, then disable ULPS in afterburner (for crossfire), reboot, and make sure overclocks are set right.

Run driver sweeper on win 8 or 8.1 and say helloooooo reformat. Recently never had a problem installing right over top. Had many AMD cards over the last year never had issues. Install over top and restart good to go.

I always install on top unless I've upgraded cards or switched from red to green or vice versa. As far as I know it's never caused a problem after doing it that way for years.

Thanks everyone. I'll install on top and then reboot...I'm on Windows 8.1 x64.

don't install this drivers unless you like to have stuttering and no vsync on many games

Btw quick question. It's been a while since I've owned an AMD card. Are these drivers always in beta? Is there ever a final version released?

Never had an issue with simply installing new drivers from either camp. The one time I used DriverSweeper it hosed my system........avoid like the plague

Always just install new drivers on top of the old ones, no issues.

I wonder how many of this posters are long time AMD users, installing drivers over the top, and wanting top performance/stable gameplay?

WOW.

takes me less than a minute with DDU, and NEVER had any issues.

whats not to llike?

takes me less than a minute with DDU, and NEVER had any issues.

whats not to llike?

all I do is

see notification of update (WHQL or beta), click update, wait 2 minutes for download, wait for install and done.

and never have any issues.

if it works for you, fine...but its only a matter of time before all that gunk that CIM does not install becomes a problem.

I wonder how many of this posters are long time AMD users, installing drivers over the top, and wanting top performance/stable gameplay?

WOW.

why?

not quite sure what you are implying....

My last windows install on this system is over 3 years old with simply installing drivers over each other and replacing only newer files.

With all the driver improvements, performance is better than it was 3 years ago on a clean install.

Dunno what some are trying to get at.

this is [H].

lots of people monkey about with stuff.

As enthusiasts, we frequently break things trying to eek out that last little but of performance.

Its always wise to start with squeeky clean installs to rule out at least that bit of the equation.

Just like reviewers/benchmarkers always start with fresh OS installs for the same reason.

this is [H].

lots of people monkey about with stuff.

As enthusiasts, we frequently break things trying to eek out that last little but of performance.

Its always wise to start with squeeky clean installs to rule out at least that bit of the equation.

Just like reviewers/benchmarkers always start with fresh OS installs for the same reason.

Ahhh... I break things all the time! :D

That's what restore points & backups are for. But driver wise I'd say they have proven extremely stable for me.

Ahhh... I break things all the time! :D

That's what restore points & backups are for. But driver wise I'd say they have proven extremely stable for me.

Restore points... only good for getting a machine back into being useable just enough to save your date before you do a drive wipe and start from scratch.

Every time I have ever tried to do a system restore, something has become seriously screwed up. Stuff just doesn't work quite right after doing a system restore.

So now I just disable system restore and don't have to worry about Windows using as much space.

I install of top and never had issues, although I never install Beta either. If you install Beta, then you best clean up your drivers as mentioned from posters, if you don't install Beta, then simply install over top, Use common sense as you would for any application you install.

WOW.

for the last 5+ years i've ONLY installed new drivers right over the previous and have never had issues... so WOW I must be lucky

Restore points... only good for getting a machine back into being useable just enough to save your date before you do a drive wipe and start from scratch.

Every time I have ever tried to do a system restore, something has become seriously screwed up. Stuff just doesn't work quite right after doing a system restore.

So now I just disable system restore and don't have to worry about Windows using as much space.

Yeah I have to agree, I keep restore points but don't depend on them beyond getting a full system restore from a seperate backup.

Well, at least I'm seeing I'm not the only "lucky" one here.

Only do the CCleaner/Driver sweep thing if you have performance or stability issues with a driver update/rollback.

Installing right over the top of previous drivers has worked fine since at least the 4xxx series of cards were new.

I've done both, install on top and also clean out drivers (there is an AMD driver uninstall utility that was available in the recent past, I've only used that) prior to install.

Had no issues with either, but of late I follow the clean and then install route.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit by the way and I've heard of some people running Win 8 having trouble with the AMD uninstall utility though, so ymmv.

I'm using a gtx 590 currently but when I had to RMA I installed my 5870 and backup drivers over the nvidia drivers and didn't uninstall either after and haven't had problems.

Anyone experiencing BSODs related to youtube/flash with the 13.11 Beta9.2 driver? I've had two now over two days, both times they happened as I was making the youtube player fullscreen. The errorcode is "0xa0000001" which also suggests the driver.

Are you using Firefox ? Because it's an issue that has returned with the latest beta:
Moving Firefox to background while playing a flash video in full screen mode and bring it back to view will freeze the app (see 809055)

Anyone experiencing BSODs related to youtube/flash with the 13.11 Beta9.2 driver? I've had two now over two days, both times they happened as I was making the youtube player fullscreen. The errorcode is "0xa0000001" which also suggests the driver.

I had one of those the other day but I can't remember what it was. Aside from that, I've also had this issue twice with my 290x:

http://stfcc.org/misc/vids/?name=290x corruption

Fun times.

Edit:
Just had another BSOD again, while encoding and watching a video with DXVA. 0x00000101 was the STOP code which can be caused by the GPU. Hopefully it's just a driver issue and not a faulty card.

Last edited:
Are you using Firefox ? Because it's an issue that has returned with the latest beta:
Moving Firefox to background while playing a flash video in full screen mode and bring it back to view will freeze the app (see 809055)

That doesn't seem directly related (I'm on FF25). In any case, FF doesn't run in ring-0 and so can't be directly responsible for the BSOD.

Back