AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta Are Out

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD sends word that the new AMD Catalyst™ 12.9 Beta drivers are now out. Here's a list of some of the featured highlights and fixes founf in the new drivers:

• AMD Catalyst Mobility support for AMD Enduro™ Technology
  • Tri and Quad CrossFire + Eyefinity configurations – Users will no longer see lower than expected performance in certain DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications
  • FireFox – corruption is no longer observed on CrossFire configurations
  • Enabling Overdrive settings no longer increases clocks in all power states
  • AMD Video Converter support is available in AMD Catalyst 12.9 Beta Windows 7 and Windows Vista packages

Honestly, after AMD announced it would no longer stick to the monthly driver release and release drivers as needed. It appears that strategy is working out better for everyone. After the 12.8, my Crossfire 7950's is smooth as butter. Hopefully they will keep this up and we have finally see the end of the lack lust Driver support that has plagued ATI/AMD for years.

Do these fix the horrible flickering in Space Marine yet? It hasn't worked properly since Catalyst 12.4 (5 months ago!!).

Better performance on 12.8 WHQL in BF3 on 7970 CFX for me..
Really hope 12.9 helps for CFX+Eyefinity since that's compounding both of the AMD issues; I'm getting tired of stuttering @ 60 FPS and pretty much having to go single monitor for smooth gameplay.

So, to get the Borderlands 2 enhancements, do we need to install CAP3 over these also?

*edit*

So there is a 12.9 CAP1 already out also but with a date the day prior to this release?

AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 12.9 CAP 1 9/25/2012

Latest Beta Driver 178 MB 12.9 Beta 9/26/2012

Better performance on 12.8 WHQL in BF3 on 7970 CFX for me..

Is this a conflict between the 12.9BETA and Cryengine/Frostbite because my Crysis 2 created a weird symptom in CFx5770??

Rendering for cfx5770's improved and FPS increased across the board; except..............
Card #2 suffered the "zero out" or no activity state; below the min power state of the BIOS default 400MHz/800MHz(power saving mode) clocks. My familiarity w/this particular symptom stems from learning that in order to fix it the gfx card in question needs a BIOS flash. Ummmm not really up for it atm since: 1)software's in BETA 2)Current is fine. TBH the 12.8's, which I got running seemingly flawlessly thx to some system tweaks, unlocked some hidden potential in these cards. After a taste of the cat 12.9BETA--seeing Crysis 2(Extreme settings/Extreme PC settings @1680x1050 112fps)--was quite gratifying I must say xD! However the fps dipped to 25 when viewing distanced objects that signaled a problem. Wait, wait before jumping the gun like thinking they can't handle it, gottem running Cry2 @Extreme fixed 60fps. V-sync looks good with this game; adds some liquidity to the rendering w/o creating lagged turning/mouse responses. So Im thinking after running that well on a previous driver, something's up software side--loaded up the GPU overdrive page. Sure enough, the 2nd card was--this is weird--outputting at +-92%. 92% is usual for my rig and frostbite/cryengine; 100% if it's intense. But, using the 12.9BETA would dum out card2 to 0% once my reticle was looking up as opposed to staring at an object from 0 distance from the object itself. Srsly, if I stared at a wall GPU #2 kicked up to the proper usage, any distance between my fov center and objects made the usage 0%. Single-gpu optimized games like GRO ran nicely tho; graphics were much crisper then anything I'd seen from ATi in the past. They're on the right path with this latest approach, save all the hiccups and headaches along the way. Hoping 12.9WHQL will have a fix for this becase crossfire performance was definitely increased. Back with 12.8 atm Crysis 2 stable at 75+fps :)

--enabled vsync again--60fps period ;D Just looks that good!!

Last edited:
There will be no 12.9 WHQL.

Therre is only 3 days left in the month.

I want to know this too!

No idea (no switchable graphics on my desktop running 8 Pro x64).

A further heads-up for those running Windows 7 (not 8) - a version of the Catalyst 12.9 beta is available that *includes* .NET Framework 4.0 if you don't have it installed (CCC requires .NET Framework 4.0). The reason why Windows 8 is exempt is that Windows 8 RTM includes .NET Framework 4.0.

It works!!! Finally!

Installation.

Delete and uninstall BOTH CARDS or on fresh install do not install the intel card.
Install 12.9 Beta drivers, let it say it can't find anything and reboot
Let WINDOWS UPDATE install the intel drivers
Then ENJOY!

Thank you AMD, took long enough!

CCC refuses to load, get a host application error, thats with dot net 4 installed.

Could someone explain why there are 2 versions of the 12.9s? 1 with .net 4.0 & I am guessing the other one doesn't have .net 4.0.

What's the difference / need of .net 4.0?

I am running 2x 7970s and 5760x1080.
In BF3 with 12.9 beta I get only 1 GPU usage at 1920x1080.
On 5760x1080 I get both GPUs used however the game freezes almost straight away.
Same issue I have with all the other drivers :(
Is there anyone with CFX 7970s and eyefinity who has a working driver combination for games such as bf3, planetside 2, skyrim, sr3, arma 2 etc?

Have CAP1 isntalled.

In regard to .net 4.0, it's required for all future catalyst releases to work properly.

This driver is poo. I get texture flashing/flickering like crazy in Skyrim & somehow this driver has also reduced color depth.

Here is a couple examples of 12.9 vs 12.8 in TESV. 12.9 was recorded first & 12.8 was recorded second.

http://youtu.be/Kfz8vz2Hvlc

http://youtu.be/F-mYy_usLsM

P.S. Both drivers used the 12.9 Cap 1 & all TESV settings were unchanged.

Last edited:
I am running 2x 7970s and 5760x1080.
In BF3 with 12.9 beta I get only 1 GPU usage at 1920x1080.
On 5760x1080 I get both GPUs used however the game freezes almost straight away.
Same issue I have with all the other drivers :(
Is there anyone with CFX 7970s and eyefinity who has a working driver combination for games such as bf3, planetside 2, skyrim, sr3, arma 2 etc?

Have CAP1 isntalled.

In regard to .net 4.0, it's required for all future catalyst releases to work properly.

Likely not the driver.
you either have a software or hardware incompability somewhere.

Could someone explain why there are 2 versions of the 12.9s? 1 with .net 4.0 & I am guessing the other one doesn't have .net 4.0.

What's the difference / need of .net 4.0?

CCC requires .NET 4.0; however, versions of Windows prior to 8 don't include it. Worse, they don't have Windows 8's "install-runtimes-on-demand" feature - if an application or game need a runtime, Windows 8 will go fetch it.

Data point - Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit (the Criterion reboot) requires .NET 3.5 (which is NOT included with Windows 8) - however, Windows 8 gets the info and offers to go fetch it *while the game is installing*; it will use your Internet connection if possible to do the fetch. (Same applies to DirectX, runtimes from Visual Studio, etc.)

Last edited:
So, to get the Borderlands 2 enhancements, do we need to install CAP3 over these also?

*edit*

So there is a 12.9 CAP1 already out also but with a date the day prior to this release?

AMD Catalyst Application Profiles 0.5 MB 12.9 CAP 1 9/25/2012

Latest Beta Driver 178 MB 12.9 Beta 9/26/2012

What Borderlands 2 enhancements? Am I missing something using 12.8 and 12.8 caps?

Ok, so installing these cleanly = flickering in Space Marine still. (come on AMD, can't fix this after 6 months?)

Installing 12.4, then upgrading to these by ONLY installing the INF file from the device manager = no flickering in Space Marine.

I'm guessing the INF installation prevents the broken bits of 12.9 from being installed, and leaves pieces of 12.4 on there.

Last edited:
Back