AMD “Capsaicin” Webcast Live From GDC

So apparently Radeon Pro Duo will be the AMD flagship card at least until 2017.

Suddenly I'm not very excited about Polaris.

Since they specifically call out HBM2 with Vega, it's a good bet that Polaris will be sticking with HBM1. Last I read, Hynix was behind schedule with their HBM2 production and AMD uses Hynix. On the other hand, Nvidia is mainly using Samsung, and they have been in HBM2 production for at least a month now. I wonder if Nvidia will hold off on their HBM2 Pascal cards until late this year, or will go ahead and launch them in May/June as scheduled.

Since they specifically call out HBM2 with Vega, it's a good bet that Polaris will be sticking with HBM1. Last I read, Hynix was behind schedule with their HBM2 production and AMD uses Hynix. On the other hand, Nvidia is mainly using Samsung, and they have been in HBM2 production for at least a month now. I wonder if Nvidia will hold off on their HBM2 Pascal cards until late this year, or will go ahead and launch them in May/June as scheduled.

As long as yields are good and production is in full swing, I wouldn't be too surprised if NVIDIA just came out swinging with HBM2 stacks in their halo products.

I've been a long time fan of AMD -- my xfire 290s are still rocking hard, but gotta be honest, I'm 90% sure I'll be going to a single card nvidia solution once their high end next gen comes out late this year, or early next year, tired of dealing with Crossfire bullshit.

I've been a long time fan of AMD -- my xfire 290s are still rocking hard, but gotta be honest, I'm 90% sure I'll be going to a single card nvidia solution once their high end next gen comes out late this year, or early next year, tired of dealing with Crossfire bullshit.

May want to hold off on emotional reactions. With DX 12 titles that are coming out, AMD is more than holding their own with architecture already built into the cards, and the new Crossfire drivers in the few games released with it seem to be performing much better. We don't know what NVidia's newer cards hold, but one rumor out there is that the new cards, even with HBM2, might still not have the hardware architecture to support Async compute, and there seems to not only be a hard push by AMD on that front, but more importantly, a more open willingness to use it by gaming developers.

TLDR version: AMD may just get stronger by virtue of more DX 12 titles being released into the marketplace, so you may just want to hold off on any kneejerk reactions just yet.

To be fair the crossfire bullshit scales better than SLI, but has worse game support.

I recently moved from 290x CF to a single 980 Ti and, along with a serious boost in performance, my machine is nowhere near as loud and the room stays noticeably cooler. My case has a 2-speed fan controller with five 140mm and 1 120mm fans in it, with the 290s, I ALWAYS had to turn the fan speed to high during gaming whereas I can keep it on low with the 980 Ti and it still be whisper quiet. I was on the green side until the Radeon 5xxx series and stayed with team red through 5, 6, 7, and 200 series; so I'm no fan boy for either side. It's also nice not having to deal with CF/SLI issues. It IS kinda annoying to be constantly updating GPU drivers, though I'm sure this will be nice when new games come out that need the new drivers.

TLDR version: AMD may just get stronger by virtue of more DX 12 titles being released into the marketplace, so you may just want to hold off on any kneejerk reactions just yet.

What AAA titles have been announced with DX12 support?

May want to hold off on emotional reactions. With DX 12 titles that are coming out, AMD is more than holding their own with architecture already built into the cards, and the new Crossfire drivers in the few games released with it seem to be performing much better. We don't know what NVidia's newer cards hold, but one rumor out there is that the new cards, even with HBM2, might still not have the hardware architecture to support Async compute, and there seems to not only be a hard push by AMD on that front, but more importantly, a more open willingness to use it by gaming developers.

If AMD do not bring a new GPU architecture to the market this year, then they simply don't. DX12 will not compensate for that fact.

And what AAA titles have been actually worth playing, at full price, on release that supported either company without trouble on THEIR end? If you list more than like, 2, that will tell everything anyone needs to know.

I recently moved from 290x CF to a single 980 Ti and, along with a serious boost in performance, my machine is nowhere near as loud and the room stays noticeably cooler. My case has a 2-speed fan controller with five 140mm and 1 120mm fans in it, with the 290s, I ALWAYS had to turn the fan speed to high during gaming whereas I can keep it on low with the 980 Ti and it still be whisper quiet. I was on the green side until the Radeon 5xxx series and stayed with team red through 5, 6, 7, and 200 series; so I'm no fan boy for either side. It's also nice not having to deal with CF/SLI issues. It IS kinda annoying to be constantly updating GPU drivers, though I'm sure this will be nice when new games come out that need the new drivers.

Mirros Edge Catalyst, Deus Ex - really almost everything going forward is DX12 unless it was too late in development to switch gears.

Ugh, I guess I was expecting too much too soon. Looks like HBM2 is not happening this year and that's that.

Yeah I've been with both teams depending on my needs - i remember when I had an nvidia 280GTX, there's a 970M chip in my laptop, and I had a few 7950 and 7970s... I have no loyalty to either brand, but sounds like nvidia will be getting my money next round. I'm sure I have a while to wait but a nvidia 1080ti would be something I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

I can easily go another year and wait for a Ti variant of their "1080" cards.

Back