AMD BE series to hit the stores?

wooj

Limp Gawd
I can see myself buying a few of those for rebuilds of my 24/7 computers! (Their still on Skt A) Have been looking at putting 65w Brisbanes in them, but this will save me quite a bit of $ over their lifetimes :D

If you're simply looking for a high performance system with lower power requirements, possibly just to keep your office/room cooler and quieter, then the Core 2 Duo E4300 is still a better bet than either of these new X2s. You will pay about $25 more, but the increase in performance is more than tangible (not to mention the fact that you can actually get close to top of the line performance if you decide to overclock the E4300).

However, if performance isn't a primary concern and you're not interested in overclocking (our BE-2350 wouldn't even break 2.4GHz), then these chips offer an interesting alternative to current 65W X2s.

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3003

BE for Boring Edition.

The lack of OCing and all may make them "Boring". But most people with computers don't need more than a 1.9/2.1GHz AMD. They go on the internet and such. Though dual core is almost overkill for most people, but that's another topic.

While this cpu won't likely make it's way into those computers it would be perfect there to lower power usage while giving them enough computing power.

I know I'll be saving a fair bit of $ every year using these in an Internet PC and a DVR / Media Server. Neither need much processing power and since they run 24/7 I'll take any reduction in electricity usage I can get. Combine these cpu's with an 80+ certified psu and the utility bills will go down nicely.

Sure I wouldn't use one for a gaming system or anything like that, but there are plenty of great uses and I find a 45w dual core cpu rather exciting and not very boring because of them.

Back