AMD baits nVidia again

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: I honestly don't care if nVidia or AMD are on top, fuck fanboys. But to gloss over the obvious and pretend there isn't a problem is just doing a disservice to the community.

Pretend? All I am doing is sharing my own experience. Apparently it is worth less to you than what 'people on reddit' have been saying, AND makes me a fanboi. Sometimes you're worse than snowdog and idiotincharge.

Anecdotal evidence. AMD directly asking people for information on an issue confirms that it is an issue. At CES Gamer's Nexus asked AMD folks about the Navi driver issues and AMD not only didn't deny or downplay them they said they were looking into it. So, can we just stop pretending that just because it works for some people that means its perfect for everyone? Sticking your head in the sand does no one any good. AMD needs to figure this shit out. They have great hardware on the market at pretty good prices, they can't afford to deal with talk of "bad drivers" looming over their heads again.
I'd rather have driver issues than space invaders. And when did sg work for everyone universally ever? Just because some people have issues doesn't mean drivers are shit.

Anecdotal evidence. AMD directly asking people for information on an issue confirms that it is an issue. At CES Gamer's Nexus asked AMD folks about the Navi driver issues and AMD not only didn't deny or downplay them they said they were looking into it. So, can we just stop pretending that just because it works for some people that means its perfect for everyone? Sticking your head in the sand does no one any good. AMD needs to figure this shit out. They have great hardware on the market at pretty good prices, they can't afford to deal with talk of "bad drivers" looming over their heads again.

No one cares about your opinions about the non topic, only that the 5600XT is now going to be faster and Nvidia appears to have egg on their face.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes: I honestly don't care if nVidia or AMD are on top, fuck fanboys. But to gloss over the obvious and pretend there isn't a problem is just doing a disservice to the community.

I got a Radeon VII a while back and what really tweaked me was my brand new 2600x/Radeon VII all AMD build had unplayable bugs with a bundled game - Devil May Cry 5. I read into it and it was common... I ended up with a 2080ti and retired the Radeon VII to the mines.

Last edited:
Pretend? All I am doing is sharing my own experience. Apparently it is worth less to you than what 'people on reddit' have been saying, AND makes me a fanboi. Sometimes you're worse than snowdog and idiotincharge.

You're either intentionally ignoring posts or...

AMD, the manufacturer of these cards says there are driver issues. Are they also Nvidia fanbois?

You're either intentionally ignoring posts or...

AMD, the manufacturer of these cards says there are driver issues. Are they also Nvidia fanbois?

Quote me accusing anyone at being a fanoi in this thread

They waited for Nvidia to cut 2060 prices before showing their hand on the 5600xt.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-rx-5600-xt-specs-nvidia-rtx-2060
Ok, I said baited, but it really felt that way to me to show it at a slower spec then after the competition responds with a price cut give it more power so Nvidia either keeps the price and isn't competitive or has to cut prices a second time. Well played.

So AMD "baited" the reviewers??

Reacting to competition is not baiting. It makes no difference to NVidia whether AMD had these specs initially or later, NVidia would have landed in the same place regardless.

The main effect was screwing over reviewers, who have to throw out their testing and redo it.

If AMD just went with these specs from the beginning, then we would still end up in exactly the same place, but reviewers wouldn't have to redo all their testing.

Reacting to competition is not baiting. It makes no difference to NVidia whether AMD had these specs initially or later, NVidia would have landed in the same place regardless.

The main effect was screwing over reviewers, who have to throw out their testing and redo it.

If AMD just went with these specs from the beginning, then we would still end up in exactly the same place, but reviewers wouldn't have to redo all their testing.

I like how we have gone from years of "AMD lied about specs again", to "LOL NVIDIA GOT BAITED".

So AMD lied about specs, Nvidia responded and it's an Lol to Nvidia? I would say lying to consumers to force a competitor is pretty dirty, for the users.. who cares about the companies.

This isn't baiting at all. This is a defensive response to Nvidia's offering and nothing more. It kind reeks of desperation, honestly, since they didn't even secretly seed reviewers with hot/post-fix units. It's like walking up to the biggest guy at the bar, punching yourself in the face, and going "haha! I got you good!"

It's also going to amount to little more than bupkis in terms of performance. A 3% boost in game clock? Yawn.

And let's not forget: Nvidia could just as easily push the same 3% clock boost to their own cards. What's AMD going to do in response to that? Sounds like they don't have much movement left on price.

I like how we have gone from years of "AMD lied about specs again", to "LOL NVIDIA GOT BAITED".

So AMD lied about specs, Nvidia responded and it's an Lol to Nvidia? I would say lying to consumers to force a competitor is pretty dirty, for the users.. who cares about the companies.
Yeah they pulled a GTX 970 alright. We should start a class action lawsuit on a product that has not been released yet.

while it's childish, nothing they've done has been a detriment to the consumer, in fact the opposite.. they reduced the price of the 5700XT and put it in a perfect position, especially after nvidia said they were going to discontinue the 2070 non super when the super released only to force nvidia to retract that statement a few weeks later.. good for potential nvidia customers, good for AMD customers.. they posted the specs on the 5600XT, nvidia reacted and reduced the price of the 2060 knowing it was as fast or faster than the 5600XT, so AMD changes the clock speeds, good for potential nvidia customers, good for AMD customers.. i don't really see anything wrong with what they did. if they posted specs and then reduced at launch then that would be a whole different story.

I'll be very interested to see where it ends up. If it even comes within a few percent of the 2060 it's going to be one heck of a card.

The boosted 5600xt has the same bandwidth and very similar flops to the 2060 so they should trade blows. Same setup as 5700xt vs 2070 super.

It's just a coping mechanism for people who are grasping for any reason to believe AMD has an advantage. The reality is Nvidia can counter any move from AMD at will.

End result is better prices for us and AMD still gains no ground. That won't change until they can challenge Nvidia on architecture and features.

Is this a 970 discussion?

Changing specs on cards UP... on cards NO ONE has bought yet. Is not a bad thing. Adjusting down... and doing it after a card has been sold would be bad.

Releasing a card that says its one thing when it is LESS then that thing is BAD. That is something Nvidia has done not that long ago. Adjusting things up before they even sell is hardly in the same league.

The boosted 5600xt has the same bandwidth and very similar flops to the 2060 so they should trade blows. Same setup as 5700xt vs 2070 super.

I don't believe you can directly compare flops across different archs and definitely not between different companies. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Be great if the 5600 could even trend above the 2060 on average. It would make that market sector very interesting to watch.

I have a 5700xt

I really like it.

To deny driver issues is fucking insane, though.

Also, I think I would pick the rtx over the 5600xt for $20 more. I'm going to guess they're going to be similarly fast.

This is not a driver thread and no one has said there are no issues. Driver stuff is not on topic but the 5600XT is but, just observe where the thread went off the rails and it will make sense.

This is not a driver thread and no one has said there are no issues. Driver stuff is not on topic but the 5600XT is but, just observe where the thread went off the rails and it will make sense.

While I agree with you that it wasn't the topic at hand, saying no one said there are no issues is hilarious. You haven't read the thread if you think that. It's been said here countless times and this thread is only 2 pages.

It's just a coping mechanism for people who are grasping for any reason to believe AMD has an advantage. The reality is Nvidia can counter any move from AMD at will.

End result is better prices for us and AMD still gains no ground. That won't change until they can challenge Nvidia on architecture and features.

LOL! Coping mechanism, as opposed to actual competition which is what this brings. And what lying, there was no lying at all from AMD.

The driver stuff is not really on topic... but I think we all need to get real. AMD, Nvidia, Intel they all have driver issues. None of them are perfect... and they all have lists of Known issues, or NVs case lists of Known product limitations. They all have issues with specific games black screening, or not changing resoltiions properly or having to disable freesync or gsync to make them work they all have admitted issues with specific montors. And of course that is just the stuff any of them have taken the time to replicate and admit too.

Yes Navi was a brand new Arch and had some spotlight shone on early issues... and sure some of them could even be considered pretty annoying such as issues with AMD bundled games. However lets all stop pretending NV is immune to the same issues with new drivers breaking things for both new and old cards. Its a universal issue as both companies do things they really shouldn't be to try and sqeeze performance out of every single game one at a time instead of simply making a driver that plays by standards. We brought it on ourselves as users by expecting our gaming hardware companies to pull software miricles out of their asses on a monthly basis.

Anyway 5600 vs 2060... ya NV probably has more stable drivers at this point, but that in general smooths out. When NV replaces the 2000s the drivers will likely as history has shown intorduce unintended issues for the 2000s as the optimize their drivers for their next gen. And AMD will improve their Navi drivers as well. So in the end on launch day... driver win is probably green team. Over time it will be more and more a wash. And any user could run into a specific issue with either depending on what game list they play that may or may not be effected for the good or bad.

Actual benchmarks of the shipping versions of the 5600 should be interesting. I wish AMD had priced it better frankly. Yes it looks like it may well beat 2060 in a lot of things. But with a very small price difference... there is no denying 2060 super has a few more features (no matter what our personal takes are on ray tracing at the moment) and is a more mature product. (which it seems isn't always a bad thing in video cards).

I don't believe you can directly compare flops across different archs and definitely not between different companies. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Be great if the 5600 could even trend above the 2060 on average. It would make that market sector very interesting to watch.

That's true but this is the closest the architectures have been in a long time. You can also look at the 5700xt vs 2070 super as I mentioned.

You misunderstand. AMD is competing. AMDs fans are coping.

No, I am an AMD fan and...... Only NV fans would claim....... Yeah, that. Yes, they where baited because we already know Nvidia does not cut prices by voluntary choice.

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO TROLLING. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm, this includes personal attacks in signatures. NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION OUTSIDE OF THE SOAPBOX SUBFORUM. http://hardforum.com/account/upgrades

(2) No OFF-TOPIC posting will be allowed with the exception of the General Mayhem sub-forum area. There are multiple sub-forums as well that are subscription-access only. You can buy a subscription at this link. http://hardforum.com/account/upgrades

If I did not already own what I have for graphics cards, I would buy the 5600XT. I am pleased to see AMD making good and tactical choice, unlike under Rajas reign.

I got a Radeon VII a while back and what really tweaked me was my brand new 2600x/Radeon VII all AMD build had unplayable bugs with a bundled game - Devil May Cry 5. I read into it and it was common... I ended up with a 2080ti and retired the Radeon VII to the mines.

I would take a driver bug over the card dying like your 2080Ti did and having to wait a month to get a replacement.

Now on topic, I am surprised they decided to increase the performance even more, really shows they dont want to lower prices more. At least people will get a bit more bang for the buck.

While I agree with you that it wasn't the topic at hand, saying no one said there are no issues is hilarious. You haven't read the thread if you think that. It's been said here countless times and this thread is only 2 pages.

I guess none of you have read the nvidia forums before. Of course they have 100% flawless drivers!!11!!

In the end of the day, what AMD has done worked because you're all talking about them, hence the attempt to swing this to a minority issue about drivers which keeps the thread off topic. Free performance and shaking up the stack is bad, because some people had issues with drivers, okay.

I guess none of you have read the nvidia forums before. Of course they have 100% flawless drivers!!11!!

In the end of the day, what AMD has done worked because you're all talking about them, hence the attempt to swing this to a minority issue about drivers which keeps the thread off topic. Free performance and shaking up the stack is bad, because some people had issues with drivers, okay.
I have had black screens with this 2080Ti in my personal box for a while now. It seems the 441.66 finally fixed that. Always in 2D, never in games.

I would take a driver bug over the card dying like your 2080Ti did and having to wait a month to get a replacement.

Now on topic, I am surprised they decided to increase the performance even more, really shows they dont want to lower prices more. At least people will get a bit more bang for the buck.

You have a really good point lol.

Ok so clearly this is a pervasive issue since GN even made a video about AMDs driver issues with Navi so let's not pretend this won't be an issue with the 5600 XT:

And I know there's those in denial who hate Reddit but here's a random thread I just saw while reading over Reddit, check out the replies here: https://www.reddit. com/r/buildapc/comments/eqr2k9/any_rx_5700_xt_owners_tell_me_about_you/ (reddit linking is broken on this forum so just fix the spacing in reddit dot com)

Space invaders may have been bad for Turing but that was a Micron issue more than anything else.

Quotes please. I can count all the way up to 5, so there would be no need to quote all those countless posts spanning less than 2 entire pages.

Guess we'll never know, you can speculate that Nvidia wuld have stuck to $299, but if it was shown as fast or faster they may have tried to come down to $279 instead. Nobody knows if Nvidia would have ended at the same place as you say. I am not upset when performance goes up. They found it safe to bump up performance and did so right after Nvidia announced their price cuts.

Ok so clearly this is a pervasive issue since GN even made a video about AMDs driver issues with Navi so let's not pretend this won't be an issue with the 5600 XT:

And I know there's those in denial who hate Reddit but here's a random thread I just saw while reading over Reddit, check out the replies here: https://www.reddit. com/r/buildapc/comments/eqr2k9/any_rx_5700_xt_owners_tell_me_about_you/ (reddit linking is broken on this forum so just fix the spacing in reddit dot com)

Space invaders may have been bad for Turing but that was a Micron issue more than anything else.

No one cares about your off topic subject matter, The 5600XT baited Nvidia to lower their prices on their 2060 and then increased the performance of the 5600XT, all before it was even released.

Start a new tech news thread about it and stop spamming this thread if you would please, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back