• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ overheating UPDATE

axess68

n00b
Joined
Sep 12, 2005
Messages
55
Well, if you read my other thread, you know the story. If not, here's a short recap.

System: ASUS A7N8X mobo, 1 gig DDR400 RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600gt.

I just got brave enough to overclock my CPU last week after doing tons of research. My temps were 61c idle and 73c load. That was with the stock AMD heatsink/fan. That was wayyy too high, needless to say. So, I tried different thermal pastes and that didn't make much of a difference. So, I ordered a fully COPPER heatsink/fan.

The update:

The Heatsink/Fan arrived today. It's the Dynatron BH-610 60mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink. And WHAT a difference it made!!

First off, the HS/F didn't come with that little thermal square on the bottom, which was a good thing. I ordered Arctic Silver thermal paste with it and applied it exactly how it says on the websites everywhere on the net and from the Arctic Silver website itself. The HS/F is a pain in the butt to get on because the nub you use for the clamp is so tiny and doesn't fit anything but the smallest, thinnest screwdriver! I even tore a nice groove out of my thumb for my efforts while wrestling with it!! :mad:

But the end result was worth it! My running temps are 45-47c idle and 51-52c load. Not the BEST but good enough for me! I have the CPU overclocked at 2210mhz. So, it's running at 3200+ speed and I'm happy with that!!!

One question, though. Should I do anything with my 6600gt as far as overclocking? I read that you can't open any more pipes on it than the ones it already has. (8, I believe).
 
axess68 said:
Well, if you read my other thread, you know the story. If not, here's a short recap.

System: ASUS A7N8X mobo, 1 gig DDR400 RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600gt.

I just got brave enough to overclock my CPU last week after doing tons of research. My temps were 61c idle and 73c load. That was with the stock AMD heatsink/fan. That was wayyy too high, needless to say. So, I tried different thermal pastes and that didn't make much of a difference. So, I ordered a fully COPPER heatsink/fan.

The update:

The Heatsink/Fan arrived today. It's the Dynatron BH-610 60mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink. And WHAT a difference it made!!

First off, the HS/F didn't come with that little thermal square on the bottom, which was a good thing. I ordered Arctic Silver thermal paste with it and applied it exactly how it says on the websites everywhere on the net and from the Arctic Silver website itself. The HS/F is a pain in the butt to get on because the nub you use for the clamp is so tiny and doesn't fit anything but the smallest, thinnest screwdriver! I even tore a nice groove out of my thumb for my efforts while wrestling with it!! :mad:

But the end result was worth it! My running temps are 45-47c idle and 51-52c load. Not the BEST but good enough for me! I have the CPU overclocked at 2210mhz. So, it's running at 3200+ speed and I'm happy with that!!!

One question, though. Should I do anything with my 6600gt as far as overclocking? I read that you can't open any more pipes on it than the ones it already has. (8, I believe).

You can't open any more pipes...though I hear 6600GT's oc pretty well.

OTOH, after all your research I'm surprised that you do NOT have a Thermalright heatsink. My research led me almost immediately to my SLK800A (now replaced by the SI-97A).
 
Well, I am satisfied with the new HS/F for now.

If it has issues, I will keep the one you mentioned in mind.

I am currently using coolbits to OC the 6600gt. I am running tests on it.
 
Back
Top