AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ overheating

imarex

n00b
Hello.

I've been having problems with this CPU for ~2 years now.
It happens like this.

I bought a new PC. It was pretty good at that time. I was playing Crysis one day and the PC immediately shut down.
Turns out the CPU seems to be overheating. I use Core Temp to see the temperature. (I've tried many other programs, but they're the same.)

When I play games or do rendering and whatnot, the temperatures start to rise. When at ~100°C, the PC would turn off.

I've reapplied the thermal paste multiple times. 90% of the time it just overheats. Altough there are some times when for periods of time i.e. ~2weeks - few months it just works.

My PC case - COMPUCASE MIDI BLACK ATX, but I've opened one side.

I have the stock CPU cooler. I guess that should be ok for normal everyday operations and games.

The voltage seems to be normal - 1.3000V and I haven't tried over-clocking or anything.

Any help? Could this be a faulty temp sensor or what?

Time to buy aftermarket CPU coolers...there are some $30s that cool much much better than stock coolers. Although I also want to point out the stock cooler should be okay for normal use. Reaching 100 degrees is extreme, probably a bad IHS to begin with.

I've cleaned dust many times. Even yesterday. That shouldn't be a problem.

OK. A new cooler. I should have probably bought that earlier.
But why would the stock one overheat. Shouldn't it be meant to cool the CPU even while playing games?

That case probably has about as good of air flow as your grandmas kitchen oven. :p

I've seen older laptops that can get up to 100-105 in Core Temp and guess what? Yup they reboot like yours does.

Pick up a case with better airflow and/or heatsink with heatpipes and a larger than stock fan. If you want to avoid crashes like your experiencing.

Cheap AM2 HS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Affordable Case with good airflow http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112238

If you have the extra money, an even higher end case or quieter heatsink could well be worth it.

You might want to look for a BIOS update. I saw an AMD motherboard once where there was a BIOS update to correct the temp reading, which was too high. After the update the cpu temp was reading almost 10 degrees lower. The cpu really wasn't running any cooler, the temp sensor calibration was just off with the first BIOS so they issued an update.
Can you add an intake fan to the case? Extra airflow would help.
What video card to you have? Does it dump heat in the case or does it push the air out the back?
A new heatsink would probably be a good idea, as others have suggested.
There are 2 different Phenom II stock heatsinks from AMD that have heatpipes and copper bottom plates. Those sometimes are cheap on ebay or here on the For Sale forum. Here is one example of what I mean: http://www.ixbt.com/cpu/images/phenom-2-cnq/cooler-125w.jpg
That should help your cpu run much cooler but not cost much since a lot of people don't use them anyway, they upgrade instead.

Yes. It's working as it should. Gets faster when the CPU gets hotter.
I guess I could try updating BIOS, but only after buying new heatsink/cooler.

try updating the bios now, it will not hurt....and it is free

Good question. I don't understand that comment either.
The good news really is that when you check the CPU support, there are 2 5400+ cpu versions listed, and worst case you need bios F2. (one says F1 and one is F2)
So, maybe try F3 unless you have that one already.

also, be careful with motherboard revisions. Your link goes to (rev. 2.x)
make sure you don't have a different Revision. Another revision may take a different bios.

OK, I think I get that warning now:

"Note: Please use the previous BIOS version for the item 2 features support."

Item 2 is: Remove NV PXE ROM

So F4 is stable and OK, but they are just warning people that if you need that feature you should go back to F3.

Just some Engrish there that took some time to process. So I bet you can use F4 just fine. It is missing something that must have caused some people trouble in F3.

I have the F2 version so I might try the F4.
I looked at the box that came with the PC and this is the only product that matches. I don't even know how to know what rev this is. But I guess I'll try it then

Look on the board itself. It will say somewhere, but the box should list it too.

There is "Rev. 2001" one the manual, so it should be the same one?

Oh. It's written one the MB. I'm gonna turn the pc off and check.

I've used beta Gigabyte bios' before and never had any problems. Use the @Bios utility while in Windows. It's extremely easy to use to update the bios with it. It will be on your original drivers CD or get it here: http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/121/tech_a_bios.htm It will also download the correct bios for YOUR motherboard.

It sure is REV 2.0
Oh, I have the @BIOS installed, I just wasn't sure if it's any good because I read some bad things about it somewhere.

It sure is REV 2.0
Oh, I have the @BIOS installed, I just wasn't sure if it's any good because I read some bad things about it somewhere.

dont use it, any number of things can go wrong with that, just boot into the bios and do it manually

Ok. I'm not using it then. But... When I download it from the Gigabyte site (the F4), should I just open it (the .exe file)? Well then I extract it and then there are three files -

autoexec.bat
FLASHSPI.exe
M61PMES2.F4

should i just open autoexec.bat?

Who's the idiot who told you to update your bios because your cpu is overheating? Wasn't it working before but it's overheating now? Your bios isn't the problem. It's only the problem if you set your sensor in the Bios.

Just get a new heatsink instead of the stock and see what happen and try resetting your BIOS.

Don't buy the heatsink yet. Try other things like checking your Video card driver, setting, temp ect..Try other temp monitor...by the way what is the full spec of your computer??

Last edited:
Well, I'll buy a new heatsink tomorrow. If that won't work then I'll seek for more help.

Well, I'll buy a new heatsink tomorrow. If that won't work then I'll seek for more help.

Is your video card or CPU overclocked? Make sure it's isn't. Like I said try resetting your BIOS.

Another thing is that you are sure you know how to apply and reseat your heatsink properly? Like cleaning it with alcohol and reapplying with new paste? What heatsink thermal paste are you using and is your stock heatsink fan running at full speed like it should?

Last edited:
My GPU/CPU is not overclocked.

I know how to clean/apply/reapply thermal paste.
And yes, al though the fan runs at full speed it still overheats.
Oh and I'm using "Titan Nano Grease". I guess it's not the worst one. (I looked for reviews on the Internet and it seems to be quite good)

I'll try resetting the BIOS first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
Who's the idiot who told you to update your bios because your cpu is overheating? Wasn't it working before but it's overheating now? Your bios isn't the problem. It's only the problem if you set your sensor in the Bios.

Just get a new heatsink instead of the stock and see what happen and try resetting your BIOS.

Don't buy the heatsink yet. Try other things like checking your Video card driver, setting, temp ect..Try other temp monitor...by the way what is the full spec of your computer??
I am the so-called idiot. Go back and read my post again as for why. Obviously you didn't read it so I will summarize so maybe you can understand.
I have an AM2 motherboard. The cpu was reading hot, but after a BIOS update it was reading almost 10 C cooler. I did not change the heatsink or anything else. The BIOS update specifically said it was to address the calibration of the temp sensor, which was wrong. If the temp sensor is calibrated wrong, it could read high and say the cpu is overheating when it isn't. That could make the system shut down. Get my train of thought yet? This may or may not be the OPs issue, but worth a shot.
Updating the BIOS is typically a good thing. You told him to check the video card driver? What will that do? Now that is worthless.
Also, if the BIOS is reading the temp wrong, how will another temp monitoring program help? It will just read the same, but wrong reading. Another worthless suggestion.
His system has run hot for a long time, even after removal of the heatsink and applying new thermal paste. It has been acting this way for a long time. It's a good idea to try a new BIOS.

I wonder how much thermal paste was used... Keep in mind the only purpose of thermal paste is to fill in the microscopic grooves/scratches on the mating surfaces. Basically, you will want the size of a BB or grain of rice on the IHS (integrated heat spreader) of the CPU. If you applied a thick coating, it could actually inhibit the heatsink's ability to cool properly and cause it to overheat.

I have to question the thermal paste application due to this issue not always existing. If it were a BIOS issue, the BIOS would have always read the temperature wrong and shut down the PC from the beginning.

I'm banking on a borked temp sensor in the CPU, or incorrect paste application. Otherwise all the other variables would've shown themselves when the PC was first bought.

Lastly, just to note: I'm pretty sure your X2 5400 is a Brisbane core, which was well known to have screwy temp sensors anyways. Some reports have shown around 10-11 degrees off... Just an FYI

Last edited:
It sure is REV 2.0

Me and several friends that all own Gigabyte motherboards have all used the @Bios utility numerous times all without any problems what-so-ever. Just like you should do anytime that you update your bios, just make sure your system is stable before using it and don't do it during a storm or something like that where the power might go out and you'll be fine using it.

Whose the idiot who didnt read the fuckin thread? The OP has had the Overheating issue since day 1, there are several times when the Bios has borked temp readings, and then therefore has resulted in it saying its overheating....

now wouldnt it also be easier to try a new BIOS rather than spend some $$??? You can change the BIOS now, but the heat sink needs to wait until later...

@OP - How much paste are you using? what type? how old is it? How are you spreading it ?

My GPU/CPU is not overclocked.

I know how to clean/apply/reapply thermal paste.
And yes, al though the fan runs at full speed it still overheats.
Oh and I'm using "Titan Nano Grease". I guess it's not the worst one. (I looked for reviews on the Internet and it seems to be quite good)

I'll try resetting the BIOS first thing in the morning.

Best thing to do is to reset the BIOS and see what happen. Don't buy the heatsink yet. If that doesn't work then you might have to risk flashing the BIOS.

I tried resetting the BIOS. Nothing changed. It's still overheating. I'll go and buy a new heatsink later.

So. I bought a new heatsink.
It's not anything too awesome, buy all I could get in my town. (Xilence AM3 PWM)
The temperatures aren't rising anymore. They are holding at 60° max. It's still a rather high temperature, but with my crappy case it's probably fine.

I'll still do some tests and if anything I'll ask for more help. For now, thank you everyone. :)

I've had something similar happen to me. I had tried 3 different coolers (stock, Scythe mini ninja, and Xigmatech 1283) and still got high temps. It turned out that the heat spreader was no longer making contact with the cores underneath. A new cpu fixed the problem.

I tried resetting the BIOS. Nothing changed. It's still overheating. I'll go and buy a new heatsink later.
You reset the BIOS or you updated it?
Resetting it won't help.
I just thought of something a bit new from what I said before.
The original F1 BIOS supported old cores, like the Windsor. F2 was to support the new Brisbane core.
You may have the original F1 BIOS, but a newer Brisbane core cpu that needs at least the F2 BIOS.
If this is the case, then of course it won't run properly. The BIOS doesn't know how to read the temp of that unknown cpu properly and will give false readings. It will not run stable either. I'm suprised it would run at all to be honest.
I thought the 100 C temps sounded really strange. Those old AMD cores should either blow up or shut down at a lower temp than that. That high of a number just isn't going to happen in my opinion, and no matter what you try it still reads high.
The only thing you haven't changed or tried is a bios update. It's the only thing that makes sense as the problem at this point.

Brisbane temp sensors were defective from the beginning... I had one and had to adjust Speedfan to read 7 degrees lower...

I have the F2 BIOS version. As long as it doesn't overheat any more, I wont update it.

wow. It started overheating again.
Awesome, AMD... :mad:

I guess I'll try updating my BIOS. It hast the Q-Flash thing, so it can recover even after failing the update.

Updating BIOS didn't help. Also when it reached 70C I tried touching the heatsink and it was actually it felt just a little warm to touch. Like touching human skin, so about 30+C.

What more could I actually do?

I just really think it's time to upgrade. Probably a bad CPU now. The consistent headache of overheating is just not worth it. A CPU should not never do that on normal use even using the stock cooler. Just upgrade and get rid of the headache for your own good.

Back