AMD Announces Ryzen Mobile Processors with Radeon Vega Graphics

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
AMD is launching two Ryzen laptop CPUs that it claims are the “world’s fastest” processors for Ultrabooks: the Ryzen 7 2700U, featuring four cores with symmetrical multi-threading and 10 compute units based on the Vega graphics architecture, offers a base clock speed of 2.2GHz and boost speed of 3.8GHz. The Ryzen 5 2500U also has four cores with SMT and can hit 2GHz with a boost clock of 3.6GHz.

The AMD Ryzen mobile processor combines the award-winning technology powering AMD Ryzen CPUs with the revolutionary graphics of the Radeon “Vega” architecture to deliver exceptional mobile performance for every task. AMD SenseMI processor intelligence technologies enable AMD Ryzen™ mobile processors to adapt to your needs, delivering the performance you want with astonishing efficiency enabling amazing battery life.

Can't wait to see actual testing of the "astonishing efficiency". AMD is not known for efficient, low heat processors. :cautious:
I'll take 8 cores and a decent GPU over the POS i5 in my Surface Pro 5, intel mobile chips are complete garbage but unfortunately the only option

If I was typing this reply on one of these Ultrabooks, I'd probably have a dead battery right now

Can't wait to see actual testing of the "astonishing efficiency". AMD is not known for efficient, low heat processors. :cautious:
Ryzen uses less power than Intel's current chips. The FX chips did use more power but that is one of many chips AMD has produced. Remember the Pentium 4 wasn't known for its efficient low heat processing. It wasn't until the CoreDuo chips when Intel got better at it, and eventually surpassed AMD in both performance and efficiency. Same goes for Nvidia where until the GTX 900 series Nvidia was known for its power consumption. It's only relatively recently that Nvidia chips have become power efficient.

The Ryzen has done better for power consumption and heat generation than the Intel chips of the same number of cores. The 1800x has a TDP of 95W while the Intel 7820X has a TDP of 140W, and yet performance is quite close between the two. Switching to the 1700X vs the 7700X, to aim for the same price range, they are very close in TDP and measured power consumption with the 1700X having double the number of cores.

Write up on this from Guru3d

and some models are already announced :

012582_hp.jpg

012581_lenovo.jpg

012580_acer.jpg

Images from http://hardware.info
enjoy :)

Ryzen was made for mobile, lets see some benchmarks!

The Ryzen has done better for power consumption and heat generation than the Intel chips of the same number of cores. The 1800x has a TDP of 95W while the Intel 7820X has a TDP of 140W, and yet performance is quite close between the two. Switching to the 1700X vs the 7700X, to aim for the same price range, they are very close in TDP and measured power consumption with the 1700X having double the number of cores.

This is the elephant in the room, when clocked lower they are even more efficient. AMD still has process refinement room to play with going forward. Intel and AMD use different processes with different strengths for their desktop chips.

4/8 with 10 Compute Cores should outdo any standard Intel U series or HQ series mobile chips, especially when it comes to graphics in terms of performance.

But Vega branding on the chip seems odd as there is no HBM memory. I haven't seen how the units are arranged, but I'm guessing it's more a Polaris rehash for mobile.

I actually would like to see Vega at a lower clock rate. My 56 runs pretty well at low clock rates. Not sure how the lack of HBM memory will do.

4/8 with 10 Compute Cores should outdo any standard Intel U series or HQ series mobile chips, especially when it comes to graphics in terms of performance.

But Vega branding on the chip seems odd as there is no HBM memory. I haven't seen how the units are arranged, but I'm guessing it's more a Polaris rehash for mobile.

Is the only difference between Vega and Polaris HBM? I thought there was more to it.

that's it? where are the regular wattage high performance chips ?

that's it? where are the regular wattage high performance chips ?
Few people are interested in the high wattage chips. Tablets and laptops are the mainstream now. We might be interested in it, but most other people aren't, so AMD is pushing these out the door first, to make an entry into the mainstream market.

I'd like to see pricing and availability for these laptops versus equivalent intel or intel + nvidia combo's.

Finally AMD... all these years later... waiting for an APU with a competent CPU and good GPU...

These chips need to be put in the highest end models from all the major oems. If they are not, it suggests to me tampering by either intel putting pressure, or retailers not wanting people spending less money on high end notebooks for same premium chassis.

I want a 14" model with a 1080p IPS screen and an SSD that doesn't cost 1K+ because of "reasons".

I'm currently running an XPS13 ultrabook with the 7500U, a dual-core Intel, and I do really like it- and it's fast enough to run low-impact games like League of Legends at 1080p with minimum settings at over 60FPS (which I limit it to), but probably not good for much beyond that.

I'm thinking that for basic mobile gaming, these AMD APU's might be quite potent, and obviously they'll be 'good enough' for most other uses, giving Intel a better run for their money here so long as they can keep the performance/power drain relationship in check while unplugged!

I have an old 3rd gen i5 laptop that needs replaced and the Lenovo with the 2700 amd looks great

Depending on price, the Acer may be my next laptop...because it has a formal 10key.

Although, the Vega used is probably sharing system RAM, so I will probably avoid them altogether. We'll see.

I can't wait to see every one of these chips put into fat plastic laptops running a single dimm of 2133 with 768p TN screens running off a 5400RPM Seagate HDD.

Back