amd and ddr2

kinson

Gawd
does anyone have any news on this... I've searched but cant find anything, that and i"m lazy and all you guys are usually good with links and stuff :)

so if any of you have any I'd love to see some or hear whats going on... about what i'm gonna need to do to use ddr2 besides getting a new mobo ^^

DDR2 is coming to the AMD camp when socket AM2 is released. That means that your current rig's processor, ram, and motherboard will have to change.

June 6th the AM2 motherboards and CPU's should be out. AM2 will work with DDR2-667 or DDR2-800. As for performance numbers, and what either of the two speeds will look like we will have to wait for more reviews in the coming months.

If your upgrading you need a new cpu, mobo and ram all at once.

kinson said:
ARG!!! So no one knows the expected performance increace ?
i'd be surprised if it's more than 5-10% faster with a good set of ram...

that's all it is btw, ram change. cpu isn't gonna change at all from what i can tell ;)

if youre going to change your mobo, ram and cpu, might as well go with conroe ;)

noobtech said:
HOLY COW!!! Conroe makes me look at Intel like I used to. :D I like AMD still...
youve missed the 500000 threads of flame war because of this

jcll2002 said:
youve missed the 500000 threads of flame war because of this

Ha, I usually don't look at anything Intel Related, since i've made my switch to AMD's delicious processors. Also, just been into that Lian Li cases and eVGA cards. LoL

Any Price idea's thrown around yet on those conroes cause... they're looking extremely worthy...

kinson said:
Any Price idea's thrown around yet on those conroes cause... they're looking extremely worthy...

Well judging how the perform well over the FX-60's I wouldn't be surprised if they were ~ same price if not more...

Intel has had 2 years to work on Conroe. We'll have to see what AMD can do in two years :D

Back on topic...I don't think DDR2 is going to provide anymore than a 5% increase myself.

kinson said:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29504
Yea, it's the Inq, but those prices (give or take a dollar or two) were reported from several sources from IDF. The Conroe XE doesn't have a price (that I know of) yet, but it's likely in the $1000 range.

freeloader1969 said:
Back on topic...I don't think DDR2 is going to provide anymore than a 5% increase myself.
That would still take Intel's lead over AMD down from ~20% to ~15% (never thought I would say those words in that order :eek: ). There's also the die-shrink, that should yeild some higher clocks and close the gap further.

I get the feeling that AMD is still going to be a big winner in the power usage and heat output arena. Intel isnt exactly known for keeping your room cool afterall :p

Let's bring back the old cartridge type cpus like the Pentium 2 and early pentium 3's!!

So they're not planning on releasing some hardcore CPU's to go with these am3 chips ?

They will have to launch some am2 cpus obviously, just don't expect anything earth shattering.. I expect an AM2 cpu comparable to an fx60 or a bit faster, and cpus compareable to most of the x2 line as well.. Just what I believe, I offer no evidence..

:rolleyes: read the freaking front [H] page. There's a link to a huge benchmark article on AM2s. They were pretty much equal to the s939's, just with less power draw and stuff.

Back