AMD and ATI merger rumors starting to look true

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always felt intel had an advantage with their chipset capability...

intel CPU, intel chipset... it makes an extremely stable machine.

now we may have AMD cpu and AMD(ati) chipset... for a fucking stable box finally. (I hope)

Yashu said:

now we may have AMD cpu and AMD(ati) chipset... for a fucking stable box finally. (I hope)

Intel has always had really nice chipsets. They are always stable and offer great support. But Intel is a dick to it's partners. They feed first, then they let their partners in on the action.

hehe I have heard some stories about the "back in the day" with intel.

They were dicks then too.

Yashu said:

AMD had stable boxes when nVidia made some chipsets called nForce3 250GB and nForce4

robberbaron said:
AMD had stable boxes when nVidia made some chipsets called nForce3 250GB and nForce4

I have alway encounter more problems on nForce4 boards that with any of my Intel(chipset)boards?
Infact the first thing I ask people of if eg. they have problem with a X-FI is if they are n a nForce 4 mobo.
Or ethernet problems giving BOSD's (nvtcp.sys)
Or large file data corruption, when copying large files (2 GB and above)
Or a slow boot up problem with the nForce4 IDE drivers.

Terra...

LittleMe said:
I wonder if the SEC would even approve it, with AMD sueing Intel and all right now.

AMD + ATI and Intel + NVIDIA still leaves two players on the market, and would actually increase competition. There would be no more middle guys to cross the two platforms, meaning each company would not only need to make a good CPU but a good GPU and chipset as well, since we wouldn't be able to mix and match anymore.

But I don't see Intel + NVIDIA happening anytime soon.

I don't really mind, but I don't care for Intel or ATI... in the long run it just seems like Nvidia is getting the shaft when they've done sooooo much for the computing industry.

I think AMD/ATI will continue to operate under thier own names if a merge does happen, but I also think they will combine resources to up production of thier CPU's & GPU's as well as start to develop the next big leap in PC technology.

Hopefully they won't FUBAR both names. Though i'm not a fan of ATI I never said they were bad, in fact it's competion between green & red that keeps the prices down. :)

I'm an Nvidia fan at heart but this is a great oppurtunity for AMD to really compete with intel. Nforce AMD boards are already amazing (regardless of what Terra claims, I don't know anyone with problems like that) but imagine, as stated by others, an AMD chipset. They might be able to get into the real mainstream market this way (here we come Dell!). All in all, it will be very exciting too see what happens.

I love it , this means more competition in the game , which means more price wars. ;)

There is no I in TEAM, but there is an I in Intel... Seriously though, do you guys think that though AMD will be the owner of ATI and they will have it develop chipsets to go with their cpus, do you think that they will still let the company spend serious dough on r&d and still let them do their own thing when it comes to the enthusiast (ehem.. us) market? I sure hope so, wouldn't want to see nvidia without competition, it's a really scary and disturbing thought...

I'm not sure how AMD owes Nvidia anything they both benefited mutually from the Nforce. Nvidia would not be in the chipset business if AMD didnt exist. The Nforce did let them grab some of the enthusiast market but that is less than 1% of their market in the big picture. I'm sure they will feel somewhat remorseful shutting Nvidia out but to compete with Intel, especially with platformization, you gotta play hardball. If Nvidia's price was even remotely close to ATI's Im sure they woulda chose them to acquire instead.

lloose said:
Kneels down to pray and says "kneel with me brethren"..

God.
We are greatful for this day.
We are greatful for the chance we have to assemble as a [H]ord.
You are graceful oh lord of lords
Please make the inq rumor threads stop.
We understand that the inq is in no way a guide for technology
We also understand that we some of thine sheep have been blinded and do not
realize that this is the same publisment that is a tabloid magazine.
Please help the stray understand that the tech articles from the inquirer are
written by some redheaded stoner fanb oy.
Please God, with your almighty power
Make the idiots stop posting this shit.
Amen.

thank you breathren.
The Inquirer is more often right than wrong. The only one showing their ass is you. BTW, how do you like your plate of crow? Over easy or well done? :rolleyes:

The one thing I find exciting about the merger is AMD has thier own FABs, and ATI has some cool tech for creating new silicon, so on the one hand CPUs will get more advanced (which they need to do) and video cards will run cooler (ATI's leaf blower will be long gone I hope)

I seriously doubt that ATI will stop developing chipsets for intel unless intel blocks them out, but I'm sure that there will be an agreement in place for technology sharing between the two, just like AMD and intel have (although that was somewhat forced), and since AMD is in business to make money, I don't think they would stop ATI from making chipsets for intel just because they are rivals, I also doubt that AMD would not allow NVidia to make chipsets for thier platforms, and again, NVidia is in business to make money, so I don't think they will stop making them either...

HOCP4ME said:
AMD + ATI and Intel + NVIDIA still leaves two players on the market, and would actually increase competition. There would be no more middle guys to cross the two platforms, meaning each company would not only need to make a good CPU but a good GPU and chipset as well, since we wouldn't be able to mix and match anymore.

But I don't see Intel + NVIDIA happening anytime soon.

Laugh out loud? There are many more than two players in the graphics market, and Intel is already the largest player by FAR in terms of market-share (you did realize they have been marketing their own integrated-graphics chipsets since the dawn of man, right?). Why would it have any interest whatsoever in aligning with NVIDIA?

AMD needs ATI to compete with Intel. Intel most obviously does not need NVIDIA to compete with AMD (they have Real3D, aquired two decades ago). Get it straight, bub.

I take it back, I know what to say about this:

someone wasn't thinking it all the way through. Bye bye ATi.

Sharky974 said:
I dont like it because the next logical move is Nvidia hooking up with Intel.

And that combo will crush the AMD-ATI one.

I dont like it for that simple reason.

I agree, Core2 + Full support for Quad-SLI = Nucken Futs!

Edit: I just remembered... what about that whole 4x4 thing with AMD and nVidia :confused:

-Proxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back