• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD AM2 @ [H] Enthusiast

Well....if it is a flaming chunk of dog poo, I am sure one of you will let me know. I will say this, I put a LOT more time into to testing the equipment than I did putting the actual words about it together this time round. Dunno if that is bad for good, but that is the way it is. :D
 
The_NME said:
Nice voltage on that FX-62

Yeah, aint that something else?!?!?!? I am more excited to see what you guys are going to do with these energy efficient CPUs than anything else. Good DDR2 will scale very high. I think this year is going to be a good overclocking year.
 
hey, as long as it's fun to overclock, it's good in my book ;)

now hop to it, i wanna see how that fx-62 scales :D
 
Very snappy of you to post this right after midnight once nda lifted. Thanks for the fast work. :)
 
kinda glad its not MUCH faster than socket 939 coz it doesnt give me the urge to upgrade :D
 
MrSlacker said:
kinda glad its not MUCH faster than socket 939 coz it doesnt give me the urge to upgrade :D

No reason to upgrade, but no real reason not to go AM2 if you are doing a new build....unless of course you have a pile of DDR you will want to use.
 
Didnt get a single core to review? was wondering about the performance of the 3500/3800+ CPU's aswell...
 
Dillusion said:
Didnt get a single core to review? was wondering about the performance of the 3500/3800+ CPU's aswell...

Nope, have not been able to land any samples yet....
 
Hmm, for those of us with high end 939 socket systems, this is good news. I honestly did not really want to upgrade to the new AM2 platform unless I saw some serious gains and I aint seeing them. I'll keep my setup for another year before moving on. Need to get rid of my IDE HDD's first anyway and build my HTPC.

I am glad I ditched AGP last year so I can move my video card over when the time comes.
 
Coldtronius said:
Hmm, for those of us with high end 939 socket systems, this is good news. I honestly did not really want to upgrade to the new AM2 platform unless I saw some serious gains and I aint seeing them. I'll keep my setup for another year before moving on. Need to get rid of my IDE HDD's first anyway and build my HTPC.

On the other hand, if I was building brand new this year, AM2 is the way to go

There are some things we cannot talk about on both the green and blue sides of the fence. Suffice it to say, that if you have a "solid" gaming rig right now and are satisfied with it, now is the time to wait and see the next couple of things to roll out from green and blue teams.
 
Those Prices dont look very competitive - a Sempron +3800 for that price, or an Intel Dual Core 805 for $30+ less.........



I hope AMD has another trick uptheir sleeve before year end!
 
I bet they will.

Good review (preview?), Kyle. As I already have a decent rig, I don't have any need to upgrade to AM2.
 
qdemn7 said:
IMO, the only real negative to AM2 is the new heatsink bolt holdown pattern. I wonder how long those of us with W/C rigs will have to wait for the AM2 adapters for their favorite block? Any idea on that Kyle?

I have not had any brought to my attention yet. :(
 
qdemn7 said:
WTF???? You turn off your box, and the forums go down? :eek:

Well, that sorta answers the age old quesion "What happens when God sleeps?". ;)
 
wow.... am2... and to think i just upgraded from my old socket a sempron 2 months ago. wow... hehe yah, i knew am2 was comin, but due to choke issues on CSS, like hearing cackling pre pubescent noobs taunting me after they gun me down when my computer chokes, i just had to do it. an amd opteron 165 with 2gb of ocz plat ddr500 aint too bad right? i'm kinda hopin that amd doesnt rip something out from their butt and blow everyone away because i just blew almost a grand, but then again i do hope for it so that i can get 20 more fps out of my game; plus it would be great to see conroe fanatics bite their tongue. then again, i'm one of those conroe mofo sometimes too. yeesh. what would happen if nvidia or ati started making cpu's? red vs green to new levels. it's too late i should sleep, speakin out of my bunghole me thinks.
 
I love how my opteron 165 (which cost 270) does super-pi faster than the fx-62. Guess I don't need to upgrade just yet :D
 
MrGuvernment said:
I hope AMD has another trick uptheir sleeve before year end!

Many people say that they will come up with something this year, but what.s it gonna be? Just higher clock speeds, 3.0-3.2GHz?
 
Nice review Kyle. AMD lost this round for sure...hopefully they'll make a comeback by late 2006/early 2007.
 
Bona Fide said:
Nice review Kyle. AMD lost this round for sure...hopefully they'll make a comeback by late 2006/early 2007.
This isn't revolutionary, remember.

Nothing amazingly new, just an update to get with the times.
 
Bona Fide said:
Nice review Kyle. AMD lost this round for sure...hopefully they'll make a comeback by late 2006/early 2007.


Actually they again kicked ass in this round. I think the next round is the one that will be of great interest.
 
Bona Fide said:
Nice review Kyle. AMD lost this round for sure...hopefully they'll make a comeback by late 2006/early 2007.
hmmm, well the only thing on the market that's beating amd right now are the overclocked core duo's, so... :D
 
Very nice and informative review. Basically what I gathered from this whole thing is this: "If you have a decent gaming system already, sit tight for a few months and smile as all this great new technology hits the market and make a decision then".

M2 should be pretty interesting in the Fall when AMD decides to ramp up some speeds. I would say for right now my Opty at 2.8Ghz holds up just fine against the benchmarks you showed us.
 
darn my old opty 170 and 2gb ballistix! Curses AMD for improving your products... again!
 
I thought it was a great read aside from all the spelling errors.
Unless Intel shows me something I cannot resist I will probably be getting the Energy Efficient AM2 X2 4400+ on a ASUS or DFI CrossFire motherboard.
 
This has me very upset. AMD has (once again) stopped catering to the regular consumer and is (once again) catering to the overclocker. I had my hopes up with the X2's stock performance compared to an equivalent Intel, but AM2 just dashed those hopes. The only place that the low power consumption will benefit is in overclocking...which I do not do :p I'm not saying that AM2 is a nail in AMD's coffin, but I think that shifting their focus back to the enthusiast market will eventually hurt them. I had high hopes for AM2, but unless they do something innovative with the new socket and power consumption, I see myself going with Intel's Core 2 for my back-to-school upgrade.

That being said, I forsee the X2 4000+ being very popular (so much that it takes the place of the Opty 165). 10x multi, the full 2MB of cache, lower power consumption, and right at that $350 price point...there's some serious overclocking potential there for your super-[H]ard guys. :)

Oh yeah, I would also like to congradulate [H]ardOCP on their highly sophisticated reviewing system. I loved how this comparison and the 7600GT/X1800GTO were done, kudos to you guys.
 
InorganicMatter said:
This has me very upset. AMD has (once again) stopped catering to the regular consumer and is (once again) catering to the overclocker. I had my hopes up with the X2's stock performance compared to an equivalent Intel, but AM2 just dashed those hopes. The only place that the low power consumption will benefit is in overclocking...which I do not do :p I'm not saying that AM2 is a nail in AMD's coffin, but I think that shifting their focus back to the enthusiast market will eventually hurt them. I had high hopes for AM2, but unless they do something innovative with the new socket and power consumption, I see myself going with Intel's Core 2 for my back-to-school upgrade.

That being said, I forsee the X2 4000+ being very popular (so much that it takes the place of the Opty 165). 10x multi, the full 2MB of cache, lower power consumption, and right at that $350 price point...there's some serious overclocking potential there for your super-[H]ard guys. :)
Everyone wins from low power cpus...
 
dekard said:
Everyone wins from low power cpus...
Not the all-stock-speed guy like me. ;) Unless AMD utelizes the lower temps to ramp up the clocks, low power consumption means nothing to me. Same goes for Intel's Core 2.
 
qdemn7 said:
WTF???? You turn off your box, and the forums go down? :eek:
I think he meant that he didn't know about the outage since he turned off his technology for a day :eek: How can you live for a whole day without your computer.
 
InorganicMatter said:
Not the all-stock-speed guy like me. ;) Unless AMD utelizes the lower temps to ramp up the clocks, low power consumption means nothing to me. Same goes for Intel's Core 2.

I take it you're living with your parents so you don't end up paying the electric bill? ;)

Everyone wins. Costs less to run the same machine, less heat = longer CPU life and more stability, you don't need near the monster power supply, massive heatsink with Soul-Sucking(tm) fan, etc. You can also build a performance machine that's quieter, a big bonus in my book.

If you're looking only for performance out of a review, fine. But there are lots of big-picture benefits to lower-power CPU's.
 
InorganicMatter said:
I think he meant that he didn't know about the outage since he turned off his technology for a day :eek: How can you live for a whole day without your computer.
Yeah, yeah I know that, I was just yanking his chain. No flushing sound yet. :D
 
kraemer007 said:
Where is all the nvidia launch stuff to go with this???

I'm starting to wonder that myself. I'm sure nV didn't mean they'll announce their new stuff at the exact same day as the AM2 announcement. It'll probably be pretty soon I hope. I've been waiting on some juicy next-gen video card rumors for some time now. It's what I enjoy reading most!

EDIT: BTW, nice informative review. I guess I should remain content with my OCed 4400+ for just a little while longer. :D
 
There are four new AM2 motherboards on MSI's site but the product page links are broken.
 
Back
Top