AMD advertising

Thats an older one, but still good.

And hey, look at the prescott survival kit

the site is down.

too bad, I always wondered why AMD doesn't advertise like the competition does. I'm a computer sales guy, and 90% of the time, when I ask customers whether they'd like an AMD or Intel, they say Intel, simply because they haven't 'heard' of AMD, or think it's a generic brand. The word "P4" is in the vocabulary of everyone who walks in through the front doors.

Samething goes for Asus boards, they always request the same brand because they heard it's good from a friend.

Just some frequent events that I wanted to share :)

I think it's a chicken and the egg type situation. To advertise you have to be big and have money, to be big and have money means you have to advertise. I do see a lot of web ads for amd, but no tv ads.

Utics said:
the site is down.

too bad, I always wondered why AMD doesn't advertise like the competition does. I'm a computer sales guy, and 90% of the time, when I ask customers whether they'd like an AMD or Intel, they say Intel, simply because they haven't 'heard' of AMD, or think it's a generic brand. The word "P4" is in the vocabulary of everyone who walks in through the front doors.

Samething goes for Asus boards, they always request the same brand because they heard it's good from a friend.

Just some frequent events that I wanted to share :)

my site is slow sometimes but not often down, try again

I have 85GB of bandwidth that I want to destroy so feel free to post this all around

Intel has billions upon billons of cash laying around. AMD does not.

AMD has done it in the past as we all know, but it did not offer a good return on investment.

Size.

You do realize that Intel spends on advertiseing alone about as much as AMD does on yearly R&D. Also intel subsidizes manufacture commercials who meantion the Intel processor along with their chime. (this is why you rarely if ever see commercials that meantion AMD by name.)

I asked this question a year or so ago at a AMD tech tour and their answer was part of that and that they rely on powerusers and techs to do the talking for them. this is a major reason why they always attempt to accomodate the enthusianst community as they are their spokesperson. They also have a site called retail pro where they attempt to educate salespeople on the differences and advantages of their processors as well as their company history. History is important, I used to do sales and the number one thing that people would say when you meantion AMD is think that they are an upstart. they also choose to spend most of their funds on magazine/online advertiseing as it tends to educate the user as well.

bottom line is that they would like to do advertiseing like Intel but they cant afford it.

I cant get that link to work, but I do remember back in the p3 days AMD would advertise the newly developed AMD Athlon. The commercial compared a p3 700 vs. an AMD 700 and had something to do with a train.

Yeah but the newer p4s would kill an amd xp and some 64s well amd was faster in the beganing but now :( although they still do make great processors and thats why I'll go with amd for my next comp.

Who told you intels are faster? I'd say most people here would say AMD makes the fastest chip available.

I would say teh fx is the fastest. But really they're neck and neck.

I've always used amd. Mainly in people's budget pc's (back before A64). The price/preformance is unbeatable.

the Axp does not really compete too well with the C series. I now recommend A64's almost always in better systems for cool 'n quiet and game preformance.

Jozone said:
I cant get that link to work, but I do remember back in the p3 days AMD would advertise the newly developed AMD Athlon. The commercial compared a p3 700 vs. an AMD 700 and had something to do with a train.

That was it. the link just worked for me.

how come AMD doesn't diversify like intel? like how come they don't make mobos. and don't wore on wireless tech.. junk like that? is it cause of cash? or maybe they do, and i'm not aware... could that help AMD become more of a household computer term?

They do. Flash memory and network controllers (at least they used to...) are some.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
how come AMD doesn't diversify like intel? like how come they don't make mobos. and don't wore on wireless tech.. junk like that? is it cause of cash? or maybe they do, and i'm not aware... could that help AMD become more of a household computer term?

they have 2 fabs. and are building a thrid. They can barely produce enough of what they already sell.

AMD does some visible advertising. Just look at Lance Armstrong and the US postal team, or Ferrari F1. Both have AMD visible for every one to see.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Yeah but the newer p4s would kill an amd xp and some 64s well amd was faster in the beganing but now :( although they still do make great processors and thats why I'll go with amd for my next comp.

Ever hear of grammer and punctuation? That is damn hard to understand.
:(

Back