AMD A10-7890K, A10-7860K, and Athlon X4 880K Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at LanOC have the AMD A10-7890K, A10-7860K, and Athlon X4 880K strapped to the test bench today. The results were mixed overall, with pricing being a plus and performance versus Intel processors being a minus.

About two months ago AMD did a large product line refresh that focused around the newly introduced Wraith Cooler, at the time we took a look at the cooler. Then closer to our LAN event they sent out samples for some of the other CPUs and APUs introduced. In their FM2+ mainstream line they refreshed the Kaveri APUs as well as an Athlon X4 CPU. Well with our LAN event keeping my schedule tied up I’m just now finally getting a chance to see what the new A10-7860K sample and Athlon X4 880K that they sent out a that time.

I think "...performance versus Intel processors being a minus" is quite an understatement... I'd like AMD to succeed, but I wonder if they can survive with these numbers.

Yup, Intel finally is within spitting distance of AMD with Skylake desktop graphics, so they have AMD running scared. The Core i3 6100 should be about 15% slower (10% lower clock, half the L3 cache), so still within kicking distance.

And now that Intel's shipping some high-end Pentiums with HD 530, the race is on.

Would have been a much better review if 6100 had been involved, and one of these!

Intel Pentium G4500 Skylake Dual-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662G4500 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530 - Newegg.com

Last edited:
"Memory: 8GB" ... ugh again, looks like 1x8 to me, while they used 2x2 and 4x4 on a couple Intel systems. Doesn't even list how much for the 1366 system.

Back