AMD A10 5800K - Thoughts?

syn2083

n00b
So I got this A10 from a kickstarter giveaway. Normally I am an intel guy but since I have it I decided to make a nice media server/file server.

I havent used any of the new AMD APU models, so I am wondering how they fare from those of you who use them in regards to media streaming?

From the benches and tests I can find they seem to fair well, but fall down compared to intel in other areas.

So I guess it boils down to, how do you use the A10/AX and how do you like it? Planning to pair this with a ASRock FM2A85X-ITX for the mITX build. For at least right now, planning to just use onboard video with no dedicated GPU, which may change in the future.

I see people game on them with no added in video card that play mostly MMO's and older games. So to me they seem to do fairly well. I know one individual who plays Skyrim on one with no added in card. Not sure what settings he's using but he tells me it plays fine.

cool thanks for the reply :) ill be interested to see how it does in the setup myself game/media wise

depends on what you are doing with it, the whole Intel is better then AMD that people spout is alot of times to be taken with a grain of salt. IF both are playable SMOOTHLY, then it does not matter if one gets extra X fps or not, if both are comparable from raw performance, one of them is not magically getting super playable fps and the other falling on its face.

I persoanlly would not go Asrock, more then a few of my freinds RMA thier brand new boards cause of manufacturing issues and had to go through alot of hassle to get repairs, I would go Asus, Msi, Gigabyte before I use anyone else, IMO.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-trinity-needs-faster-ram/
and do make sure to pair it up with fast ram, and maybe a decent cooler to get the most out of its memory controller, and clock speed while keeping it a bit cooler, it will do fine. I can remember playing oblivion on a built in Nvidia igp that was way underpowered, played it well enough, and I have a freind playing planteside 2 with a GT220 and low end core 2 chip, it lags, but he can still play, this would be far more powerfull then either, movies, and general gaming, batman as example is far from a low end game for its requirments.

However, if you plan on using a gpu at some point, I would think about going with Athlon II 750k FM2 and a decent gpu or Intel with a decent gpu, more performance/$ for sure.

Yeah not terribly concerned with gaming on it, I have a normal desktop I do that on, this is predominantly going to be used for media serving/file shares and some light backup work so I think it should be more than enough.

As for amd v intel, your completely right. I think especially for the application I will be using it in, it should be quite fine.

Sad to hear about the ASRock though.. too bad I already ordered, may just return it when I get it then.. thanks for the input!

The A10 offers console-quality graphics on integrated silicon. Don't expect miracles, on the other hand don't expect anything less than the fastest integrated video available.

If you plan on doing video encoding also, then look into programs that use AMD's gpu side of the apu. I use Aimersoft bluray ripper and Aimersoft dvd ripper. It cost me $90 for both but it speeds up the process. There is not a cpu out there can rip a bluray or dvd faster than a gpu. So even if some one tells you that their Intel cpu is faster at encoding then you AMD apu then you are just not using the right software. Even with Intels quick sync, the top of the line i7 will not keep up with an apu.

very good points from everyone, thats the point, to many are biased towards Nvidia or Intel when alot of the time AMD and Radeon are just fine when using the right stuff. You could use a hammer to smack a screw in, but a screwdriver is better, use the tool that is right for the job at hand, maybe AMD does not have as much devs for everything, but they have come a LONG way in the last few years, very few things they are not just as capable at, if not wicked faster then the competition for certain things(multi-threaded as example for their "new" cpu, or SHA256 type stuff for the Radeons)

Thats a really good tip on the software ill definitely look at getting that dcds1 thanks very much!

I already got the A10 for free as a reward from Obsidian Ruiner, though if I decide to build a second AMD media rig ill look at the A8 first, thanks for the tip!

I completely agree dragonstongue. In my highschool days when AMD was first starting to really take off I was much more directly opinionated on hardware and Intel p3 > AMD, *heck I was even one of the voodoo diehards that felt like nvidia was garbage hehe* and ATi who?!

These days, and after working in support, and with technology for quite a while.. as you said, you find the tool best for the job. AMD has created a nice space for itself in the media market, and the APU units (provided you target appropriately) seem pretty slick *just havent used em myself yet*. Add in that ATI has for quite a while been MUCH better at media centric arenas over nvidia, coupled with solid CPU work and yeah, i think it will be a great mix of a htpc, and file server. Tiny place, so its going to do some double/tripple duty hehe.

I appreciate the feedback folks, being that I havent used an AMD in roughly 5 years just wanted to get some actual people to post some thoughts, so thanks again! :D

If you want some more gpu power out of the A10 get faster memory this helps somewhat.

1866 is good , higher is better but the increase isn't that great.

yeah my current build lineup is:

CM 120 elite case
A10 5800 - already have
FM2A85X-ITX - in the mail, though the issues from another thread are a bit concerning.. may change
8gb (probably toss in another 8gb as well) gskill 1866
CM geminII m4 cooler
Corsair 430w 80plus psu
Working on a 120gb SSD for boot partition
Then
1tb WD black for apps
and at the start 1x 1.5tb WD green for fileshare mirrored
WS2012 essentials with a VM if needed for better htpc interoperability, though I doubt that will be needed really.

So I think this will, considering mobo potential issues, be a good setup. Toss in a dedicated GPU if/as needed, some more ram, etc. I think it will end up being a pretty sweet server

I'm using the A10-5800k with the Asrock a75 mini-itx board in my htpc. I chose that configuration specifically because of Trinity's performance and quality in regard to htpc usage. I designed my system to handle blu-ray 3d playback while recording up to 3 hd channels from my hd home run prime, while being as quiet as possible. I have a log and some pics here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1739517

The A10-5800k is a decent CPU, I have one and it works great with my HTPC and I have the 6670 in it for the hybrid crossfire mode and can play some games in medium settings.

I use the Intel G860 as my HTPC CPU. Intend to add a discrete graphics card to it eventually.

I'm waiting on my A10-5800K for my file server/NAS. I intend to have ~21GB worth of HDDs in it and will be recording HD content from my HDHomeRun Prime directly to it, so I can free up space on my HTPC. The only reason I went with AMD in this setup was because I needed as many SATA ports as possible for a little as possible, since almost all Intel motherboards under like $150 have 6 SATA ports, going with AMDs APU lineup with 8 SATA ports for less than $100 was an easy decision. Plus the 4 cores on the 5800K should handle whatever I throw at it.

I do game on the Intel CPU/GPU and it does pretty good for what it is. Played L4D and Sonic All-Star Racing on it just fine.

You mean 21TB worth of space. I do not mean to be critical I make that mistake myself. At least I do not say accidentally say MB any more for data storage space...

You mean 21TB worth of space. I do not mean to be critical I make that mistake myself. At least I do not say accidentally say MB any more for data storage space...

No. GB man, GB. :eek:

jk
I've made that mistake at least twice now when talking about it. :(

I'm using the A10-5800k with the Asrock a75 mini-itx board in my htpc. I chose that configuration specifically because of Trinity's performance and quality in regard to htpc usage. I designed my system to handle blu-ray 3d playback while recording up to 3 hd channels from my hd home run prime, while being as quiet as possible. I have a log and some pics here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1739517

Sweet, thanks for the build log i'll definitely be reading that! I think it will be a pretty solid system.

Thanks for the info solara2xb, I think it will work fine here too, like I said I'm not really trying to game with it, just media and server duty.

lol @ Skillz & drescherjm I think we all slip up like that from time to time haha. I also totally agree with you Skillz, right now for pure cost and appropriately identifying what your doing, AMD is pretty tough to beat price wise and again if you are planning right, quality is definitely not an issue (at least from what I have been reading on my meandering through the web since my last forray with AMD hehe).

Thanks again for all the input guys, its certainly helpful

Iposted about scaling with memory speeds advantage 1600+ is helpfull 1866 best but if can swing the extra $ there definately is advantage for 2133 as shown

I try to support AMD when I can, the more we support them with our wallets,feedback etc, the better it will for all of us in the long run. They truly are one of the only companies that give back to thier workers and the user, hell they do the best they can for being so much smaller then the giants in the business and have done alot for tech stuff that we all use..Because of them Nvidia and others are ALOT more free to help each other.They are also a hell of alot more "fair" with thier devs and opensource community(as much as they can given thier workload to keep up)

A8 vs A10 gpu wise not much missing from what I remember, so slightly better bang for buck. A8-A10 sad as it is are very efficent compared to FX clock for clockand by far from power use/temps, I am sad they did not keep going with Phenom II x4/x6/x8 they had a great design going for them.

I haven't tried the A10 but I have a laptop with a quad A8-4500M (30 Watt TDP) and I'm very impressed. It was $399, the equivalent Intel offering starts at $700. That's what Trinity is all about.

It should be fine for most gaming, as long as you're not playing in a way that would actually require a top end video card.

Just as a comparison, I have an inferior APU (A8 3850) and can play Star Wars: The Old Republic, using decent eye candy settings, and maintain a good frame rate, at 1920x1080. I see no reason why someone with the newer A10 5800K wouldn't enjoy a significantly superior experience.

It was $399, the equivalent Intel offering starts at $700.

At that price you were certainly looking for the wrong thing when you looked at Intel laptops or you went to some type of scam website. Did you look at i3 laptops? These also start at under $400 US and will be competitive with the A8 (with the i3 having better cpu performance however lower graphics performance).

At that price you were certainly looking for the wrong thing when you looked at Intel laptops or you went to some type of scam website. Did you look at i3 laptops? These also start at under $400 US and will be competitive with the A8 (with the i3 having better cpu performance however lower graphics performance).

I got it from newegg, I was comparing apples-to-apples so I looked at all the offerings in the SAMSUNG "Series 3" laptops with quad CPUs.

You must have been counting cores (ignoring the fact that the i3 is also 4 threads) and looking at frequency which is as at least as wrong now as it was back in the days when the P4 ran at > 3.0 GHz and competed against a ~1.8GHz athlon.

You must have been counting cores (ignoring the fact that the i3 is also 4 threads) and looking at frequency which is as at least as wrong now as it was back in the days when the P4 ran at > 3.0 GHz and competed against a ~1.8GHz athlon.

True, I was just an ignorant shopper and got a SAMSUNG NP365E5C-S01US notebook for $399.:cool:

So I finished my build:

CM 120 elite case
A10 5800 - already have
FM2A85X-ITX
8gb gskill 1866
CM geminII m4 cooler
Corsair 430w 80plus psu

Windows Server 2012 Essentials

I am quite impressed with it as a DC, File Server, and Media streamer thus far. It has been rock solid, and streaming performance has been on the Good+ side (not great/awesome). I figure with some ram timing tweaks and perhaps a 6670 it will perform outstanding for the purposes I am using it with.

As far as server duty, the processor has been well more than adequate. Small home network (4-5 users, 3-4 PCs, some gaming platforms etc). Easily handles server duty, and doesnt interfere with file/media services.

File serving has been excellent, no problems with bad xFer speeds, and distributing folders across several drives has worked well, again no issues.

Overall for this application I give it an A+. It has been excellent thus far, and the integrated APU for streaming media, or directly playing on the TV (integrated HDMI) has been excellent. THX has been pretty sweet as well.

Ill post more thoughts as they come up, but so far, loving the little rig.

one of the reasons i went with the A8-5600k for my HTPC/Media server machine i was building recently was because of the integrated GPU that could actually do things. its not mind blowingly fast but it will run heaven benchmark at 720p low quality and get ~30 FPS so its not your typical garbage IGP most i'll probably need the GPU for is emulators and maybe SVP enhanced video playback (motion enhancement)

Back