• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD 940 BE AM2+

kspooner13

n00b
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
56
I've looked around, and was curious about the potential of this processor. Im currently stuck with AM2+ MoBo and DDR2 for awhile which will do me for the modest amount of work i do on it. What i do need is a move to quad core.

Does anyone know any better options than the 940BE? What about its Overclocking potential?


Thanks for your help
 
Check up on your motherboard's compatible list. I'm running an AM2+ board with the new Phenom II X6. A lot of AM2+ boards will take any AM3 chip, with the proper BIOS update. I would look at the Athlon II x4, as it's cheaper than the 940 but performs just about as good. They're also good overclockers.
 
i agree with the 955.. i own a 940 as well and honestly wouldnt recommend it with the 955 out now.. just make sure its the C3 stepping version.. runs cooler and lower voltage with better overclocking.. check for a bios update.. if it supports the 940 it will definitely support the 955..
 
I currently have a gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H am2+, the site is kinda confusing as far as which it takes. Does "Socket AM3" means it takes am3's?
 
I currently have a gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H am2+, the site is kinda confusing as far as which it takes. Does "Socket AM3" means it takes am3's?

Yes, it'll take a AM3 cpu. All of the current AM3 chips include DDR2 support, so as long as you have a BIOS that recognizes the newer chips you're golden. According to Gigabyte, you can even use then new X6 if you're interested.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2887
Shows all of the supported CPUs.
 
Nifty.

So the 955 is the best bang for the buck? X6 is a little out of my price range currently.


Or should the 965 be able to clock higher?
 
As long as the 955 is the C3 stepping, it's the best choice. The older chips are C2s but don't overclock as high.
 
Check up on your motherboard's compatible list. I'm running an AM2+ board with the new Phenom II X6. A lot of AM2+ boards will take any AM3 chip, with the proper BIOS update. I would look at the Athlon II x4, as it's cheaper than the 940 but performs just about as good. They're also good overclockers.
I would consider the Athlon II x4 if you're looking specifically at getting a quad. The athlon's gaming performance isn't as good as the Phenoms, but if you OC it, it should be on par with the quad phenoms. The quad athlon is a killer deal, but as for what other people said, the 955 is definitely better than a 940
 
The Phenoms are definetly better when it comes to bigger games.
Even if its a x3 most of the time they are unlockable stable to a x4.
 
The 940 is a real pain for overclocking. I can't get it past 3.8. If I could go back I would go 955 for sure.
 
The 940 is a real pain for overclocking. I can't get it past 3.8. If I could go back I would go 955 for sure.

thats because the 940 wont go past 3.8ghz.. just like the x3 and just like the 945 and just like the c2 955.. the early models just wont go past 3.8ghz with any reasonable voltage..
 
Back
Top