AMD 7970 (xfx) x2 crossfire LOW FPS!

themagnus

n00b
Hey. I need help.
I recently bought new videocards.2 xfx 7970 in crossfire.
My processor is an AMD 8core 3.1 GHz clocked up to 4.1Ghz.
I have the newest drivers... Just updated bios.
My fps is low in games like BF3, WarZ etc.
What is the problem??

-Magnus

... those seem fine to me depending on graphic settings. 60 fps isn't low and WarZ is a badly optimized game from what I remember.

I'd compare graphical settings they're using with the ones you're using. If they're playing at a low resolution with no Anti-Alising they might get great fps with with a crap card, it won't look as good though.

I'd compare graphical settings they're using with the ones you're using. If they're playing at a low resolution with no Anti-Alising they might get great fps with with a crap card, it won't look as good though.

I get 60FPS in BF3 ultra across 3 screens, your frames are very low. I'm running an XFX and Sapphire 7970 stock clocks. I get 75-90 across one.

My friends with way more poor grafics get mutch better results!

You need to test apples to apples here. I suspect your friends are running at lower resolutions, lower AA settings, or lower detail settings (all all of the above).

My processor is an AMD 8core 3.1 GHz clocked up to 4.1Ghz.

Plus this could be holing you back if your friends have Intel setups :)

Last edited:
What res are you playing at since I didnt see it listed? Drivers? OS?

If you can list your full specs it would help alot more.

1 monitor. 1080 res.
AMD FX 8120 Eight core processor. 4.21 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 Bit windows 7
SSD Drive
xfx 7970 3gb
xfx 7970 3gb..

I have a lot of friends that are working with pc and stuff. They are skilled as he*ll.
None of them can find a resulution on my problem. I do not think it can be a bottleneck either.

1 monitor. 1080 res.
16 GB RAM
64 Bit windows 7
SSD Drive
xfx 7970 3gb
xfx 7970 3gb..

I have a lot of friends that are working with pc and stuff. They are skilled as he*ll.
None of them can find a resulution on my problem. I do not think it can be a bottleneck either.
so they are skilled as hell and they let you choose that cpu for your 7970 crossfire setup? :p

I get 120fps on BF3 on a 1080p screen crossfiring 2x 6970. Maybe somethings wrong with your drivers?

1 monitor. 1080 res.
16 GB RAM
64 Bit windows 7
SSD Drive
xfx 7970 3gb
xfx 7970 3gb..

You have downloaded and installed all the new MB drivers and gpu drivers?
Did you check cpu-z/gpu-z to see if anything i wrong like maybe your slots are not running at x16?

You have downloaded and installed all the new MB drivers and gpu drivers?
Did you check cpu-z/gpu-z to see if anything i wrong like maybe your slots are not running at x16?

MB driver and gpu driver YES.

How do i check this?

Thank you so much for helping me guys.
This shit is making me crazy...

Here you have the results of those programs.
upload_zps3bed6c1a.png

I get 120fps on BF3 on a 1080p screen crossfiring 2x 6970. Maybe somethings wrong with your drivers?
what settings? what cpu? you don't even average that much less come remotely close to maintaining it on max settings. it takes more gpu power than that and even on oced i5 will dip into the 80s at times no matter what gpus are being used.

Is it bad?
The CPU is not new. I've had it for a year or two.
The cards are new this month.
well its just not the best choice for pushing a high end crossfire/sli setup especially at just 1080. even with a single high end card, an 8120 is going to limit its full potential.

It is at 16x !

What would be a good processor for my pc then? I guess i will have to
change motherboard and the hole thing...

is that one good enough?
What about if i want an intel processor would that be better than amd?

What MB do you have?

Really, Intel is best if you want the most out of your system. The 8350 is pretty decent, though mostly when programs utilize all 8 cores.
I wouldnt change unless you have the money and need a backup computer, which the 8120 would be good for something to goof around on.

I got a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mb.
Yes i will find something else to put it in.
So what you say is intel is the best choice. And the
8350 still would bottleneck my videocards.....
What intel processor would you go for?
Im looking at a msi bigbang motherboard witch i think would look good
in my CM cosmos case.. :)

I got a ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mb.
Yes i will find something else to put it in.
So what you say is intel is the best choice. And the
8350 still would bottleneck my videocards.....
What intel processor would you go for?
Im looking at a msi bigbang motherboard witch i think would look good
in my CM cosmos case.. :)

The 8350 would work in your MB.

You can do some research on here and check out people who have switched to intel that had improvements. You can get a 3570K and a nice heatsink like the CM 212+ and OC to 4.5.(The CM 212+ is a good $30 HSF, but if you want the best it will be around $85 or so like the NH-D14)

Are you sure both gpu's are working together? Use afterbuner and select on screen gpu usage for both cards and both fan speeds. You might have to disable ULPS in the registery like i did as well. and in CCC, tesselation mode is AMD optimized. Also just to make sure you dont run in windowed mode because crossfire will not work.

After i did all of that i was getting 60fps easily maxed settings in games on a 144p monitor.

use afterburner to see if the gpus are actually clocking up to there full speed when you're in a game.

i've had this weird issue lately while watching a stream that when i launch a game it'll stay at 500mhz

if i move the speed even 1 mhz in afterburner and hit apply then it will stay at its higher clockspeed.

maybe thats happening for you too, just an idea

Make sure you are not using both crossfire bridges as that can cause performance issues, all you need is one.

It's most likely the CPU issue...

You are running at only 1080p and your CPU is acting like a turtle in this situation..

I suggest you to use just one card until you can get a Intel CPU...

I had a similar problem awhile back until I upgrade my CPU....

PS: If your friends are like what you said, WHY IN THE WORLD they let you get that CPU for this setup?

So you suggest intel cpu.
Which ones of the intel's are good shit?
Thank you for all help folks :)
Then i am going to buy new motherboard and cpu.
Just got to find out which ones

Back