• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD 7850 help for a friend

martinje

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Messages
1,348
I have a friend that needs some help. I have not own a AMD video card in over 2 years and I have lost the overall driver situation. Let me tell you a bit on his system;

CPU = Q9500
Motherboard Chipset = Nforce 750i SLI
Power Supply= 800 W
RAM = 8 gigs

Previos Video Card = 9800 GTX

He reinstall windows 7, chipset driver and the latest AMD drivers. He says that the games dont run as smooth as before. I dont know what else to tell him.

You guys have any ideas? I told him maybe we should upgrade his board and cpu but dont know if that will solve his problem 100%. Have you ever heard that chipset playing nicely with the 7850?

Thanks
 
Well something is definitely wrong there. I mean, a 7850 should stomp a 9800.

What games is he playing. Is he using any weird settings? Though even if he was using weird settings the 7850 should still perform better.

What does he mean by smooth? Is he just talking about frame rates?

I suppose it could be a driver problem if he is playing random old games, but it seems unlikely. I just can't see how the 7850 could possibly perform worse. I mean, I found that my 8800gt was not good enough a couple years back, so I upgraded to the 4890 which was a huge increase. Last month I upgraded to the 7850 which when overclocked is giving me about a 100% increased over my 4890.


Can you give us any more info about what he is doing?
 
He is playing The Last Remnant. He said before the capes will move with the wind and now the capes stay flat with no motion. He is reposting slow fps compared to what he has with the 9800 gtx. He ran 3Dmark2011 and scored 3800 and told him his score is lower then similar systems.

I had him go to his device manager, and he reports no questions marks nor explanations points on any device. I really dont know what else it could be.
 
I know this is a sore spot, but the drivers for the 7850 are iffy right now. I know, I own one. Is he running the current 12.4 drivers? Maybe straighten some things out.

Also, his BIOS settings may affect it, such as video ram cacheable, etc. Maybe reset his BIOS to performance defaults of something of that nature.
 
Have you checked if the card is in ULPS?

I'd suggest:

1. create restore, save registry.

2.Uninstall ALL AMD software

3.run driversweeper in safe mode, although some people have reported problems with ccleaner screwing up ccc, you can if you wish do this in conjunction with a registry cleaner, there's tons out there.

4.install Cat12.4 WHQL

5. install CAP if you wish

6.Run Regedit and look for any entries with "ulps", on the ones that say "enable ulps" change value to from 1 to "0", press f3 to cycle through all entries.

7.Go to youtube and play a video, during playback, right click on the video to bring up flash settings, then look for hardware acceleration and uncheck the box. Flash hardware acceleration messes with my 2d/3d clocks when it's running in the background so check that.

8.Finally tell him to get a gpu monitor, like afterburner or asus gpu tweak, I use the latter. During game, alt tab and check his gpu history in the aforementioned monitor to see if it's not running excessively slow, like 300mhz. 3dmark shouldn't be that low, it should be above or around 5k, I get 7200 with a bit of tweaking with the system in sig. Hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
that's a TWIMTBP game with heavy "optimizations" for Nvidia cards.

Just because nVidia has software teams that help devs write code that runs well on nVidia doesn't mean it is an "optimization" in the sense you are implying.
 
If they were, that would be serious grounds for an anti-competitive lawsuit.

Are you kidding ? Nvidia embeds devs at various publishers to promote TWIMTBP games, they have around 10 people that do this, its no secret. AMD has done the same with AMD specific titles, ever wonder why all recent THQ games always run faster on AMD? Crysis 2 ran faster on nvidia hardware at launch than the 6970, wonder why?

Of course games have vendor optimizations. It happens on both sides. Not sure if clueless or oblivious. Did you come to the ATI forum just to pick an argument? Or to help fix the OP's problem? :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top