AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

Waiting on the reviews but regardless I will still be getting one of the 6000 series cards. Maybe dual GPU. :)

First official picture surfaces
amd6870580x436.jpg

"Named point of HD 6800 integrated HD 5870/5850 series graphics cards looks like the location, but in fact not the case, the release of HD 6800 series graphics cards are mainly used for the end user to replace the AMD HD5700 series graphics cards position. 继承现阶段HD 5800顶级系列显卡的产品将会是下一代HD 6900系列显卡。 Top succession HD 5800 series graphics cards at this stage the product will be the next-generation HD 6900 series graphics cards. "

Never really bought a vid card at "launch" before; which US e-tailers have traditionally been the first to get stock accurately listed on their websites? I'm guessing the 'egg? Any other recommendations?

Never really bought a vid card at "launch" before; which US e-tailers have traditionally been the first to get stock accurately listed on their websites? I'm guessing the 'egg? Any other recommendations?

Amazon actually is another. If only because hundreds maybe thousands of vendors sell through them.

Hi there, this is my first post, so i have to say that my english is very bad.

@Topic: The new HD6XXX line looks interesting for me (at the moment i use a 8800gtx, and it's to slow for games like BFBC2), but i think the Barts XT cards are priced a little bit to high, arent they?

@Topic: The new HD6XXX line looks interesting for me (at the moment i use a 8800gtx, and it's to slow for games like BFBC2), but i think the Barts XT cards are priced a little bit to high, arent they?

We don't know what they will actually be selling for until they are released. It is still speculation at this point.

The XFX 6850 has a pretty nice looking vented design. It has been proven that bigger exhaust gaps improve gpu temps. Just look at EVGA's high flow brackets. So the temp improvements from that doesn't surprise me. Glad to see so many manufacturers going with non-ref cooling on launch. It's always good to improve gpu temps and reduce the noise factor.

Where are you getting that Radeons are too slow for BC2? I don't see any particular disadvantage for Radeons in that game.

Last edited:

There is no official pricing yet, only rumors. So anything you hear is speculation.

Where are you getting that Radeons are slow for BC2? I believe that game favors Radeons over Geforce actually.
He didn't say that. He said his 8800gtx is too slow.

Yes, that's right, but in most cases the speculations were right. Fudzilla said anything about 250$, this would end in 250€ for me. In my opinion this would be to much, but the hope dies at last :D

Edit: I had a 4870x2 before, but i sold it before the HD6XX line was announced. So it lost not as much in worth as it had lost after the release/announce of the HD 6XX line. And this card was fast enough!

Yes, that's right, but in most cases the speculations were right. Fudzilla said anything about 250$, this would end in 250€ for me. In my opinion this would be to much, but the hope dies at last :D

I think the slated price is going to be $200 or less. 6800 series Bart is slated to compete directly with the GTX 460.

We don't know exact performance figures so it's too early to say how the price compares.

@vjcsmoke: I hope you're right, for less than 200 bucks i would buy it. If they realy point it against GTX460, it would be the money worth. Maybe it's a oc monster and i have to reactivate my watercooling, which was suspended when i sold my 4870x2 :D Finaly i hope for some good cards. AMD could make it ^^

Well considering it performs like a 5850 and because of it's "name change". I'm betting the 6870 will run upwards of $300. If not more.

Otherwise they would have called it a 67xx.

Well considering it performs like a 5850 and because of it's "name change". I'm betting the 6870 will run upwards of $300. If not more.

Nope the $300 and up cards will be the 6950 and 6970.

Nope the $300 and up cards will be the 6950 and 6970.

We don't know exact performance figures so it's too early to say how the price compares

So you know the exact cost, but not how it performs :confused:

Do you work for AMD?

I agree, the name indicates higher price than 57xx. But I see it more like high end is splitting to a lower and upper tiers, and 57xx continues. Like this:

Code:
                     ---------------------------------69xx
58xx ------------
                     ---------------------------------68xx

57xx -------------------------------------------------57xx

I see pricing between the old 57xx and 58xx series.

6850 - $199- $219 (can't be higher than this to compete with GTX 460).
6870 - $249- $279

Last edited:
Snowdog is right, that's the likely one

As for cost.. the leaked European websites show the 6850 @ < $200 and 6870 < $250. ATI hasn't been stupid about pricing, and they know where their cards are compared to the GTX 460, and will compete appropriately

No I don't work for AMD. I didn't say an exact cost either. I gave a range ($300 and up). All I know is the 6850 and 6870 will be priced competitively against the GTX460 768MB and GTX460 1GB. and will have better performance at those price points. If they price the 6850 and 6870 exorbitantly higher as you suggest it simply won't sell.

The HD6xxx family of cards will have more members than the HD5xxx. They left a big hole open for Nvidia to position the GTX460 and they want to close it. Look at how successful the GTX460 has been.
There was nothing between the 5850 and the 5770, the performance gap was too great as well as the cost. The 5830 didn't really cut it because it was made from salvaged defective chips. This time AMD made a chip specifically to fill that gap, i.e. Barts.
So the high end dual chip cards will be 6990 (unnoficial name since we don't really know what it will be called) made of 2x Cayman chips.
The top enthusiast single GPU is Cayman with 2 cards coming out from it. 6970/6950
The performance GPU is Barts, 2 more cards from it. 6870/6850
There is not much info about what the 6770and 6750 will be, some rumors suggest they will be rebranding the 5770/5750 but nothing confirmed. People assumed that because AMD will continue to sell the 5770 'til the end of the year. It also could mean the replacement chip will not be ready until next year.

I just realized who we were responding to...

Anywho, beyond all that, it makes little business sense if a 6900 series is also due, to place the 6800's anywhere but where the lineup sorely needed a card

Anywho, beyond all that, it makes little business sense if a 6900 series is also due, to place the 6800's anywhere but where the lineup sorely needed a card

Yeah, the 460 line has been the only clear threat to AMD's line-up. If the 6850 and 6870 beat those cards at a competitive/lower price, then.....Well........

Back