AMD 6850 and 6870 released, October 18

I would say the high prices for the 6850 and 6870 are off but then I got to thinking. AMD is not going to be as concerned with those high launch prices as they are competing with the arch nemesis the GTX 460.

The 460 Is the market threat to them. They will focus on the 6770 prices to keep the 460 pinned down in the market and that might mean higher prices for the high end stuff in the meantime.

Not to worry tho. They will compensate in my opinion with vastly lower prices to clear out the old 5x gear. And while a 5850 will need more power than a 6770 it wont by too much to walk away from say getting a 2nd at 200 or less for Crossfire.

Also their focus is going to be getting the 6670 and lower out quickly as well. Because these look to be king for HTPC use. I REALLY want to know if the lowest end part can do Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing because that would make it the king of the kings.

I'm not sure if I believe the specs in this article. If they are real and the 68xx is replacing the 57xx series, then hopefully that means a good price for the 6800 series!!

I'm not sure if I believe the specs in this article. If they are real and the 68xx is replacing the 57xx series, then hopefully that means a good price for the 6800 series!!

At what price point will that the 58xx replacement cards (one assumes they will be named 69xx) then???

*sigh*

Geez man when you see a topic this big don't just hit the post button. READ. Post after post after post shows that the article is crap.

I quote myself

Lets get it straight folks so these FUD sites stop getting free traffic from panicked folks.

6770 competes with GTX 460 It beats the 5850 and approaches the 5870. The 6850 and 6870 are going to be MONSTER cards.

At what price point will that the 58xx replacement cards (one assumes they will be named 69xx) then???

There is no replacement! GEEZ people read the frakkin posts!

Lets get it straight folks so these FUD sites stop getting free traffic from panicked folks.

6770 competes with GTX 460 It beats the 5850 and approaches the 5870. The 6850 and 6870 are going to be MONSTER cards.

The 6850 and 6870 will be monsters in the 200-400 range. The 69x series will be Godzilla with a fan.

I wonder if there is a real leak out there somewhere and ATI decided to release a bunch of phony ones to obscure things. If so, Good job. I give up on reading these rumors and will wait for real info.

I wonder if there is a real leak out there somewhere and ATI decided to release a bunch of phony ones to obscure things. If so, Good job. I give up on reading these rumors and will wait for real info.

All this supposed "New" crap only has unnamed sources when the more accurate older ones have AMD slides from multiple sources showing the 6770 competing with the GTX 460

Many of these sites are trying to push Anti-Nvidia crap to drive traffic.

people it is simple the 6770 will equal the 5870 in performance terms this is amd kicking the x7xx series to a 256bit bus from the previous versions 128bit bus. this means that the higher end cards will get a bump up in performance. this is not a simple refresh

people it is simple the 6770 will equal the 5870 in performance terms this is amd kicking the x7xx series to a 256bit bus from the previous versions 128bit bus. this means that the higher end cards will get a bump up in performance. this is not a simple refresh
not even rumors have suggested it will be faster than the 5870. best case so for based on rumors is that it will just edge out the 5850.

So (sorry for asking again) the 6870 will be the fastest single GPU offering from AMD this round?

It depends on which rumor you read. Some are stating that the 6870 will not be faster than a 5850 and that a 6970 is coming out that should be their fastest single GPU.

not even rumors have suggested it will be faster than the 5870. best case so for based on rumors is that it will just edge out the 5850.

still it looks like amd is kicking the high mid dutys down to a lower price point this is good

Actually, they have. It depends on the real world performance of the new architecture, which, theoretically, could stomp AMD's previous architecture if it's as efficient as some have made it out to be. Remember that the new Barts XT part is supposedly 320SP, the same as the 5870, and is clocked at 900MHz. One of the guesstimates I've seen thrown around is that it will be a bit slower in older DX9 games, but will actually be faster in newer DX10 and DX11 games, definitely when tessellation is used. We will see in a few weeks.

Actually, they have. It depends on the real world performance of the new architecture, which, theoretically, could stomp AMD's previous architecture if it's as efficient as some have made it out to be. Remember that the new Barts XT part is supposedly 320SP, the same as the 5870, and is clocked at 900MHz. One of the guesstimates I've seen thrown around is that it will be a bit slower in older DX9 games, but will actually be faster in newer DX10 and DX11 games, definitely when tessellation is used. We will see in a few weeks.
I guess I have not any seen any of those rumors

All this supposed "New" crap only has unnamed sources when the more accurate older ones have AMD slides from multiple sources showing the 6770 competing with the GTX 460

Many of these sites are trying to push Anti-Nvidia crap to drive traffic.

Just wanted to post this again. The 6770 competes with the GTX 460 if that isnt sinking in and making sense then go spend some time looking at AMDs tactics in the past.

So (sorry for asking again) the 6870 will be the fastest single GPU offering from AMD this round?

That or a 6890 which while unlikey is sort of possible due to the better 40nm yields. However it will be a very large die which AMD tends to shy away from remember the 2900XT fiasco?

I agree it is not a simple refresh but I am not convinced it will beat a 5870. There is absolutely no need at this time. Sure they can always do a 6790 but I dont know if beating that card is worth the market confusion.

A bit more than just but yes not likely to be > 5870

It depends on which rumor you read. Some are stating that the 6870 will not be faster than a 5850 and that a 6970 is coming out that should be their fastest single GPU.

Those are the crap rumors being posted to break hype. Mainly by Nvidiots. Post after post shows slide after slide showing that it will be the 6770 that beats the 5850 and GTX 460.

The Tessellation is about the only way it could stomp a 5870 in my opinion. However developers are just now going DX10 for a large degree and DX11 effects are used just to add extra stuff not end up as a foundation in most games. I don't know if that is a valid comparison then unless people Intend to keep their cards past 2012.

The Tessellation is about the only way it could stomp a 5870 in my opinion. However developers are just now going DX10 for a large degree and DX11 effects are used just to add extra stuff not end up as a foundation in most games. I don't know if that is a valid comparison then unless people Intend to keep their cards past 2012.

Nothing will happen in 2012, right? Right? :p

Just kidding.

However, you make a very valid point in your post. Any rumor about the mid-range being 6850/6870 is probably just FUD/Nvidia fanboyism/whatever.

So, if redoing the list I made in a previous thread, could the cards possibly be scaled like this from low to high performance?

(Added other possible cards if following the current 5000-series line.)

• [6550? (Low-end)]
  • [6570? (Low-end)]
  • 5750 (Old mid-range)
  • [6650? (Low-end)]
  • 5770 (Old mid-range)
  • [6670? (Low-end)]
  • 5830 (Old mid-range)
  • 6750 (Mid-range) - Barts Pro
  • 5850 (Old high-end)
  • 6770 (Mid-range) - Barts XT
  • [6830? (Mid-range)]
  • 5870 (Old High-end)
  • 6850 (High-end)
  • 6870 (High-end)
  • 5970 (Old Enthusiast)
  • [6970? (Enthusiast)]

If the scaling is true (wishful thinking), then the 6870 will be the most interesting part:

• Performance near or equal to a 5970 but on a single GPU die
  • Lower TDP than a 5970

Really depends on die size. The 6x series is showing that AMD is going to be a little less worrysome about die size but not that much. The 5970 is going to be a hard one to beat for any single card. Or get near for that matter.

It leaves room for a Godzilla on Steroids 6890 which in my opinion would be the king of the roost easily beating the 5970. However the die size will be so large that I doubt it will arrive until the very end of the line. Weeks after the 6550s Why? Because of the HUGE die size any yield issues consistent with any new card launch (Always have to adjust a few things here and there which is fine if you lose a few 6770 dies or smaller) Would slice into profits like a hot knife into butter as Nvidia found out.

AMD does not like large dies. It took until the VERY end of the 55nm era (Which had the 3870 till the 4890) Until they allowed a super large die ala 4890 to be fabbed.

I would say the high prices for the 6850 and 6870 are off but then I got to thinking. AMD is not going to be as concerned with those high launch prices as they are competing with the arch nemesis the GTX 460.

The 460 Is the market threat to them. They will focus on the 6770 prices to keep the 460 pinned down in the market and that might mean higher prices for the high end stuff in the meantime.

Not to worry tho. They will compensate in my opinion with vastly lower prices to clear out the old 5x gear. And while a 5850 will need more power than a 6770 it wont by too much to walk away from say getting a 2nd at 200 or less for Crossfire.

Also their focus is going to be getting the 6670 and lower out quickly as well. Because these look to be king for HTPC use. I REALLY want to know if the lowest end part can do Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing because that would make it the king of the kings.
If the performance is really truly equal to the 5850 or close to 5870 levels, the the 6770 will definitely be retailing around $250, maybe even a bit higher. Its not that much more than a 460 1GB (many of which retail right around 200, some at 230 or so) and offers a lot more performance

Also, they won't be be pushing the 6670 because of HTPC use. Thats a pretty small niche. They'll want their mainstream parts out there becuase those are the highest volume parts. Thats why the 6770 will be launching first

untils these cards are released no-one besides those under NDA know the truth ! Love all the guess work and rumours though.

The 6850 and 6870 will be monsters in the 200-400 range. The 69x series will be Godzilla with a fan.

When was the last time a top-end card like the 6870 been in the $400 range? 2003? Unless you mean $499 a year from now.

When was the last time a top-end card like the 6870 been in the $400 range? 2003? Unless you mean $499 a year from now.

When was the last time ATI priced a single GPU card above $400? 2003?

Seriously, launch prices of the last 4 generations:
5870: $380
4890: ~$250
4870: $300
3870: $219
2900XT: $400

The 6870 launching at $400 is completely reasonable.

That would be awesome if they opened up the backend that much. But something doesn't add up there unless they changed (lowered) the bitrate of each pathway. Probably a GPUz error, a 33% increase in bandwidth with a 50% increase in ROP, and 100% increase in buffer?

That would be awesome if they opened up the backend that much. But something doesn't add up there unless they changed (lowered) the bitrate of each pathway. Probably a GPUz error, a 33% increase in bandwidth with a 50% increase in ROP, and 100% increase in buffer?
well if you have 256bit bus you can only go from 1gb to 2gb for the next increase in vram.

Well the good news is that Cayman is going to be double of what Barts is.
So if Barts XT is 960 SP and 32 rops then... Cayman XT would be 1920 SP and 64 rops?! :eek:
Damn that would make for some sick performance.

BTW they talk about bumping up the numbers in the series but one thing doesn't make sense to me. If your flagship single chip card is called the 6970 what do you call the dual chip card? 6990 just doesn't sound like an impressive upgrade. Would you have to call the dual card the 7070?

Well the good news is that Cayman is going to be double of what Barts is.
So if Barts XT is 960 SP and 32 rops then... Cayman XT would be 1920 SP and 64 rops?! :eek:
Damn that would make for some sick performance.

BTW they talk about bumping up the numbers in the series but one thing doesn't make sense to me. If your flagship single chip card is called the 6970 what do you call the dual chip card? 6990 just doesn't sound like an impressive upgrade. Would you have to call the dual card the 7070?
good news from where? the vast majority of rumors say 1280 for the 6770 and 1920 for the 6870. that's not double. and not one single rumor I have seen has mentioned the 6870 getting 64rops. the renaming scheme may not even be true at all. if they actually end up calling the 5770 replacement a 6870 it would make an absolute shitstorm of confusion because the 5770 replacement does not appear to be faster than a 5870

Last edited:
My vote for flagship model number is 6969.

When you have dual chips, that number kind of makes sense.

the hint related to the memory size or the general performance increase?

the hint related to the memory size or the general performance increase?

I think its obvious enough for my statement.

I can't say much about it.
but the truth is... the rumors that people flame on will become reality, unless there is a last minute change at the end :(

but the truth is... the rumors that people flame on will become reality, unless there is a last minute change at the end :(
I am not too interested in these midrange cards...would you happen to have any info on the ones coming nov/dec-ish? The top end? Those are the ones I want to hear more about!

Let me guess, the 6870 will be Bart and not Cayman?

This thread needs to die....too much miss information being rehashed constantly.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20101001PD208.html

http://sites.amd.com/us/tfeevent/Pages/2010-agenda.aspx

More support for Oct ~ 19 or so. Notice 9:15-9:40 timeslot. If digitimes is correct and they're demoing at those expos then consumers may not be able to get their hands on the cards until a later time.

Edit: Debuted ~ Announce? != Launch. Might actually be consistent with Digitimes earlier post saying we won't get them until Nov? So long as we get some authentic benches to tie me over I'll be good lol.

Last edited:
Back