AMD 6400+ Heat problem?

zrikz

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm thinking I have a heat problem or potentially have something wrong in bios with voltages or something, no idea whats going on.

Just purchased an amd 6400+ X2 and the Zalman 9500 to cool it.

In newegg reviews everyone said they idle around 38-40ish and hit a max of 50ish under load with this processor and the Zalman cooler. Many with stock cooler said it was like 45 idle... I even have a window fan blowing air into the intakes and it lowers it a couple degrees.. looks like I can get to around 47 idle now, but meh still seems high.

I idle around 49-55 and get up to 67 under Everest stress testing.

I've taken off the Zalman and redone thermal paste twice now. First two times, I put a small dab in the center and let the cooler smoosh it across the CPU, then I put a very thin layer across the CPU by hand and all the results are the same.

If anyone has any suggestions please shoot them my way, or tell me if 66-68 under high load is "okay"

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Motherboard: Asus m2n-sli delux
Case: Antec P180 with all case fans running on high.
CPU: Am2 AMD 6400+ X2
Cooler: Zalman 9500 AM2

Just picked up everest so I don't really know how to do much in it, if you want some data from there tell me how to get the correct reports from it and I'll post it up.

/edit seems my idle temp is a little lower now with the third time redoing the paste / heatsink.. hover at 47, but still seems high to me. Just did a quick 1 minute 30 second "stability" test and I hit 65 C in no time.

Well I posted on another forum and someone pointed out that my vcore voltage was too high, so I lowered it to 1.35. Overall temps seemed to drop a little, I max out at 63 now under everest, but then again that could have been the cooler night weather as well.

I also updated my bios to see if that would help any and nothing so far has seemed to work.

Hey bro,

That's why I won't buy one. To much freaking power consumption and heat.

FYI...When your applying TIM, you should wear a powder free glove or put a bag on your hand as you don't want the oil from your fingers contaminating the Cpu & HeatSink surfaces. I don't think reapplying the TIM is going to noticably lower your temps though even if you did get *figer oil* on it.....lol.

The Zalman 9500 is nice but it's not a 9700. You gonna need some freaking serious air cooling if you want your temps lower but your within the thermal specs.

Peace

I would say those temps are fine with that cooler. That CPU is a power hungry beast and will develop alot of heat. I wouldn't trust the temps you have seen on newegg reviews as you also need more info on items other than CPU and CPU cooler such as ambient temp, Case type and fan layout as well as even how well they have arranged there wires so as not to block air to important items.
Someone with an Antec 1200 well laid out and with all the fans on High are going to get lower temps than someone with an HTPC with all fans on low with the same CPU, and cooler.

Well, after updating the bios and redoing the thermal paste my temps are a bit lower.. I used to Idle at 55C and max out at 68C

Before:
ouch.jpg

After
stabilitytest2.png

Checked out GRID and AoC while running on high for a while, Tabbed out quick and looked at the temps and I'm no longer going over 60 while gaming, so thats all I care about. Earlier while playing I could tab out and see 65-67 on occasion.

i have had no problem with mine whatsoever i ended up purchasing another cooling fan though so...

Back