Amd 64 3700

MAB

Weaksauce
Is the a64 3700 worth getting? I was thinkin of this or the 3400 1mb L2 cache because i wanted to pair it with the DFI 250gb lanparty. I was looking at the 939 series but I want the 1mb L2 cache. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

get a 939 board, they have much better upgradability. if you can, wait till after christmas and get an nf4 board with an agp slot (if they exist, or since you'll be saving money from not buying the 3700, get a pci-e videocard too)

The extra cache will not help performance much if at all. Go with socket 939

3700 2.4Ghz the "forgotten" cpu....
cpuid2950.jpg

Runnin' stable up to 2.96Ghz. Above that not stable(prooly b/c I ran with 2 memory sticks). The point is when Amd cut their '64 cpus price next time, 3700 will get the biggest cut b/c is socket 754 ;)

covertclocker said:
how much were you able to O/C it on air? or did you not even bother?
it was around 2.6G (223x12) with thermalright 948u and delta 92fan.

centvalny said:
it was around 2.6G (223x12) with thermalright 948u and delta 92fan.
i wish i had your skills...i suck dick at overclocking ...no serously give me 20 bucks and ill show you how much ( only gen may goers will get that)

dont want to be an annoying shit, but what are your system specs? I dont give a shit what anyone says, I would be happy with 2.6 and 1mb cache. :cool:

Epox 8kda3(w/ moded bios to 1.8V vcore) with 2x512 Gskill 1Gb LE memory. Microcool northpole NB heatsink and Enermax 660W psu.

thevampirelord66 said:
i wish i had your skills...i suck dick at overclocking ...no serously give me 20 bucks and ill show you how much ( only gen may goers will get that)
WTF......are you talkin' bout???

Its not the person that sucks at OCing, its the hardware that sucks at OCing. But if u suck then that is your business. Anyway, in your opinion centvalny, do you think the 3700 is worth it?

covertclocker said:
Its not the person that sucks at OCing, its the hardware that sucks at OCing. But if u suck then that is your business. Anyway, in your opinion centvalny, do you think the 3700 is worth it?
If you want to stick with socket 754 then 3700($475retail) is the highest you can get in term of cpu upgrade. Performance/oc wise is really good with highend cooling. Only a few upgrade paths for 3700 rig, video card or memory. So, if you want to toyally upgrade your system then amd 3500 winchester($250retail) + S939 mobo are the best value right now(imho). On the other hand, when I ran my 3700 with Vapochill LS + 6800U, I can play doom3 and HL2 with the highest video setting and 2.85Ghz Cpu with no problem. Also, always buy retail(new) cpu /no oem or used one.

MAB said:
Is the a64 3700 worth getting? I was thinkin of this or the 3400 1mb L2 cache because i wanted to pair it with the DFI 250gb lanparty. I was looking at the 939 series but I want the 1mb L2 cache. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
3700+ and 3400+ is like heaven and earth. While the 3400+ is just a slightly better 3200+, which makes it a stupid choice whatsoever, the 3700+ is different. It's a new breed of ClawHammers, similar to the FX53. It can attain clock speeds upwards for 2.8GHz on 1.75-1.8vcore; something that netiether 3200+, nor 3400+ can ever do. As for the 3200+/3400+; they are about the same in terms of overclocking potential.

I went with the 3700+ for the following reasons. Primarily my budget, I could afford a very "slow" Socket 939 CPU and "decent" Motherboard or the "fastest" Socket 754 CPU and a "great" Motherboard. I also know for certain, that I won't be able to afford upgrading for a helluva long time. And by the time I do, I'll probably need a new Motherboard anyway, like a Socket 950 with a Athlon 64 4800+. Oh, I probably would have needed new Memory as well, to go Dual-Channel. So, personally, I'm very happy with my System at the Moment. Of course the word moment amounts to about 14.9 days in the world of personal computers.

Perfomance of 3700+ is almost that of the FX-53 at a much cheaper price. $456.00 at ZipZoomFly for the best price.

honestjohn said:
I went with the 3700+ for the following reasons. Primarily my budget, I could afford a very "slow" Socket 939 CPU and "decent" Motherboard or the "fastest" Socket 754 CPU and a "great" Motherboard. I also know for certain, that I won't be able to afford upgrading for a helluva long time. And by the time I do, I'll probably need a new Motherboard anyway, like a Socket 950 with a Athlon 64 4800+. Oh, I probably would have needed new Memory as well, to go Dual-Channel. So, personally, I'm very happy with my System at the Moment. Of course the word moment amounts to about 14.9 days in the world of personal computers.

Perfomance of 3700+ is almost that of the FX-53 at a much cheaper price. $456.00 at ZipZoomFly for the best price.
You're absolutely right :D

except for the socket 950 bit. amd won't move away from 939 for a long time.. i mean look at how long they kept socket A around.. hehe, they're still selling chips for it this day, more than a year after the a64 came out.

well, dual cores are rumored to be moving to a 1200+ pin socket, aren't they? :)

Back