• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD 5450 HDMI audio issues

Exce

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
284
Hey guys, a little problem here.
Heres my setup:
OS: Win Vista 32 bit
CPU: AMD 6000+
HDD: Western Digital 1.5TB Green
GPU: Radeon 5450
PSU: 430 Watt Antec
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2
RAM: 3GB (german brand I have been using for years on this MB with no problem)

My problem is that this is a HTPC and I am going video/audio out of the 5350 via HDMI to a 720P tv and the audio jerks or stutters often when using the HDMI audio. Example, when running ANY video in VLC fullscreen(k-lite codec pack installed, I have tried CCC as well), the video plays fine but when i move the mouse and the navigation bar pops up at the bottom to control the video, the audio stutters like crazy. MPlayer classic has similar effects.

Now if I take the audio out of the motherboard rather than the HDMI, it works fine. I have installed the latest 10.4 drivers as well as the HDMI audio drivers from realteks site, any suggestions?

BTW: This is a fresh install of win vista.
 
let me guess, when you play a video through DXVA, everything is fine? but when you play the video through software decoding (ie: FFDSHOW, Flash) over HDMI, the sound stutters/pops/drops-out?

this is currently a big problem with ATI's HDMI drivers. powerplay is the culprit. AMD knows about it but they can't seem to get their act together to fix it. this was reported back @ 9.12 but now we're up to 10.4 and still no fix.
 
let me guess, when you play a video through DXVA, everything is fine? but when you play the video through software decoding (ie: FFDSHOW, Flash) over HDMI, the sound stutters/pops/drops-out?

this is currently a big problem with ATI's HDMI drivers. powerplay is the culprit. AMD knows about it but they can't seem to get their act together to fix it. this was reported back @ 9.12 but now we're up to 10.4 and still no fix.

Pretty much, however I have a 4870 that can do HDMI just fine, although it uses a DVI to HDMI adapter from ATI. I have heard about some of these issues but I figured there was some sort of work around, I guess I'll just use my motherboards onboard sound for output until a fix comes out.
 
let me guess, when you play a video through DXVA, everything is fine? but when you play the video through software decoding (ie: FFDSHOW, Flash) over HDMI, the sound stutters/pops/drops-out?

this is currently a big problem with ATI's HDMI drivers. powerplay is the culprit. AMD knows about it but they can't seem to get their act together to fix it. this was reported back @ 9.12 but now we're up to 10.4 and still no fix.

Yep, I am having this problem with the 5870, that's why I went back to my Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 card. I uninstalled the HDMI sound driver.

One solution you can try is lowering the sound properties format to 24-bit, 48000 Hz or even lower. That has worked for some people.
 
Cool thanks for the info, glad im not alone. I tried troubleshooting this thing for 2 weeks.
 
one thing i do as a temporary workaround when watching movies through my HD5870...

open up a dxva-compatible movie through MPC-HC (make sure it reports DXVA at the bottom) then pause the movie and minimize it.

this forces the video card into "dxva mode" and essentially shuts off the powerplay switching and locks your gpu clocks. now your HDMI sound should be fine.
 
One thing to try is to download the Realtek HDMI driver. It is supposed to be slightly more up to date then the ATI one.
 
One solution you can try is lowering the sound properties format to 24-bit, 48000 Hz or even lower. That has worked for some people.

This will work fine. Be sure to DL the latest driver from Realtek, too. Plus, if you're watching Blu Ray movies - set PowerDVD or WinDVD to bitstream.
 
Back
Top