AMD 4P CPU Configs

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
I have seen some people most that they have been able to mix different speed CPUs in a system. For example, 2 1.9GHz and 2 2.1GHz where all 4 CPUs will run at 1.9GHz. What about different amount of cores? For example (2) 8 cores and (2) 12 cores. Would that result in 40 cores or 32 cores? If that is possible to do that, what make/models support it. Uncle Sam was a little more generous this year( or I was more of a dumb ass for paying too much ) and I am going to switch my SM dual 5649s to a 4P setup. I am eyeing those eBay 8 cores for $149 each.

Get the SM H8QGL. It will allow you some tweaking options that the Tyan will not.

Get the SM H8QGL.

The main thing I do not like with the SM is the 3 8-pin connectors. I am having a bitch of a time trying to find a power supply with 3 of them. Can the board run with only 2?

Just get a nice PSU with a strong 12v rail. Then get 1 or 2 molex to EPS adaptors.

Problem solved and probably over $100 saved.

Just get a nice PSU with a strong 12v rail. Then get 1 or 2 molex to EPS adaptors.

Problem solved and probably over $100 saved.

+1 to this. I have 2 of the molex adaptors on my GL and have had zero issues. They are available at Newegg for around $5, so not a huge investment.

Populating JPW4 isn't required on Supermicro boards if you're not using any PCI-E cards == two EPS12V are fine in such configuration.

OK, I got ordered the SM H8QGL motherboard. I will be buy the 8 core CPU off eBay here tonight.

Which heatsink would be better? This are going to be a temp solution until I can watercool it.

Thermaltake CLS0017
FAN-CLS017.JPG

Dynatron A6
2BEUZqssok22apky_NZG_pvD3Fv-wjclicwDh5Bqb9CFUKTilyB6_CE1pYURrF4F9gCBH4wIz2DOm77WoOX3zknCPGsf5rDa1UnZ2roNMjG79o3zn7-h17Tc1F1wEgceVmvUJtcVP70aUUaD8FcMWXorPBKuRODEKwzj5BM5N_79

Skip WC and go with 212+

If you can't really OC it and a good mid range HSF is more than enough.... why bother with WC?

Skip WC and go with 212+

If you can't really OC it and a good mid range HSF is more than enough.... why bother with WC?

One part noise reduction as I have the truck radiator and fan( 19" box fan ) outside the window of my basement. The other part is pure bling-bling :D

They are still noisy tho. Just a heads up lol. Good luck with the build

Avoid CLS0017's I have some and they cover the first ram slot on a H8GQ6-f and had to be cut up to fit an H8QGL-6:(

Back