AMD 4800+ vs E6400 Core2

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
SO I work at best buy, and in my spare time I thought I would pit the two highest cost HP models we carry against one another. Both have 2G RAM (the E6400 hadDDR2) and the same graphics soln: a GeForce 7300LE (boo).
Keep in mind that the Core 2 Duo based machine is $200 more.

Ran Sysmark 06.

E6400: 482
4800+: 596

SO what does this mean?
The AMD scored better with slower RAM, $200 less, and -technically- a weaker CPU, but more importantly....

OEM HP's suck at gaming.
If only one of the ATI X1900XT's would fall out of the box....
Accidentally, of course. lolz :D :D

pssst over here!

Intel pays good money for the benchmarkes they have!!

Want to know ho many benchmarking companies Intel owns, and how many they finance?

s3rvb0t said:
yo man is it true you get crazy ass ATI discounts?

they get crazy ati discounts throught their accomodations programs where you have to order it outside of best buy. if they were to buy in best buy their discount would not be as good compared to the 'accomodations program'

Modred189 said:
SO I work at best buy, and in my spare time I thought I would pit the two highest cost HP models we carry against one another. Both have 2G RAM (the E6400 hadDDR2) and the same graphics soln: a GeForce 7300LE (boo).
Keep in mind that the Core 2 Duo based machine is $200 more.

Ran Sysmark 06.

E6400: 482
4800+: 596

SO what does this mean?
The AMD scored better with slower RAM, $200 less, and -technically- a weaker CPU, but more importantly....

OEM HP's suck at gaming.
If only one of the ATI X1900XT's would fall out of the box....
Accidentally, of course. lolz :D :D

The difference between a AMD and E model is only 200mhz 250mhz at best faster then a AMD in the real world. That will all change in october anyways.

You also have to realize that the E6400 is only running at 1.86GHz compared to the 2.4GHz of the X2 4800+. And just because it has DDR2 doesn't make it faster, as DDR2 can be slower than DDR that is at tight timings. There are a lot of variables, such as the hard drive performance, etc. Also, you never know what kind of BIOS settings were on or off... cheap motherboard maybe had a bottleneck, you really don't know.

Don't get me wrong the difference between an AMD and C2D CPU isn't huge, but in a properly built system it's very obvious which is more powerful.

I guess my issue wasn't so much the hadware as was the cost difference.
I forgot to mention we also cleaned up teh E6400 a bit, doing the geek squad cusomization on it, making it a little more efficient. I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but doing it on the AMD would only widen the difference.

Oh, and yea, the ati discount is major, same with creative. Like 50% I think (never used either so don't quote me)
I also get pretty good deals on the Velocity Micro stuff.

The m7580n (The 4400+ HP) is actually AM2 and uses DDR2. Also, it's just a 4400+ as opposed to 4800+.

Actually, it is 4800. The box and its ads all say the 44, but CPUZ says otherwise... as well as 939

duby229 said:
pssst over here!

Intel pays good money for the benchmarkes they have!!

Want to know ho many benchmarking companies Intel owns, and how many they finance?

Then why is it that the E6400 and 4800+ perform similar in real world tests and gaming benchmarks yet the 4800+ kills it in this synthetic benchmark? Does AMD finance Sysmark 06? Who cares how many benchmarking companies Intel owns or finances, the real world tests tell the story.

The E6300 is 1.86ghz. The E6400 IS 2.13ghz. I even have a E6400 as well. May do some tests of my own when I get a board for it. Just for testing cus its really just a stock item for our home business. But yeah I used a E6700 before. Not really any different at all if not any improvment at all agenst my AMD at the same speed.

They say the conroe was desined to bench. Id say AMD and Intel are equal now. I really can't see any difference.

I know, especially if it had been in the opposite direction, like if it said it had a 4600+ and actually had a 4400+. As is, people are excited to hear it, and it is kinda cool, but I agree with you, they could get into huge problems.

Here's the model btw: HP 7850n

The website does not list the Core 2 Duo though for some reason...
Methinks it is so the web-based orders do not conflict with the Velocity Micro systems.

Thin Man said:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s..._type=product_detail&product_code=EX332AA#ABA

I find it hard to believe that HP would make a mistake like that. That would be considered false advertising and could lead to a very large lawsuit.
HP makes MANY mistakes and so does Best Buy. There are plenty of typos on Best Buys site as well as HP/Compaqs. About a year ago Wal-Mart had a Compaq that said A64 3200 on the box and on the Compaq website but it actually had a XP 3200.

Back