• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

amd 3600 x2 overclocking

Top of this forum there is a detailed guide.
For a rough overclock though drop the ram by one divider to a speed slower than its rated. Drop the HTT to one multi lower than its rated. Push the HT up 10 - 1mhz (start with big steps then slow down for fine tuning) at a time then go into windows and stress test with dual prime or orthos set on small FTT. If it passes for 5 minutes or so raise it some more (while watching temps, dont go over 60 on cpu). If you get up high enough that your HT speed x the multi x 2 = more than 2000, then lower that another notch. Same for ram. If it gets higher than its rated speed drop the multi another notch (use CPUZ to tell you what speed its really running at). When you cant go anymore its time to raise the voltage a notch OR stop. Higher voltage = higher risk to you parts. 1.5 is the normaly accepted low risk ceiling for 90nm parts but that is DEFINITELY not set in stone, its all about how much risk you are willing to accept. Im not sure on 65nm ones if thats what you have.
When you get to your max its time to test it for longer periods of time. Test it until it fails or for 12 hours or so. If it fails drop it 1HT and repeat.

When all thats done and youve found your CPU max then you get to start tuning the ram for days ;) and after that the video card. have fun and dont roast any parts with high temps or high voltages.
PS. If shit goes bad, you can always reset the bios ;) and if windows gets corrupted go back to stock settings and run a repair install.
 
well i am stable at 2.4,but w/e i go to 2.6 with my ht multi at 4 times and the cpu freq at 275 which is as high as i can go it runs orthos fine for like 6 hours.I check cpuid and the watts are all jumping around and my cpu usage is like at 50 pecent and i barely have anything open.Am i doing something wrong how come it won't budge past 275 ht idk,tips maybe my bios is the stock one that came with my biostar board like 2-3 months ago.
 
well i am stable at 2.4,but w/e i go to 2.6 with my ht multi at 4 times and the cpu freq at 275 which is as high as i can go it runs orthos fine for like 6 hours.I check cpuid and the watts are all jumping around and my cpu usage is like at 50 pecent and i barely have anything open.Am i doing something wrong how come it won't budge past 275 ht idk,tips maybe my bios is the stock one that came with my biostar board like 2-3 months ago.

Could be limited by your bios. Freaky thing about those brisbane chips is the fact that you'll never really know your true temps.
 
I got my 3600+ to 2.9ghz. What I did was just try to get to the highest clock possible on the stock chipset volts except the cpu's. Then I just ran tests and made sure it was stable, then I raised the voltage and the mem to 2.1 volts and everything else up by .5 or something like that and got the highest. Then when when it started to go bad at 3ghz I just up'd the cpu voltage, had problems then tried a 400 ddr divider and still unstable so I backed off to 2.9 ghz and ddr 667 for the divider I think and it runs like a charm at 2.9ghz.

You really just have to find the sweet spot for your mobo and cpu. I think I was just pushing my cpu to the limits at 3ghz and so the most I can get out of it is at 2.9ghz which is good.

As for cpu voltage, I think it really depends on your motherboard and the cpu itself. Some go really high on stock volts and some need almost 1.55 volts to get it past 2.6ghz.
 
well i am stable at 2.4,but w/e i go to 2.6 with my ht multi at 4 times and the cpu freq at 275 which is as high as i can go it runs orthos fine for like 6 hours.I check cpuid and the watts are all jumping around and my cpu usage is like at 50 pecent and i barely have anything open.Am i doing something wrong how come it won't budge past 275 ht idk,tips maybe my bios is the stock one that came with my biostar board like 2-3 months ago.

275 is too much for 4x. At around 250 you need to switch to 3x. And like Aggr said, the board may not go any higher. Some boards though are weird. Mine for instance wont go all the way to 400HTT unless I set the HT multi to 1x, even though 2x should be fine.
 
when I get the time I'll go into my bios and write down all my settings. I have a biostar tforce4 am2 mobo so the bios should be about the same for yours. And yes, you need to use a 3x ht.
 
well i lowered it to 3x ht and at 275 with memory set to ddr400 latency in bios is 5-5-5-15,but i can't really figure out in my bios the voltage crap what is what voltage my bios is confusing especially for my first oc try.I have checked my stuff in cpu id the cpu freq is at 275 at a 9.5 clock multi,and my ht is at 3 times multi ddr voltage is 1.95 my temps i think are 38 celcius according to mobo and 29 according cpuid.its running pretty stable at 2.6
 
I came across this thread and decided that I'd share my x2 3600 overclock

cpuz2945ghzex4.png


AMD Athlon X2 3600+ on Biostar TForce 570SLI
2.945GHz, DDR2-667 @ 368MHz
 
These are nifty little chips that are super duper dirt cheap. Glad to see people still toying with them.
 
No matter what voltage I use, my X2 3600+ is somewhat stable at 2945 (310x9.5), runs perfetcly stable at 2850 (300x9.5) and 2833 (333x8.5). :D

Oddly enough 2997 (333x9) is actually a bit more stable than 3003 (315x9.5). A difference of a whole 6MHz!! :eek:

Also, does anyone know of an accurate way to measure temps on Brisbanes? I tried CoreTemp, but I don't think it's even accurate... CoreTemp always reports the second core as being 5-7C higher than the first core, which strangely enough, is the same as the chip die temp as reported in SpeedFan 4.34... :confused:
 
I'm slightly embarrassed to say I use the Asus AiBooster utility for monitoring temps, as well as OC'ing within the OS. I'm running a Brisbane 3600+ on an Asus M2N-E right now. This is my first shot at overclocking, and currently I'm at just under 3.1ghz at 1.45volts. But I don't think it's perfectly stable. Oh, and I've got some Corsair PC5400C4 memory running at 533mhz (real frequency @ 387 w/OC) and Cas5. I'll post a CPU-Z when I've hit the end of the road
 
I don't know guys, I dont think you need to be as scared of the HT speed as I am seeing here. Most Athlon X2's I have seen don't start getting angry until you get to 1,350Mhz, and alot of them don't truly start hating you until you get to 1,500Mhz. Mine has been running at 1,375Mhz for months, and it will run prime stable for 24 hours, which is as long as I feel bothering to test.

More on topic, I pretty much agree with Jakalwarrior. Lowering the RAM speed at least one speed and letting the overclock put it back to stock is a big key point to let the system clock higher. I would try putting your RAM speed down as low as it will go and set your voltage to 1.45 just to see how high your CPU will let you go before it won't post lol. I have a 4000+ which is not drastically higher on the ladder than a 3600+. I was able to get mine to post a bit over 3.4Ghz (325FSB) but it required way too much voltage for my liking.
 
Well, I've decided to call it a career (for now) for overclocking this chip. For my first experience, I'm quite happy taking it to 3.060ghz @ 340x9 The case that it's in just doesn't have enough cooling power to keep the temps decent if my window is closed. I was hoping to get it over 3.1ghz, but it wouldn't go more than a few minutes without an error popping up in Prime, and then when I upped the voltage (approaching 1.5) it started to get into random restarts. So it was stable at 1.475, and now i'm seeing how it does at 1.4625 for stability, and hopefully I'll be able to get it back down to 1.45, but we'll see.
 
I'm selling my rig and I brought my computer to my friend's house so he could look at it and I left and I came back and he said it just turned off while he was playing bioshock on it. When I picked it up he was playing with it in a room thats upstairs in his house and it was freaking hot (atleast 85ºF, my was overclocked in my room with temps around 65º to 75ºF :eek:) and I was like oh crap I have a good idea why its not working. So I go through a lot of troubleshooting and had to replace my motherboard because the chipset's fan was lamesauce and I guess the north bridge overheated and broke.

Anyways now I have the biostar A770 A2+ and its pretty nice and all but the highest voltage for my cpu in the bios is 1.35 volts!!!! wth! My 3600+ Brisbane is power hungry and needed 1.55 volts for my 2.9ghz overclock :(. Regardless, I still tried to get a high oc and I could boot into at 2.8ghz but it wasn't stable at all. Finnaly I booted in at 2.6 but when I would restart the computer I would have to reset the cmos to have it boot up. So after a few hours trying combinations of fsb and multipliers and other settings I have finnaly found a pretty good one at 8.5 x 295 = 2.5 Ghz. Which isn't too bad. I'm running orthos right now and its doing fine so far but I'm going to run small ffts for a while and make sure its really stable. Since this board is fairly new I think biostar should release another bios to fix the voltage adjustments with my proccessor. But anywho this pc will be gone by then. :\
 
That's an unfortunate story....The highest I think I ever set the voltage was 1.48xx, but my full load temps were sitting up around 60, so i was able to back it down to 1.45, and actually gained some stability. For what is really a budget board, the M2N-E performed admirably. My only complaint is that the ram voltage is capped at 1.95, would've been nice to have 2.1
 
yeah I'm just going to stick with my 2.5 ghz oc. So far with small ffts I finnaly stopped it after about 22 hours and no errors. Now I'll run blend for atleast 12 hours maybe longer but I'm sure this thing is as stable as a rock.

Anywho I guess now is the time of computer problems. After my old rig needed a new mobo now my new rig needs new memory. I noticed that my computer was off and so I turn it on and got a bsod and so I ran a memtest and sure enough it was the memory. So now I put in some old ddr2 800 2 x 512mb corsair ram I had just collecting dust and put it in my pc. Now going from 4 gigs to 1 gig is a big difference!

Well anyways. I'm sort of glad that my memory died because I'm going to just get a refund and buy some g.skill 1066 ram so I can overclock to 4.0ghz easier.
 
Back
Top