• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AMD 3500 @ 1.5 Vcore - too much?

nuggetz

n00b
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
54
Is this too much? Is there a hard limit documented? Got my rig to 2.5Ghz which is pretty good for me, but I'm wondering if my vcore setting is too much.. I'd hate to fry my cpu.
 
don't be so afraid. cpu's are very hard to fry. there are motherboard detections that make overclocking safe. if you go to high your motherboard won't boot or will restart the pc. but what i recommend is to stay below the 1.55V range. Anything above that isn't worth the extra MHz. what are your temps? I'm guessing if your a beginner and on air, try to keep it under 50C idle.
 
depends on wut cooling u have and the temperature during load. some people i've seen are upto 1.6V on their vcores.
 
Then you should be fine at 1.5V, and still have plenty of overhead for more voltage increases. I've had my 3200+ Venice over 1.6V for short stints of benchmarking, and it's never given me a problem (now over a year old, wow time for an upgrade :)).
 
Nah, the 3500+ will be fine at 1.5, I ran mine at 1.55 for awhile during the winter to hit 2.706GHz, but I'm not willing to keep it there in the summer :)
 
I've got a 3500+ Venice, and 2.55ghz at 1.45v is a good balance for me between volts and frequency - and I thought I had quite a bad chip.

Is 2.5ghz at 1.5v the max you can achieve?
 
I have mine at 1.55, then again, mine is a Newcastle that runs default at 1.5 so :p
 
matt00926 said:
I've ran my newcastle @ 1.6 it's no biggie
that's 130nm though.. 1.85v was all right for newcastles :p

if it's a winchester or venice.. 1.85v probably isn't wise ;)
 
I have a question much along the same lines but i have an Opteron.

I cant seem to get it to run a Prime95 Large FFT test stably without hanging unless i push it over 1.6V when running at 3Ghz

It will boot and run at idle stable at 1.59V but if i try to do anything labor intensive like a Prime95 or Super_PI test, then it gives me hardware failures or just locks up.

Any advice on what i should do other than raise my Vcore? right now to get it to 3Ghz i have my FSB at 273 and my Multiplier is at 11x.

I also noticed a huge jump in temps when i raised the Vcore to the 1.6 needed to boot stably, it jumps up to idle at 41C from its now idling temp at 2.8Ghz of 34C.
 
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
congrats. thanks for the waste of space.


LoL, for the scope of the internet or just the sheer size of this forum and he gets anal about a kilobyte or 2 of information
 
kill4killin said:
I have a question much along the same lines but i have an Opteron.

I cant seem to get it to run a Prime95 Large FFT test stably without hanging unless i push it over 1.6V when running at 3Ghz

It will boot and run at idle stable at 1.59V but if i try to do anything labor intensive like a Prime95 or Super_PI test, then it gives me hardware failures or just locks up.

Any advice on what i should do other than raise my Vcore? right now to get it to 3Ghz i have my FSB at 273 and my Multiplier is at 11x.

I also noticed a huge jump in temps when i raised the Vcore to the 1.6 needed to boot stably, it jumps up to idle at 41C from its now idling temp at 2.8Ghz of 34C.


SOunds like you have just hit the limit of your chip thats all.
 
some of are saying "too much"...."sheeeeeeeiiiit"

You aint OCing until 1.7 at least lol!! :)

Ur ok where you are at though on the serious side.

Have fun with it.
 
Ok, I got my chip up to 2.5GHZ with the following:

250
3x HT
10x Mult
1.4625 volts

I was fine for a while, did prime95 all night but today it's acting a little flakey.

What's the purpose of the 3x HT setting?

My bois says that I can only go up to 1.65 volts for vcore. How are people pushing more voltage? Is this based on the Mobo?
 
You should really have your specs for a sig, so people can help you. Might be cooling stoping the oc if you do not have adaquate air flow or if you have a not so good mobo, some motherboards crap out at 250ht. Why aren't you using a 11x multi? That would lower your ht. I would put it 3xldt, 133 mem divider, and 1.52vcore, and bump the vmem a lil and use clockgen to increase ht slowly in windows. Oh using 4 memory banks? or 2? That can really crap a oc.
 
If its acting weird after an overnight run on Prime95, then its probably that your Vcore is too low. Try upping it the next smallest increment, or if your mobo has the option to up it by a percentage, try to lower the Vcore and up the percentage. Somtimes thats better to get a smaller increment. If you cant up it just a little bit, because it sounds like it has JUUUUST to little voltage. Otherwise, your mobo is just holding you back. DFI makes good ones ::hinthint::
 
new to the boards but, just recently got a 3500+ and a used neo2 plat. been messing around with the OC and think i finally got it to where i want it. the only question i have is why in the bios does it list 1.5 or 1.525v as the cpu voltage but in cpuid it lists 1.4-1.45 (keeps bouncing). cpu is sitting at load in super pi at 50C unless the tmep monitor is wrong =p.

Finishes SuperPi 32m but fails Prime95 after 6min also. gives the Fatal Error: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Specs are:
3500+ venice @ 2.6ghz 260x10
MSI Neo2 Plat w/ Sideeffect's modded 1.D Beta1 bioes
OCZ 3200 Plat rev2 2x512 @ 260mhz 3-3-3-8 2T (i tried the same setup using 1T and it failed super pi before loop 2)
ATI x800xl agp 430/550
 
Back
Top