AMD 2800+ Barton running too hot!!

axess68

n00b
I was overclocking my CPU for the first time ever the other day and blew my garbage power supply. So, I went to the store and picked up a decent Antec PSU 500watt.

My Specs:
AMD 2800+ Barton Core - Socket A
ASUS A7N8X v2.0
Stock AMD Heatsink and Fan
nVidia 6600GT

Well, it's been hot here (my room is between 75-80f degrees usually when it's hot outside) and my CPU has been idling at 60-63c and going up to 69-70 during gaming (according to ASUS Probe). That seems VERY hot to me! When I replaced my Power Supply, I cleaned off my CPU (had whitish thermal paste plus parts of the greyish pad on the bottom of the heatsink). I cleaned the bottom of the heatsink completely and got some new thermal paste from a local tech in the area. The paste is grey. I'm sure it's not the best paste. It has no name on it and looks like it came with a cpu kit.

So, I applied the grey paste to the CPU die like it says on all the websites, and I also applied it to the bottom of the heatsink and buffed it in with a plastic bag over my fingers (like all the websites say). So, to make a long story short, I did everything correctly.

I also took the overclocking down to only a little bit over normal. So, my CPU is running at 2100mhz now instead of 2090mhz :rolleyes: Probe has it idling at 60 right now and it goes to 68-70 when gaming.

I ordered some Artic Silver paste along with a Heatsink + Fan that got great reviews on Newegg. They come in Monday. Think that will solve my problem somewhat? Is that greyish thermal paste lousy?

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

i don't think you applied the thermal past right.

put a small *small* amount on the CPU and let the heatsink spread it for you when you put it on.

when i say small i mean small, you only need a little bit like the size of a something very small * I can't think of anything to campare it to, when i show people for real i usually use a CRUMB of some food to show the amount you need*

also try leaving the side of your case OFF

No, seriously, I DID put the paste on the right way. I did it to the letter as it said on many websites. I smoothed it out perfectly. The Heatsink Fan was FULL of dust like you wouldn't believe. Absolutely chock-full of dustbunnies. So, I cleaned that out as well. Maybe the new heatsink/fan will solve the problem. Especially with the Arctic Silver paste that I've been hearing so much about.

I've heard that AMD stock heatsinks are not so great.

i don't care what the websites say on applying thermal paste i have done it to about 50 diffferent processors all the way from a AXP to an X2 and a couple of P4's tha best way is the way is mentioned.

There is NO need to put pase on the heatsink and the CPU and espically no need to spread it . I am speaking from experience, you most likey have TOOOOOO much thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink but hey don't take my word for it. what is the worst thing that could happen *it would still run way to HOT*

if it is a copper AMD heatsink it is not that bad, it should definatley run cooler that that.

It's aluminum with a copper circle in the center where the die goes. The one I have ordered should arrive Monday and will be totally copper.

The new one also has one of those thermal pads on the bottom. Should I remove the thermal pad when I go to install it and use the Arctic Silver exclusively on the CPU die only?

Also, I've been running ASUS Probe constantly. Since changing the way I have the grease, the CPU has been running at 59-61c idle and only gets to 67c while gaming with downloads going as well at the same time.

I have the side of the case open always. I have small deskfan blowing right onto the area of the motherboard where it is to help cool both the CPU and the 6600GT.

I will keep an eye on it over the weekend.

Good thing I just finished Half-Life 2!! Now I can concentrate on games for my Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and Dreamcast until Monday. :D Then, I can get back to Dungeon Siege II.

for reference my 2800xp OCed to 3200 is currently running at 38 idle via probe and tops out at 42 under load while gaming. im using a swiftech mcx-462 heatsink (about a 2 pound chunk of copper) and a vantec 92 mm tornado, and yea.. they named it correctly, it sounds like a tornado.

Asus probe is notoriously bad, along with pretty much every other temp monitoring system on any motherboard, but the A7N8X is especially incorrect. I remember when I had my Asus, it was extremely untrustworthy. I had a temp monitor on my old school digital doc which read 40c idle while making contact with the edge of the core where the asus probe on my old a7n8x was reading 55c. Get some form of temp monitoring hardware and see if it's really as bad as you think.

im guessin mine is reading right, cause i dont think im getting 25 degrees idle, but then who knows... lol

It could very well be reading too low also, I've had it do that to me. My chipset temp was usually far below what it was actually running at..it even ran sub ambient at times. The asus temp sensors are horrible on most A7N8X's as far as I know, or at least the three I've personally dealt with.

MD_Willington said:
They are fine for NORMAL specified operation...:rolleyes:

I got my 2200+ (1.8GHz) to 2.1GHz on one lmao, could have gone higher, but it was locked and I had shitty RAM.

I've a 2600+ Barton... and its not even overclocked... Runs 49-52 Idle... and about 55-58 hardcore gaming/encoding.

So I would say its NOT bad temps... But is is frying it to hell. If its a badass heatsink and fan then you should be alright.

Just make sure your case does not get to hot... Make sure you got plenty of fans there :p

Well the new Heatsink I am getting has lots of good reviews. So, I hope it's badass.

As it stands now, I can't even overclock to 2200mhz (it's stock is 2090mhz) without it overheating and shutting the system down. At 2100, it goes to 70 degrees while gaming - which is wayyy too hot.

So, I had to bring it back down to normal. I tried everything to get it to come down. I re-applied the grease, cleaned the dust out of my heatsink, etc. Hopefully the new one and the Arctic Silver will solve this!!
:(

Well, after cleaning out the heatsink and fan (which had families of dust bunnies!!) the running temps are: 55-56c @ Idle and 63-64c @ load. Not too bad, but I want it lower. Maybe the new heatsink and decent thermal paste will bring it lower.

I'm now running at 2200mhz with no problems so far. Nice to be running at the same speed as a 3200+!! :D

Those temps are WAY too high still. Try removing and replacing the heatsink/fan so it's perfectly even on all 4 sides :)

Back