AMD 2200/2400 B350 Bios update

I am going to be building a PC for my brother and a 2200 would be a good choice for him (standard office computer) based on price and b350 mobo prices. I know I'll need a bios update but the question I have is don't you already need a ryzen cpu and a gpu just to perform the bios update?

If that is the case I'd assume anyone wanting a Raven ridge APU will need to wait for 400 series boards? That also defeats a bit of the value as I'm sure 400 series boards will all be MSRP.

I'd opt for an i5-8400 but then he'd have to pay more for a Z370 board which he doesn't need.

I am going to be building a PC for my brother and a 2200 would be a good choice for him (standard office computer) based on price and b350 mobo prices. I know I'll need a bios update but the question I have is don't you already need a ryzen cpu and a gpu just to perform the bios update?

If that is the case I'd assume anyone wanting a Raven ridge APU will need to wait for 400 series boards? That also defeats a bit of the value as I'm sure 400 series boards will all be MSRP.

well eventually the boards would ship with the newest bios that would make it work out of the box assuming support for the apu

Why are you building a low-end PC?

Go buy a Dell. Seriously.

So I don't get shit PSU, shit RAM, etc. Go look at a basic Inspiron desktop and you can still build it cheaper with better parts.

Also the question was is there a way to use a b350 mobo with Raven Ridge and by extension the Ryzen + coming up without needing an existing Ryzen processor? Pretty sure I didn't ask about buying an off the shelf unit. Some people just need a desktop to run a small business so if you have an informed answer to the question asked feel free to provide it otherwise.....

I thought I read somewhere that the boards with the required bios update will have a sticker on them letting you know they are ready for the APUs.
The problem is that this type of thing won't work so well if you want to buy online.

And by the time those updated boards hit they will be phased out anyway due to the 400 series. If you dont already have a ryzen chip or if you dont have a friend that would let you borrow to flash yours to the newest i would just hold off at this point for the 400 series

So I don't get shit PSU, shit RAM, etc. Go look at a basic Inspiron desktop and you can still build it cheaper with better parts.

Due to RAM price inflation I would question this at the moment. The $185 kit of 2x16 G-Skill Samsung 3200 I bought at the Ryzen launch is now $415.

I don't really buy this. I'd hit up Dell's outlet in a heartbeat if I just needed a machine to do desktop crap. There's really no reason to spend more, and the parts are good enough for Dell to warranty.

Back