AMC Apologizes For That Whole Texting In Theaters Thing

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMC is like "you know that thing we said about texting in theaters? JUST KIDDING!" Heh, I'm sure this was quite the learning lesson for AMC Entertainment’s brand new CEO. Putting your foot in your mouth first day on the job has to be embarrassing. I've embedded the apology letter below for those of you that can't do the Twitter thing at work / school.

Hmm... you know as stupid as the idea of texting in theaters is (and it is really stupid) when did we get to a point in society where everyone has to apologize for every f#$% thing they do? the guy had a really stupid idea and said it out loud. That's is nothing else he didn't run over our dogs or insult our mothers, so I just don't see where an apology is merited. Seriously when did this country get so whinny and emotional.

There was nothing to apologize for. It's challenging to balance the evolving use of technology and media consumption. It was commendable that AMC was willing to consider options are air those possibilities out.

The real problem with this idea is that the inconsiderate and self-centered individuals who text and talk in movies do not see themselves as inconsiderate and self-centered. They are also unlikely to self-select themselves into a group for a specific showing of a movie at a specific time. I believe they are more likely to believe that they will not be texting or talking ahead of time, but make a few "exceptions" during the film.

This would only work if the entire movie viewing experience were shifted to a more social setting, like standing around bar tables with the movie in the background. As long as the auditorium is stadium style seating, it is not really conducive to any experience other than quietly watching the film.

Hmm... you know as stupid as the idea of texting in theaters is (and it is really stupid) when did we get to a point in society where everyone has to apologize for every f#$% thing they do? the guy had a really stupid idea and said it out loud. That's is nothing else he didn't run over our dogs or insult our mothers, so I just don't see where an apology is merited. Seriously when did this country get so whinny and emotional.

I agree. We seem to live in constant fear of this outrage culture. It's tiresome and distracts from real issues.

Well AMC can't enforce no texting like Alamo Drafthouse can because you won't ever see an AMC employee in the auditorium after it has been cleaned from the previous showing, whereas Drafthouse has employees in the auditorium almost non stop. You think AMC is going to do that? Nope, that costs money & in the not to distant future that means a minimum of $15 an hour in California. So policing every movie in a 16 screen complex with say 6 showings a day comes out to $2,880 a day. That's why AMC doesn't do it and probably never will do it.

The real problem with this idea is that the inconsiderate and self-centered individuals who text and talk in movies do not see themselves as inconsiderate and self-centered. They are also unlikely to self-select themselves into a group for a specific showing of a movie at a specific time. I believe they are more likely to believe that they will not be texting or talking ahead of time, but make a few "exceptions" during the film.

You're right, the only way it would work would be to literally force them and what theatre chain would want to do that? I didn't really have to worry anyway, seeing as AMC already pulled out of Canada. Their theatres here were terrible, always sticky and the popcorn always tasted stale.

AMC is stupid expensive. Like, I find it offensive how expensive it is. Regal is another chain that comes close to how expensive it is. At least, they have ushers come in to the theater two/three times during a screening to do a cell phone sweep.

They could start with less sticky floors (Not a huge problem, this seems to be theater specific rather than every theater I've ever been to) Ways to keep peoples shoes out of my hair when they put their foot up on the back of my seat, and more leg room so that when someone gets up to go take a piss they don't walk on top of me.

I don't mind the price of snacks because I can go 2 hours without a snack...and sometimes without a drink. If ticket prices are too much I just go to another theater, but my above complaints are why I very RARELY go to a theater. I saw Star Wars in a theater, the lost move I saw in a theater before that was Hunger Games 2. Thats how rare it is for me to go.

I work & manage a bunch of millenialls. Everyone one of them said they thought texting while watching a movie was a bad idea. Now, if I could just convince them that texting while working is a problem, I'd be set.

He's the CEO of a publicly traded company. He had an idea that the public didn't like and they let him know it. As a result he admitted it wasn't a great idea and let the public know they'd been heard. How would you have preferred he handle it?

The AMC theaters around me appear to all be converting to the recliner and reserved seating model. Definitely helps on the "packed sardine" feeling like when I go to the local Cinemark. However.. I still prefer the Alamo Drafthouse model, thought I haven't actually been to an Alamo. Planning on going to the Star Cinema Grill tonight with the family to watch The Jungle Book.

He's the CEO of a publicly traded company. He had an idea that the public didn't like and they let him know it. As a result he admitted it wasn't a great idea and let the public know they'd been heard. How would you have preferred he handle it?
Personally.. I kinda liked it better when the public didn't have an immediate voice. Unfortunately, the Internet and social media have let that cat out of the bag and it will never be put back. It's too easy for the average knuckle-dragger to launch Facebook, Twitter, blog, whatever campaigns against other people and companies for even the smallest things (though, this idea was pretty dumb on AMC's part).

Personally.. I kinda liked it better when the public didn't have an immediate voice. Unfortunately, the Internet and social media have let that cat out of the bag and it will never be put back. It's too easy for the average knuckle-dragger to launch Facebook, Twitter, blog, whatever campaigns against other people and companies for even the smallest things (though, this idea was pretty dumb on AMC's part).

It's a double edge sword, but it gives power to the consumer in a way that was consider impossible 50 years ago. It can change company policies.

I work & manage a bunch of millenialls. Everyone one of them said they thought texting while watching a movie was a bad idea. Now, if I could just convince them that texting while working is a problem, I'd be set.

Lol, people seem to like to do other things than work these days. I see it all day in the corporate environment I work at. Smartphones, personal e-mail, leaving work early. No one seems to care about actually working.

IMO If you get caught texting/checking phone (Except if it's an actual emergency) you should be thrown out and banned from the theater, at least for a year or time enough to think about your actions.

Movie too boring and you don't like it so you want to check messages? Get out of your seat and go into the lobby, it's not hard.

I'd rather have someone texting than someone bringing their offspring into the theater. Children are meant to be left at the end of a condom, belly, back or sheets.

I think the apology there exists solely as pretext for the opportunity to tell people they are changing their minds based on public opinion of the last plan. Executive asshole apologizes for being an asshole spreads farther than AMC changes plans to be less stupid.

Back