Ambition in a pyramid

ASTROdog

n00b
(Dredded I'm new here post)

I'll skip the above lol.

Well once my wallet can bear it, I'm going to start working on a new case, this time using plexy in partial. The base is going to be either metal or black plexy (probably the first, I'm decent working with metal) and the top is going to be smoked plexy. It's gonna be a huge PITA but if I don't challenge myself I won't bother, its that whole brain damage thing.

sketch1.jpg

It's going to be a thermal nightmare unless I lay it out right but I think I've got it licked, just some careful ducting and placement should work just fine. Its going to have to be fairly deep but I've got the space for it. Got some color changing LED clusters too that will tuck away and shine on the board. What I origionally had planned was to line this with some stuff that my friend @ 3M said they were working on, too bad it never did in fact work right. Was a film you could lay on that would nearly-instantly go clear when a bright light passed through it. Not sure of the mechanics as he wouldn't get into the specifics. Moot point now as last I heard it was dead, but oh well, smoked plexy and bright internal lights should do it.

Here was the rejected alternate idea:
sketch2.jpg

I didn't like the way the PS would have breathed, airflow would have sucked. Would have looked great though.

Any opinions/warnings/insults?

If anyone's interested, here's some other stuff I've messed with.

http://www.fuckedforums.com/forumwhore/computers/index.html

first off, fix the link u put in ;)

it should look like this

Next, I think this is a badass idea, you may want to look at this case mod to get ideas on how to do the tint / lighting that you want.

Other than that, all I can say is good luck and post pics as you do it / when its done :D

holy quick reply batman!

lol, yeah i fixed that before i read your post. my bad.

ooooh.... window tint film, never thought of that. I wonder if I could pull off mirror? Thank you for the link, bookmarked.

unless you overclock it, then you really dont need to give the airflow much thought, as long as its not sealed or anything. You dont need any spiffy ducts or anything.

The optical drives and hdd(s) are going to be right underneath the mainboard, tis my concern. Hence the fan right on them, going to run an odd shaped curve around the drives and try to have it exit at the back. If I'm carefull about my power supply placement (put it far enough back) I shouldn't have to deal with the heat from that either. The big solution that I'm chewing on is to make the two sections airtight from eachother with some foam to seal the cable holes and put fans at the front of the case, but I'm still not liking that. Optimally things would all come in from the side and the top section would be fed from a side fan ducted to blow up into the top section and fan out, but thats going to take some fan muscle to go that hard. Still bouncing ideas around, got plenty of time left tho for other people to throw ideas/insults at me as well as mess w/ mockups, I just don't want to make mistakes like I did with the twin desktop case in the link in the first post. I'm even humoring making a practice case for my current setup.

i like the top idea...the pyramid thing...tis be neato

It looks like something out of an episode of Star Trek TNG ;)

I agree that cooling might become a problem, but there are some ways around it:

- like you suggested, ducts. If you run ducts from the outside to the HSF and any other fans, and use (plexiglas?) ducts running over the corners where the sides of the plexiglas meet, so that air is sucked away from the top of the pyramid (heat rises), it might look quite good and work pretty good as well;

- watercooling ;)

great idea.. but be warned.. with a desktop like setup you will lots more dust to deal with on your motherboard.

post more pics as you go...

If you look at the link I put up you'll see my twin desktop case setup. Ran filters on that and didn't have an accumulation problem. Either way I have an air compressor I can use to get rid of the dust.

Wow. Thats a sw33t idea, I wish I had thought of it. When I first saw "Pyramid" in the subject, I though it was going to be pointy at the top, but when I saw your drawings I realized that the flat top would look even cooler! And I would have to agree, though I don't know much about it, that you might want to watercool it. Maybe put the radiator on the other side of the base that the optical drives are on.

Hmm... Dunno. You might want to ask in the cooling/overclocking forum, or price em out on a store like directron or xoxide.

Back