Ambient Music Sound System

I'm sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this, but I've come to trust you guys.

I'm in the market for a sound system. However, this isn't a private sound system, and it won't be used for intense gaming (...I wish). It's for a restaurant-esque establishment. The thing is, everyone is like, "We should get a Bose! Bose is the best!" I've heard so much crap about Bose being overpriced and overrated, so I can't exactly back that course of action.

So, the question: What sound system should I get? What companies should I consider?

The music being played on these speakers will be cheesy classical and lounge music. It'll be pretty low and ambient. I need an amp too. A package is, of course, preferred, but I'm willing to consider individual pieces. Edit: The room this is going in is around 2,300sqft.

Also, they're talking about just using a cheap CD player to plug into the amp. Will that affect the sound?

Thanks

If it aint got high and it aint got lows it must be BOSE. I got a bose system that came with my car and I'm pretty happy but I would not shell out for a non car audio system made by BOSE, you can do sooo much more for the $$. How big is the restaurant? I would start with a nice Denon, or Onkyo receiver, why? They have built in amps that gives you quality at higher volumes. Subwoofer is a bit outta the question since im guessing its a pretty decent sized place you wouldnt need a sub. I would get some ceiling speakers if you have that white cardboard type of ceeling or if you have a normal ceiling get some satelites. You could save some trouble and buy the onkyo S790 or the new Onkyo HT-S990THX wich is the new model next up fully thx certified (THX means jack these days). I wouldn't go too nuts, my advice is somehow keep the receiver out of view of any costumer, because they are some bad ppl out there and the second they know where the goods are theyr gonna break the window and steal the receiver.

Depends on budget.

Although the bose setups may work, I agree that there are better for the price.

Also, since this is for quite ambient music, sound quality really won't be "much" of a concern. Almost anything will do "ok".

The main things you should first be looking into is size and color. How visible do you want these to be, where will they be put, should they match the paint scheme or can they stand out, etc.

Concealing wires should also be taken into account early on. Still though, you can buy bulk speaker wire for cheap, you can get a few (depending on how many you want) speakers for cheap, and your basic run of the mill receiver. Then just hook up the source(s) to the receiver and you should be all set.

Since you want cheesy classical (not to be confused with pepperoni classical) music, you will not want to look into a speaker that does bass good. Focus on finding speakers that do the midrange and treble justice. Not sure what your target audience is, but when you hear nothing but bass from a cheap speaker you risk annoying the heck out of them.

Back