AmazonFresh Rolls Out Mandatory $299/Year “Prime Fresh” Grocery Membership

Even at 30 minutes driving, shopping, and paying per month, it still works out cheaper to pay Amazon $300 per year if you make anything more than $20 bucks per hour.

Nope, still wouldn't pay and I make north of $25. That $300 could go towards a new GPU or something. I live in Miami and it takes a 10 minute drive and about 2 hours to get groceries monthly and only a 30 minute trip weekly for fresh things like milk and deli meats. This service seems aimed at the super lazy or super rich.

Nope, still wouldn't pay and I make north of $25. That $300 could go towards a new GPU or something. I live in Miami and it takes a 10 minute drive and about 2 hours to get groceries monthly and only a 30 minute trip weekly for fresh things like milk and deli meats. This service seems aimed at the super lazy or super rich.

In the end its going to come down to how much you value your free time vs shelling out $300/year.

For example if you value your free time at $25/hour and assuming you only went 1 hour each month it essentially would pay for itself and that isn't even figuring for things such as gas, wear and tear on your vehicle etc.

Theres definitely a market for this. I'm with you as I wouldn't pay for it either but I think its a smart move by amazon and a pretty cool innovation, whether they make money on it or not is another story...

How does this work out compared to Peapod or the other delivery services run by the grocery stores themselves?

As far as I can tell, this is a very niche (& small) market (maybe elderly, infirm, house bound or extremely lazy) so not sure if this is a market segment even worth addressing from a business perspective.

I understand that feeling, but if this was available near me, I would be all over it..

$300.00 a year and I dont have to deal with the inconsiderate fucks at the local grocery store who always want to run me over with their cart as their snot nosed kids knock all the food off the bottom 3 shelves....
That's reaching wizard levels of anti-social seclusion, Harry.

Besides, my grocery store has a TON of ridiculously hot chicks that like to bend over their shopping carts aimlessly wandering while yacking on their phones. A nice little bit of eye candy while squeezing your melons for freshness.

Besides, my grocery store has a TON of ridiculously hot chicks that like to bend over their shopping carts aimlessly wandering while yacking on their phones. A nice little bit of eye candy while squeezing your melons for freshness.

Hmm, so there are antisocial wizards and staring perverts at the grocery store? Damn right I am going to go the amazon route now lol.

As someone who tried both the tiered Cali prime membership and along with a month of free prime fresh, their asking price is to much for what is being offered.
BTW they dumped the Ca Fresh min $50+ with a shpping fee, that went away right before Sept.
I am a single dad of two kids with very little free time , so delivery services like what Amazon is trying to get into is a nice thing for me.
Amazon's Fresh seemed more like a corner convenience store than an actual grocery store ...selection / variety of goods and produce was lacking / slim. So choices on what you can get was limited very limited. If you wanted to order meat good luck with getting a simple T-bone or Ribeye in most cases you might find ground beef or chuck roast... on a good day might have 3-5 items when browsing meats like beef, pork & chicken same with lamb and seafood / fish. Their produce was about the same. Same with non perishable items which you can use Amazon's Pantry service tied to prime and getting a better deal and selections.
The quality was in the middle for produce , not so good in the meat and seafood... using Fresh was underwhelming so $300 for the service is to much.
I found myself just going back to using Safe.com's online service and also Goodeggs.com if I have to do it all manually then I wind up loading up on everything at the local Saturday farmer's market and butcher shop...

If not wanting to spend time with a bunch of mouth breathers and loud kids makes me anti social, then that's what I am.

And at my store, I have their grandmothers bending over showing off their depends...:eek:

I've been a member of AmazonFresh when I first started in the LA area and love it and about the meat selection I'm very happy with all the different company's selections of meat to choose from and haven't been to a supermarket since joining.

I tried it when it first came to LA. I agree that, for me, it would be worth the $300 to save the hassle.

HOWEVER, that is not a fair estimate of what it costs. At least in LA, the pricing of the groceries themselves were also significantly higher than where I typically buy produce. Essentially everything is Whole Foods-priced.... which is fine for certain things (e.g., I don't mind paying more for quality meat), but it's a big price difference when you're talking about 100% of your groceries.

That was the big reason I dropped it.(another was the selection was rather limited, at least at the time).

tl;dr the cost is more than just the $300 entry fee

This. I'd rather just buy my groceries in-store, which I do every 15 days.

I bought a 6 pack of peanut M&M's from Amazon once and it had a weird taste to it...like they kept it locked up in a dingy warehouse

The big problem with WalMart is the product variability.
Each store's actual product volume for some items is fairly low compared to local supermarkets out here.
Their selection is less broad.
Their store layouts aren't consistent.
And there's times when you can only find certain products at certain locations (which, for WalMart, IS FUCKING NUTS).
Last year, I tried hitting two different local WalMarts for 2 liter bottles of Coca Cola (not an odd product to buy) every couple days for 8 weeks. Both locations were CONSTANTLY sold out (no more product in the back either).

Store layouts are different for every supermarket. I don't care if you shop at Walmart, Kroger or Albertsons, if you change stores, everything is in a different spot.

I've ever had a problem finding items like Coke at Walmart. For me, I could shop at any of them and mostly find what I want, but Kroger is 5 mintues from here (2 miles?), so it wins. Those gas points rock too (especially now that gas is cheap).

In the end, I suspect it depends on where you live. The Walmarts I went to in the last few years were mostly well maintained and had good produce at very good prices, but I could go to Kroger too. If I went to Walmart, I'd get a bunch of stuff at once so I didn't have to go back ('cause kroger was less than a mile from me at that time)

I work 10 to 12 hr days, cooking mainly, and ordering thousands in food for the kitchen I run. If I didn't already have Sysco and GFS bringing me my groceries I'd totally go for this!

I live 4 minutes from my grocery store so this would not be for me. If I just need a few things I go after work at 0700. If we need a lot of crap I'll bring my son with me, he enjoys running me over with the little "shopper in training" carts and we generally have a fun time. I would pay $300/year to have a chekout lane that only I could use though.

I work 10 to 12 hr days, cooking mainly, and ordering thousands in food for the kitchen I run. If I didn't already have Sysco and GFS bringing me my groceries I'd totally go for this!

I don't think this was made for businesses in mind since it gets groceries from regular consumer chains and not bulk like Costco, Sams Club etc..

I cannot stand going to the grocery store. Overcrowded, parking is terrible, pain in the ass to find everything you want, then you get to spend 20 minutes just checking out while every line is backed up 5 people deep - and this is at a higher priced store that weeds out a lot of the congestion that you would see at a nightmare zone like Walmart.

If this service had everything I needed and serviced my area, I would 100% use it. $300 a year is pennies to not have to deal with the local shitshows.

Back