Become a Patron!

Amazon Working on New Standalone Messaging App Called “Anytime”

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The popularity of messaging apps has compelled Amazon to develop one of their own: images allude to a new service dubbed “Anytime,” which will allow users to reach their friends without phone numbers and send encrypted messages. Chatting will also work seamlessly across desktop, iPhone, and Android devices. Unfortunately, there is no indication of when it may launch.

Amazon has begun surveying customers about a new messaging service to gauge which features are most important to users. It’s unclear how far along the new service is, but one customer said the survey seemed to imply it was a ready product. Anytime by Amazon seems to be an all-in-one feature rich service that could even rival social networks. The focus seems to be messaging, including voice and video calls, but there’s also mention of photo sharing with @mentions, as well as filters for photos and video with “special effects and masks.” Anytime will also provide tasks that can be done in groups, like playing games, listening to music, and ordering food.

2. MrWrong

MrWrong [H]ard|Gawd

What is with the trend of all these messaging apps that require an internet connection to use? I would rather just send a text message since I don't have unlimited data.

3. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 Limp Gawd

Its not really a trend. Texting and messaging are separate things. One is an SMS sent through the carriers network phone to phone. The other is sent through the Internet account to account. Like skype or steam messaging.

I wouldn't see much purpose to an app that sends SMS really as opposed to just using what's built into the phone. Also the amount of data used is pretty small, in 19 months of daily use my phone has tracked 3GB of cellular date through iMessage. 162MB a month by my math.

4. Spidey329

Spidey329 [H]ardness Supreme

It's a superior system than SMS if everyone has it. The issue is that there's a massive fragmentation outside of the Apple eco-system. They've got a designed in app locked into their closed model. Android doesn't, and it's been so long that the few times they've tried hasn't seen much traction because they don't fix annoying issues or many of the userbase is using something else. Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, What's App, Snapchat, and so fourth. So annoying.

Kinda like back when there was a ton of IM apps. The one saving grace was the app that came out that relayed to all of them, so you didn't need ICQ / AIM / Yahoo / Live / etc, you just needed that app. Now, these newer services tend to have closed API's, so no app has come to be a universal one.

5. Eulogy

Eulogy 2[H]4U

Sooooooo it's a Slack competitor.

6. TechLarry

TechLarry Pick your own.....you deserve it.

7. Nanogrip

Nanogrip Limp Gawd

Here where I live, SMS text uses USD $0.06 per sending. So for us, using our 3G data, message apps gives us a way to communicate with walls of text messages without paying up a lot. 3G data over here, is 1 dollar per MB, upload/download...

8. Exavior

Exavior [H]ardForum Junkie

Part of the trend was due to international people talking. That is where things like WhatsApp started to take off as it allowed people in places all over to message each other without paying international fees to message another country.

Snapchat took off for other reasons.

No idea where this one is coming from or why people would want to use it. Over the past few years we have actually made it harder and worse to communicate with each other.

9. rudy

rudy [H]ardness Supreme

The problem with the USA is we have the LEAST rhobust user installment. There are already many messaging applications. But iPhone users ONLY use imessage, android users use a mix of whatever. And half the people only use facebook. If you go to Asia, EVERYONE uses line, which makes it universal. And if you go to Europe EVERYONE uses WhatsApp.

What is funny to me is how horribly I guessed wrong about how things would go. Way back in the day when IRC was something people used, and I saw ICQ I was like hmmm, something like this could take over and become the only way we communicate. 1 universal communication API that covers file transfers, messaging, voip etc and everyone builds clients for it just like email... Nearly 20 years later and we are still playing flavor of the month messaging application. Everyone gets their run at fame but nothing becomes universal. And the worst part is at least back then we had pretty good universal clients like GAIM or Trillian for those of us who wanted it all in one place. What gives with Americans? I am sure others can add to this list but lets just look at it.....

IRC, ICQ, AIM, Microsoft, Jabber, Skype, Google chat, Hangouts, Facebook, Xfire, Steam, Line, WhatsApp, Allo, Google Messaging, Every carriers own messaging.

No interoperability. And tons of cases where any one of these players could have owned the market for ever but their own greed, or short sighted leadership screwed it up.
    Personally I think that this is a place where the government should step in. create a standard, an open standard that everyone can support.

Look at how horribly long it took the phone carriers to realize that something like RCS had to be made or they would completely lose the market if they have not already. And even then look at how slow they move on it. And we all know they wont be smart enough to make desktop / laptop clients etc....

After 20 years we are pretty much nowhere in the world of communication. the only mostly universal system we have is still basic email.

Will amazon have any better luck? Nope because apple and google aren't going to let them do anything that would move people off of those services easily. What device or user base will an amazon messenger be default on so your average iPhone user who never changes the default anything will use it?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  10. rudy

rudy [H]ardness Supreme

Messaging data, is NOTHING it is the absolute smallest network traffic activity you do, nothing is smaller, audio takes way more bandwidth and so do images (websites etc), and video blows it all away. The trend started because phone companies were charging a lot of money for these basic text messages that cost them the least amount of money to service. So messaging apps figured out as it was true that it was actually cheaper to send the same information and a lot more over the internet if someone had a data plan. You just happen to have an unlimited texting plan is my guess so you don't think about it at all. Ultimately the phone companies shot themselves in the foot because they have essentially lost control of messaging by over charging for the easiest cheapest service to deliver.