Amazon Updates Fire TV’s YouTube App to Redirect Users to a Web Browser Instead

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The animosity between Amazon and Google is heating up again, as the YouTube app has been modified so Fire TV users can’t get their usual experience. Google suggested that this wouldn’t happen until the new year, but I guess someone thought it’d be harder hitting during the holidays.

Google hasn’t been happy about Amazon’s anti-competitive nature when it comes to allowing rivals to sell their own hardware items – like smart speakers and media players – on Amazon.com. The retailer has long refused to stock devices that competed with its own, including Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Home, and others in an effort to promote its products like the Echo and Fire TV.

Last edited:
Oh, Google's disruption goes much further than than. They've messed up the API so bad, our captioning services have quit working. We had customers who paid for our captioning for their videos after they'd uploaded them to Youtube, and we would just add them on. Now, they have to give us the videos through FTP, and we add the captions and recode them to a format that allows for captions, then they download the completed video back through FTP. It causes three times as much traffic on the internet, and takes much longer to get the videos onto Youtube.

I was hoping Google would lighten up on them because Amazon did agree to put their devices on their marketplace.

I hope like hell Amazon tells Google to put it where the Sun don't shine. It is about time someone stood up to those asshats.

Oh, Google's disruption goes much further than than. They've messed up the API so bad, our captioning services have quit working. We had customers who paid for our captioning for their videos after they'd uploaded them to Youtube, and we would just add them on. Now, they have to give us the videos through FTP, and we add the captions and recode them to a format that allows for captions, then they download the completed video back through FTP. It causes three times as much traffic on the internet, and takes much longer to get the videos onto Youtube.

What does this have to do with the article? Are you Amazon?

This is where I say HAH! This is why I use a console as my streaming device. Streams more than just the few "apps" Google, Apple or Amazon allow, is a Blu-ray player, is a Game console and usually isn't subject to their dick waving contests for silly things like YT.

What does this have to do with the article? Are you Amazon?

The article claims the changes in the API were specific to Amazon and their Youtube app. I'm showing that the changes to the API have disrupted more than just Amazon, and they go back further than they're stating. The writer of this article is being dishonest about it.

Haha, these pissing matches are so petty! Why can't these mega-corporations just set aside their problems and focus on making money instead of trying to control their interests. Afterall, Amazon makes money off of Google's sales and Google makes money off of Amazon's use of Youtube. Who makes more, I don't know.

Lawsuits coming on line in 4, 3, 2.... Disabling people's hardware or interfering with its function by distributing malware via a computer network is a computer crime in the US. Customers should report both companies to the FBI and appropriate state law enforcement agency.

Turned on my Firestick last night, went to the Youtube App to watch, was redirected to the Firefox Browser, one click & I was watching YouTube like normal, worked pretty seamless. Bravo to Amazon for giving the finger to Google.

Google is just begging for an antitrust action with this kind of behavior, best to stay under the radar and STFU while taking home your billions.

Google is just begging for an antitrust action with this kind of behavior, best to stay under the radar and STFU while taking home your billions.

What kind of behavior? Google never even made the YouTube app for FireTV, Amazon made it. All Google was planning to do was disable the app from accessing its content.

Haha, these pissing matches are so petty! Why can't these mega-corporations just set aside their problems and focus on making money instead of trying to control their interests. Afterall, Amazon makes money off of Google's sales and Google makes money off of Amazon's use of Youtube. Who makes more, I don't know.

Controlling their interests is how the make money, making money in their eyes is 'maximizing profit', not sharing profit. lol, you have a strange communist view of capitalism. It's a cool view from a logical and a humanitarian perspective, but it's not big business.

This is why I love my Roku. I still think it is the best streaming box for the price. At least for my needs.

You are on a countdown to disappointment my man, Roku recently sold their soul to the devil (aka Wall Street) and it's just a matter of time before they are enveloped into the mega-corp fold, swallowed, gutted or whatever. It won't be customer friendly, that is for sure.

Turned on my Firestick last night, went to the Youtube App to watch, was redirected to the Firefox Browser, one click & I was watching YouTube like normal, worked pretty seamless. Bravo to Amazon for giving the finger to Google.

I dont know if it's "giving Google the finger", and Google can EASILY block that by browser detection. If this spat continues, dont be surprised if they block you from using the website with that device!

Glad Amazon is sticking it to google.

Then you are obviously ignorant of the situation. Amazon makes their own hardware and also hosts their own video streaming service. Google makes their own hardware and has their own video streaming service. Google is NOT obligated to support every piece of hardware, and Amazon is not supporting Google's hardware. Amazon has been blocking the sales of Google's products on Amazon.com and they refuse to allow their streaming service to be used with Chromecast. Which is fine. But you can't complain about Google blocking the FireTV without also acknowledging the fact that Amazon blocks Google.

Also, YouTube is FAR from the only video streaming service, so you can forget about claiming that Google is in a monopolistic position.

I keep hearing the doomsayers talking about how Roku is going to go to crap because they went public. You know, that could happen no matter what, but for right now, Roku enjoys the best support in the streaming business. Even Google and Amazon have channels on Roku.

I own 3 (1-Roku 2, and 2-Roku 3's). If Roku screws up their business, then someone else will come along and take over. I am glad to see Roku is alive and well and kicking Google and Amazon in the nads in the streaming device business. Last thing the market needs is less competition, or for Google or Amazon to be the only thing available.

ware and also hosts their own video streaming service. Google makes their own hardware and has their own video streaming service. Google is NOT obligated to support every piece of hardware, and Amazon is not supporting Google's hardware. Amazon has been blocking the sales of Google's products on Amazon.com and they refuse to allow their streaming service to be used with Chromecast. Which is fine. But you can't complain about Google blocking the FireTV without also acknowledging the fact that Amazon blocks Google.
No I’m not.

As for the rest of the post I have no idea why it pertains to me so I won’t respond.

YES you are! And the situation, as I have outlined in my post gives you the background on why you shouldnt be cheerleading Amazon. But it sounds like you want to remain WILLFULLY ignorant, and that's even worse than being uninformed.

YES you are! And the situation, as I have outlined in my post gives you the background on why you shouldnt be cheerleading Amazon. But it sounds like you want to remain WILLFULLY ignorant, and that's even worse than being uninformed.
If you say so, still isn’t relevant to me.

Meh. Amazon is holding most of the cards on this one. Youtube is a way to monetize content delivery. Like it or not, losing a way to deliver (and monetize) said content hurts Youtube more than it does Amazon. Unless they really think they'll make up the lost revenue from some shitty chromecasts I don't see Google holding out forever. Is this the beginning of the end of Youtube? I imagine it'll go the way of myspace eventually, it's already got a bunch of whiny "creators" crying when Youtube protects their interests (HOW DARE THEY DEMONETIZE MAH VIDEOZ?!). How long before the new king of content sharing shows up?

Back