Amazon: Top Gear Crew Is Expensive But Worth It

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't think there is any question that Top Gear is worth the money. The BBC made a huge mistake letting those guys go.

While the former Top Gear trio were expected to move from the BBC to a streaming service, Netflix was reportedly the likely place for them to land. Therefore, the trio's decision to go to Amazon Prime for a show premiering in 2016 came as quite a surprise. Now, Amazon boss Jeff Bezos has discussed the deal as part of a longer interview with The Telegraph. He says the production is "very, very, very expensive," but worth it.

Lol, buying quarter million dollar cars that viewers will never get to drive isn't cheap. :)

Probably. But as a publicly funded channel, I can understand why they let him go....his behavior has been getting worse as the years have gone by. If it were a subscription channel, they would have let him slide once again. Either way, they'll get paid more, but not as much coverage as the bbc, especially world wide bbc syndication. Sad the way things went down.

The funny thing about the BBC letting Clarkson go... The reruns they keep playing and the latest Clarkson tribute show. Trying to rake in the ratings before new show starts on Amazon.

Yeah we have to let him go but we'll keep running his old shows. It's like Subway rerunning old commercials with Jarid.

BTW I love the BBC version of Top Gear and was sorry to see it go but happy to see it come to Amazon. Can't wait for the new show with the Clarkson, Hammon and May!!!!!!!

Lol, buying quarter million dollar cars that viewers will never get to drive isn't cheap. :)

they don't buy the car's, Top gear never bought any of them. They were all on loan from the company that makes them.

They had to let Clarkson go, letting him stick around would have set a terrible precedent. I don't have any beef with the guy for the most part (people take him way to seriously when 90% of the time he's just trolling people) but it was way over the line.

they don't buy the car's, Top gear never bought any of them. They were all on loan from the company that makes them.

Or people that were kind enough to let Top Gear actually borrow them. I believe the F1 vs Bugatti special was like that, so was their test of the Enzo. But it seems like $6.9 mil per episode is an incredible amount but I dont know if that is more or less than what they got before. I hope it is more so they can do even crazier and better specials.

Much like amazon prime, amazon prime video is stupid. I have to pay for a discount that I get to use? I think not. The "free" stuff they put on prime video is worthless most of the time. Everything worth watching costs additional money on top of the cost of prime.

They let him go cause he was an asshole who was smelling his own farts to such a degree he thought he could hit staff around him.

That's why he was let go.

You honestly think he's going to treat Amazon staff any better?

They had to let Clarkson go, letting him stick around would have set a terrible precedent. I don't have any beef with the guy for the most part (people take him way to seriously when 90% of the time he's just trolling people) but it was way over the line.
I see what you did there :) I hope amazon keeps their pantry stocked and their cooks on a salary :)

It's ok, bittorrent doesn't.

Yeah, I was assuming I would have to steal it.

I think it will have that kind of reach after the show and that is what Amazon is trying for.

Amazon has re-stream and re-broadcast deals with networks all over the place. It's not as simple as expanding Prime in other countries. Lawyers and old school broadcasting CEOs would be involved.

You honestly think he's going to treat Amazon staff any better?
I hear his new executive producer is going to be somebody he'd probably not try hitting
url

RED ALERT! Bring out the pirates! He said steal in regards to copyright protection. :D

Looking forward to the show.

Steal the time and labor people put into making it, and the expenses they had to pay for to produce it

Top Gear had to go because it was tired and too formulaic. The scripted buffoonery was really tiresome.

The only reason left to watch it was the cinematography of the foreign road trips which was often stunning.

No one films locations better than the Top Gear crew.

Well I can't say it won't work for them. I'll be renewing my prime membership largely because of this. Not entirely of course, I renew it every once in a while anyhow to get caught up on their content and take advantage of the shipping. Honestly it has basically as much free "watchable for me" content as netflix and is in the same monthly ballpark. The Free shipping and music are just nice bonuses.

Much like amazon prime, amazon prime video is stupid. I have to pay for a discount that I get to use? I think not. The "free" stuff they put on prime video is worthless most of the time. Everything worth watching costs additional money on top of the cost of prime.

Oh, c'mon man. You 're not paying for a discount you get to use. That's like saying a car rebate is paying for a discount you get to use.

You are paying for a package of services lump sum. Free 2 day shipping and access to video and music libraries.

You don't have to sign up.

Oh, c'mon man. You 're not paying for a discount you get to use. That's like saying a car rebate is paying for a discount you get to use.

You are paying for a package of services lump sum. Free 2 day shipping and access to video and music libraries.

You don't have to sign up.

Paying for free 2 day shipping, when amazon has nothing worth buying at a decent price. Also paying for access to a limited amount of free titles (that are all available on Netflix, which is a heck of a lot more convenient and works), then the titles that are decent, you still have to pay additional money for.

Anyone that thinks top-gear is going to be free for prime members is crazy. The production is so expensive they will have to charge extra for it.

Back