Amazon storage

rive22

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone use these with a lot of storage? Anybody know what kind of redundancy they use? It's amazon so I assume it's pretty solid.

Thoughts, experiences, etc, post

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home/

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I haven't used any cloud storage. My cable connection is only 5MB up, so large amounts of data would be impractical. It's painful enough uploading to file share sites.

I'd like to put ~* on it, but only if others have done large amounts as well.

I know some people use crashplan and backblaze even with large amounts, but I don't feel comfortable hoarding that much space on there.

If anyone has other services to recommend, go ahead. I just saw that and it seems like a good deal and I know amazon takes their computing services very seriously. SSH access would be nice, and fast UL/DL.

Last edited:
Amazon's EULA forbids you from uploading copyrighted material, so there's that.

I've been using it since the beta was launched a little over a year ago. Got it free for a year when I bought a portable HDD. The app used to upload files is incredibly rudimentary. It offers no sync, encryption etc.. ,however there are a number of other apps that can be used to enhance the experience. The one thing it does offer, and does better then any other cloud storage provider I've used, is raw bandwidth. I had a symmetrical 300/300 connection and was able to max the upload for 17 days until I backed off. Downstream performance is just as good. I've uploaded around 35TB thus far without issue. IMO it's the best bang for the buck no frills cloud storage option available.

Unless something has changed, the UI is horrible and upload rates are slow. It took me about a week (maybe longer) to upload 1.5 - 2 TB of photos. The only reason I did it was they offered it for 5 bucks last year. I'm thinking of using crashplan. Need to check out their trial.

I've been using it since the beta was launched a little over a year ago. Got it free for a year when I bought a portable HDD. The app used to upload files is incredibly rudimentary. It offers no sync, encryption etc.. ,however there are a number of other apps that can be used to enhance the experience. The one thing it does offer, and does better then any other cloud storage provider I've used, is raw bandwidth. I had a symmetrical 300/300 connection and was able to max the upload for 17 days until I backed off. Downstream performance is just as good. I've uploaded around 35TB thus far without issue. IMO it's the best bang for the buck no frills cloud storage option available.

Wow that's so not what my experience was, but my upload was probably constrained to 30mbps.

Like I said, the UI is indeed very basic and missing lots of features when compared to the competition. The throughput however is outstanding. I've tested at several different locations and the results have always been the same. Here's what I normally see on 150/150

Amazon%20Throughput.jpg

Amazon's EULA forbids you from uploading copyrighted material, so there's that.
With the right encryption (file contents and file names) they won't know what goes on there.

I kind of suspect that's in there just to protect them and they won't really take a look at the contents unless prompted. (not that i'd ever test that theory)

I use amazon storage and love it. I have 15TB up there and it was very quickly uploaded.

How can you access the content? Like an FTP server? Google Drive? Through an app?

What I mean is, is the content viewable without a special app?

EDIT: From Wikipedia
File sharing
Files and folders can be selected to be downloaded to the device or generate a randomized shareable link. This link can be directed e-mailed, or shared to social media. Anyone with the link will have access to the shared files. At any point of time in the future, the application will allow the owner to break a shared link and make the files private again.

Yeah been a while since I did the math but I've been using Crashplan with no complaints. Currently at ~5TB and as long as the file doesn't need significant breakdown and processing, I can fill my upload pipe (35Mbps[4MBps]).

For my uses I'm more interested in a very large & fast remote storage device than the way crashplan/backblaze work.

Does anyone know if you can SSH with this amazon storage like you can with their other services? That would pretty much make it a slam dunk.

For my uses I'm more interested in a very large & fast remote storage device than the way crashplan/backblaze work.
Does anyone know if you can SSH with this amazon storage like you can with their other services? That would pretty much make it a slam dunk.
Not sure if that means Crashplan is slow, but if I use it, I'm almost certainly going to use it to backup locally and/or set up a nas out of state and back up to that (though I already backup to WHS, but that doesn't protect me from a fire).

As I recall, you can't use FTP with amazon drive. I think you'd have to use an AWS service for that.

I used Crashplan in the past. But the upload speeds suck ass. They throttle it intentionally. I had 15TB of data that needed to be uploaded through Crashplan. Consistently said it would take 1-2 years. And I have Google fiber and a very good upload rate.
I moved over to Amazon Storage and was able to upload that full 15Tb in just over a week. Screw CP. Not even close to impressive anymore.

Back