Amazon Pulled Asus PB278Q

menace2society

Limp Gawd
Just tried to replace my monitor with amazon and they have pulled the item because of the high return with back light bleed. On the phone now with cus serv. Will probably end up with a dell 2713hm. This is a real pain in the ass. Don't know if I should just live with it or not. Interested in hearing what others mite do in this situation.

TIA:Menace

Generally we prefer that people deal with the reseller within the return period, but I should be able to set up an RMA for you if you want to stay with the PB278Q, and Amazon has depleted their remaining stock, assuming you're in the NA region. Otherwise I might be able to find someone to help take care of you.

Nice of you to respond:cool: What's the guarantee I wont have the same issue, this will be my third one. Is back light bleed covered in the warranty so if I receive another one with the same problem will I be stuck with it, the first one was really really bad don't know how it made it pass QC

Again thanks for the response: Menace

Interesting, picked mine up from Amazon and I've got no backlight bleed that I can see... maybe I just got lucky.

Nice of you to respond:cool: What's the guarantee I wont have the same issue, this will be my third one. Is back light bleed covered in the warranty so if I receive another one with the same problem will I be stuck with it, the first one was really really bad don't know how it made it pass QC

Again thanks for the response: Menace

I don't typically handle monitors, but I am the sort of jack of all trades of my group, so... Depending on the inventory we have in our RMA dept here, I could personally take over the RMA. Find a display, run whatever tests you want on it, then send it out to you when you're satisfied.

So I had occasion to risk immolation and ask my group's monitor maven. She will be assisting on my side of things, and she would like to see a photo of the issue if you could provide one. If you could send that to the email address in my sig, that would make it easier for me to then pass it along to her as well.

Yeah it was great communication, that's excellent customer service Asus should be proud to have you as an employee Scott you represent Asus very well. Unfortunately Amazon has already issued a credit so the monitor going back thank you though greatly appreciated, won't hesitate to buy another Asus product

Menace

I hope the issue with Amazon is resolved. I have heavily debated between the PB278Q and the U2713HM and ready to bite on one. I believe the PB278Q fits my needs better. Only reason I haven't bought sooner is I am holding out on a price drop for the Asus.

@cl-scott

Is the warranty for an Amazon Warehouse "used-like new" deal handled any different from a brand "new" unit? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I ordered from Amazon about two weeks ago and I'm quite pleased with my unit. Very little bleeding overall, just a little bit on the top right side (but I can live with it).

Some strong glow when viewed at an off angle but that's to be expected from IPS/PLS.

That is how mine is as well. Just a bit on the top right corner. And I do have the white IPS glow that most monitors come with.

When I had the monitor I noticed a strong white glow as well. What's that about I haven't bought a monitor since probably about 2004. So the white glow was new to me. My Ben Q 24 inch monitor which is an ISP panel does not have any white glow so have monitors gotten worse over the years instead of better really the white glow is pretty annoying on a black screen. Really missing my Sony FW 900 those were the days!!!

Menace

I hope the issue with Amazon is resolved. I have heavily debated between the PB278Q and the U2713HM and ready to bite on one. I believe the PB278Q fits my needs better. Only reason I haven't bought sooner is I am holding out on a price drop for the Asus.

@cl-scott

Is the warranty for an Amazon Warehouse "used-like new" deal handled any different from a brand "new" unit? Thanks for your input.

That's a little outside my area of expertise, because I'm the "forums" guy as opposed to the others who you may see posting responses to reviews on sites like Amazon. So I'm assuming that's Amazon's version of an open box unit, in which case the only real difference would be that the warranty clock has been ticking while it's been sitting on Amazon's warehouse shelves.

If a unit comes back for an RMA, we replace it with another unit, and then resell the original unit as a refurb, the SN is flagged as it being a refurb unit in our systems. That's not the case with open box.

So, say someone buys a PB278Q, then a couple days later decides it was an impulsive purchase they couldn't afford, and return it to Amazon. Nothing's wrong with the unit. It then sits in an Amazon warehouse for 6 months before being sold again. The next owner of the unit will only have a 6 month warranty instead of a 1 year warranty.

That answer your question?

Thanks for the reply! So basically the warranty for an "open box" buy is the same as a new unit minus the amount of time the package was originally opened. If I interpreted that correctly, then yes that answers my question. I just want to be sure the warranty would not be forfeit all together because a unit had already been opened. Thanks again for taking your time to correspond in the forum.

Thanks for the reply! So basically the warranty for an "open box" buy is the same as a new unit minus the amount of time the package was originally opened. If I interpreted that correctly, then yes that answers my question. I just want to be sure the warranty would not be forfeit all together because a unit had already been opened. Thanks again for taking your time to correspond in the forum.

Yes, that would be an accurate summary. In exchange for the discounted price, you forgo some time on the warranty. How much time you give up depends on how long it's been since the first time the unit was sold. Otherwise, it is the same as a new unit.

I went through 3 from amazon, one with what looked to be a piece of lint under the outside layer, and two with several hot pixels each. Glad I just returned the last one and bought a samsun g970 from microcenter, 799. Much happier.

If you worried about backlight bleed, I would not go with the U2713HM, I gave it three tries, 1 of the 3 did not have noticeable backlight bleed, but unfortunately had a line of six dead pixels, the other two, were terrible.

Why is buying an LCD computer monitor such a crap shoot these days.

That's what I would like to know i can't understand how companies can let these products leave the factory. All I want to do is buy a monitor, why is it such a chore? This process has taken all the fun and excitement of something new out of it for me,now I just want it to be over:rolleyes: I can't remember when was the last time that a purchase was so drawn out this began on December 3 it is now January 9 and still no monitor. Maybe I should just fix my Sony fw900 and be done with the whole thing, or stick to using the Sony G520 I'm using now.

Menace:::confused:

Back