Amazon Prime Price Increase

It's not just 2 day free shipping, Prime pays for itself pretty quickly with the 20% off you get for subscribe and save.

20%? How do you get 20%? I am a prime member and I only get up to 15% if I have 5 or more items arriving in that particular order. Also you do not need Amazon Prime to take advantage of the 15% off 5 items or more using Subscribe and Save.

I thought this, too. However I asked them in a chat session when I had an issue with one of my items arriving two days late. He told me I do not need to be a prime member to use it.

20%? How do you get 20%? I am a prime member and I only get up to 15% if I have 5 or more items arriving in that particular order. Also you do not need Amazon Prime to take advantage of the 15% off 5 items or more using Subscribe and Save.

I thought this, too. However I asked them in a chat session when I had an issue with one of my items arriving two days late. He told me I do not need to be a prime member to use it.

It may be Amazon Mom that takes it up to 20%, it's hard to keep track since they've been changing stuff over the years. Either way, it's Prime/Mom that's getting the extra 5%.

It may be Amazon Mom that takes it up to 20%, it's hard to keep track since they've been changing stuff over the years. Either way, it's Prime/Mom that's getting the extra 5%.

Then it's the Amazon Mom getting the extra 5%, because no Prime or Prime only gets 15%.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mom/signup

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I was a Mom (Dad even) then I would for sure pay for the Amazon Mom deal simply because diapers are expensive! You get 20% off diapers, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra 5% on the Subscribe and Save. How much does Amazon Mom cost per year?

If I was a Mom (Dad even) then I would for sure pay for the Amazon Mom deal simply because diapers are expensive! You get 20% off diapers, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra 5% on the Subscribe and Save. How much does Amazon Mom cost per year?

Amazon Mom is free with a Prime membership, you just have to apply for it. If you don't have a Prime Membership I think you get 3 months free when you apply and then it renews at the current yearly rate for Prime.

They probably should have called it Amazon Family or something like that, but I bet the "Mom" branding does better with that demographic that they are going after.

Oh I see.

Not so sure I'd pay $100 for an extra 5% saving on my subscribe and save items. I was already planning to drop it at the old $80 rate because I simply don't utilize any of the features it gives and 5% would mean I'd have to order $2000 a year on my subscribe and save program to break even @ $100 a year. (5% of $2000 = $100)

If they'd make Instant Video more open sourced in a way that it could easily be embed into software such as XBMC then I think I'd pay the $100 just for the ability to watch free content conveniently through my HTPC.

Really such a shame since it has so much potential IMHO.

I'll probably renew, assuming that I don't see a big decrease in the number of Amazon orders over the next year due to sales tax starting this year in Indiana. I do hate going to stores, plus I've only bought a few items that tend to sell at full MSRP (ex. video games or consoles) from other places (Newegg plus Amex/Shoprunner).

I just looked and I placed 64 orders in 2013. An extra 20 bucks works out to 31 cents an order. Needless to say, 20 bucks doesn't make a difference to me.

For me Amazon with Prime is better than shopping in person 99% of the time, mostly because you can usually get exactly what you want instead of either settling for something non-optimum or driving all over town (and then still usually settling). Little stuff like recently buying an electric charcoal lighter, I've got the option of buying the shitty one from Lowe's and getting it the same day, or driving all over town hoping to find a good one and still probably not, or waiting 36 hours and getting a good one from Amazon. I'm going to go with the third option almost every time.

I just looked and I placed 64 orders in 2013. An extra 20 bucks works out to 31 cents an order. Needless to say, 20 bucks doesn't make a difference to me.

41 orders in 2013 here, but same thing, 20 bucks is a no-brainer because in addition to those 41 orders of stuff we were streaming days/weeks of HD content and the wife used the eBook checkout.

Amazon Prime is a heck of a great deal for us even if they were to double the price to 200.

I'd like to know how many people are planning to not renew after this price increase, because if more than 20% or more of current subscribers do not renew then Amazon will break even and start to lose income from it.

I'm torn because there video selection is very similar to Netflix and they have been doing a lot of post office hand off and prime items have become considerably higher priced than non prime eligible. I have till November to decide.

Indeed.

It use to be UPS/Fedex and both were fine as they have 24 hour locations around me I can do pick up (work nights), but now, most prime items cost more than other sellers, or I get charged tax on allot now also, and the USPS hand off has GOT to stop. Ordered a set of batteries with Prime, item shows as in town, "great" I think....7pm comes and it shows a hand off to USPS, 3 days? Ok, whatever, nope, USPS does not put it on a truck the next day (Friday) as such I don't get it until Monday, so 6 days to get it and this has been happening more and more.

Indeed.

It use to be UPS/Fedex and both were fine as they have 24 hour locations around me I can do pick up (work nights), but now, most prime items cost more than other sellers, or I get charged tax on allot now also, and the USPS hand off has GOT to stop. Ordered a set of batteries with Prime, item shows as in town, "great" I think....7pm comes and it shows a hand off to USPS, 3 days? Ok, whatever, nope, USPS does not put it on a truck the next day (Friday) as such I don't get it until Monday, so 6 days to get it and this has been happening more and more.

You do realize that if you do not get a Prime 2-day shipped item on the guaranteed delivery date that you can contact them (i usually use the chat) and they generally give you an additional month on your Prime membership. (It's happened to me on three separate occasions now and two of those were on account of really bad winter weather, but they still gave me a free month.)

I'd like to know how many people are planning to not renew after this price increase, because if more than 20% or more of current subscribers do not renew then Amazon will break even and start to lose income from it.

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee.
w.png
I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it.

I shop on amazon a lot so I feel like the discounted prices I get probably even out the membership fee.
w.png
I will probably still come out ahead but not sure. Its probably still worth it.

What discounted prices do you get being a Prime member?

You do realize that if you do not get a Prime 2-day shipped item on the guaranteed delivery date that you can contact them (i usually use the chat) and they generally give you an additional month on your Prime membership. (It's happened to me on three separate occasions now and two of those were on account of really bad winter weather, but they still gave me a free month.)

Never knew that, I will starting holding their feet to the fire with the price hike.

My 79 dollar renewal cost 86 dollars in cali. That said if this is what they need to do to avoid cutting costs on my shipping I'm all for it. I use amazon but when something screws up they fix it. I'm not really happy to fix my titanfall order I had to speak to supervisor but they still fixed it. I have a feeling that non prime customer service may go down hill some, because they keep getting hit with lawsuits, and they need to cut corners. I'll pay 20 bucks more next year to keep the priority account I have with them.

But then again I buy a lot of stuff from amazon because I read books. I'm guessing I spend around a thousand dollars a year just on books. Out of last 15 collectors edition video games I'm guessing 12 were bought through amazon. If I had to pay the 20 - 30 for shipping that I do other places I think it might be around around four hundred dollars, so with prime being 99 dollars I'm still ahead. The only thing that does suck is some stuff does not qualify even when coming from there warehouses.

Oh and in LA they have what amounts to large PO boxes in the 7-11s that you can have your stuff shipped to that are open in the middle of night so if I can't be home I can swing by the 7-11 and pick up my stuff after what ever I'm doing that day.

If you call up Amazon and complain , do it nicely and politely, about the missed express shipment , 9x out of 10 they will tack on an extra month of free prime to your account . Last year I had 3 months added to my prime account for a few packages that did not come to me on time.

It should be 10 times out of 10. It's right in the Amazon Prime agreement. If they miss a delivery date, free month of prime for you.

It's really awesome that they do that, considering it's not their fault if the carrier can't make their obligations.

It's really awesome that they do that, considering it's not their fault if the carrier can't make their obligations.

I've never had ups fail at getting it to me on time, all my missed dates were amazon shipping it ground when I pay for 1 day or just waiting 2 days to actually ship the item.

In the end my point is people getting all faux outraged or all of a sudden huffing and puffing about a 20% increase after 9 years of no increase is a bit ridiculous.

It's not a 20% increase, it's a 25.316...% increase. If you replace that % sign with a $ sign, you're correct though. Sorry just had to.

I only originally got Prime membership because I wanted to have all my monitor replacements for the VP2770 come within 2 days. It ended up getting harder and harder to actually return the things and get a replacement so I just eventually said screw it and ended it when the third one was defective. My Qnix was fine. It was also not from Amazon, which means my Prime didn't help out my original purpose of getting a 1440p monitor at all. At least I didn't have to pay the massive shipping costs during this exchange fest.

And hey at least I got all of those Spice and Wolf books (all 10 of them, which would probably normally be pretty expensive to do 2 day shipping on) pretty fast... kind of. I've been ordering a lot with Prime recently but the 2 day shipping is kind of a wash. They take a long time to ship out on some items anyway, which makes me wonder what the point of it taking 2 days to get here is (supposedly; sometimes the second part doesn't even happen). I'm really on the fence about whether to keep Prime or not. On one hand I might be using the movies option more frequently now because I have my own place and a 51 inch Samsung 5500 plasma to watch it on (which has Amazon built in...)... but I'm also skeptical about how much anime they could possibly have on that service. Certainly nothing compared to the amount I've stockpiled and can stockpile using my normal means.

PC Parts wise it's often also not the best choice price wise most of the time (especially since I have to pay taxes in GA). On the other hand it does have a huge selection of various other goods, but it's just a question of how valuable getting it in (supposedly) 2 days is. That's practically the only value of the prime membership. Most of the time I was getting things in 2 days with or without prime membership with the free shipping. The only thing I'd be giving up is the streaming service, which I had never used up until this point anyway...

But I would be considering this with or without the 20$ increase. 20 extra dollars per year is like... well yeah let's face it, it's basically nothing.

It should be 10 times out of 10. It's right in the Amazon Prime agreement. If they miss a delivery date, free month of prime for you.

Amazon has yet to give me a free month when they miss a shipping deadline and the company is only about 3:5 for getting things to me on time and 7:8 undamaged.

I was actually just thinking about cancelling my Prime. Not because of the price increase, as I buy a lot from Amazon, but because I have noticed a decrease in processing and shipping speed. I guess I come from a time when 2 day shipping meant expedited and treated differently than ground. When I used to shell out more for next or 2 day shipping, it was because I needed that item asap. It seems that nowadays 2 day shipping is becoming more of the norm, and thus treated the same as ground. My orders now consistently take a day longer to process, and my packages arrive a day or two late (using their guaranteed delivery date as the expected arrival date).

I have also noticed that more often, they are using a new service where UPS ships it to the USPS, which then delivers locally. The last 3 items that have gone this route have sat in a post office for 24 hours... I guess I feel a bit like I am making a big deal of nothing, but if 2 day shipping is the reason I am paying for Prime, but the reality is that the item costs slightly more and I wont get it for 4-5 days, then I dont see the value in that service.

As a side note, the last Prime item I ordered arrived 7 days after ordering it (I ordered it in the AM of the first day...). I needed that item for a presentation I was giving over the weekend, and I did not receive it. I sent Amazon an email basically stating everything above, and they responded within an hour and apologized, and gave me a $10 credit (that specific item was only $16). I was satisfied with their timely response and credit. I still dont know if I will continue the Prime service though.

...My orders now consistently take a day longer to process, and my packages arrive a day or two late (using their guaranteed delivery date as the expected arrival date).

I have also noticed that more often, they are using a new service where UPS ships it to the USPS, which then delivers locally. The last 3 items that have gone this route have sat in a post office for 24 hours...

Just in the last month about half of the 10 or so items I ordered did not arrive on the guaranteed delivery date. I can't remember another instance ever where Prime delivery was late prior to this. Some were Smart-Post and others regular UPS shipping. I didn't call them on it because they have been so good in the past but I am going to from now on. It seems like they are testing how much they can get away with.

Amazon has yet to give me a free month when they miss a shipping deadline and the company is only about 3:5 for getting things to me on time and 7:8 undamaged.
I've had three missed orders, and each time I complained I received a $10 credit on my account. That's fine with me.

Back