Amazon Prime Day 2016 Was The “Biggest Day In The History Of Amazon”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I guess I’ll have to take Amazon’s word for it, but I basically forgot all about their big sale day. Did any of you actually score a great deal on something?

Amazon says it sold 90,000 TVs and hundreds of thousands of Kindle Paperwhite e-readers. In the US, Amazon shoppers bought 18,048 pairs of headphones in the first three hours of Prime Day alone, but it wasn't just US shoppers that went Prime Day mad. In Italy, Prime members ordered enough Caffe Vergnano coffee capsules to caffeinate a married couple twice a day for 27 years - much cheaper than marriage counselling. French and Belgium shoppers bought so many games consoles in the afternoon you could stack them on top of each other to make a tower taller than l'Obélisque de la Concorde, while German bargain hunters bought more than 160,000 toys, board games and stuffed animals.

My wife bought and Instant Pot. Other than that, no.

Hundreds of thousands of kindle readers.... wow!
That is a hell of a lot of readers for just one day/week in sales. I would expect amazon to profit hugely in the future from all of the book sales that will bring them

I picked up a new masterbuilt electric smoker, was on a flash deal that day for half price.

I didn't see anything I wanted or needed on sale, so once again the answer for me was: no. I use prime all the time, but not on prime day it seems. lol

Too much stuff on sale, don't care enough to spend hours looking for a good deal. Oh, and bad taste in my mouth after all the crap they listed from their 2015 FLOP sale.

My wife and I picked up a Shark vacuum for a decent price on Prime Day, so we helped contribute to that record.

Bought a nice Norelco beard trimmer. Today, however, I grabbed a Yamaha integrated amp and pair of Serengeti sunglasses, neither of which were part of the Prime day sale.

This is the first I've heard of "Amazon Prime Day" and I've been on the site a few times recently... *shrugs*

I know there was a glitch with the xbox one consoles, people were buying 2 prime bundles for the price of 1. They did honor the first few orders, but most of them had to deal with the headache of the way amazon splits orders including instant giftcards, revised billing charges on the remaining items, and refunds/returns.

I saw a $69.99 BBQ thermometer that was marked up to $100 and then marked back down to $69.99!

I must have forgotten to jump at those hot deals.

The B isn't for Bargain, it's for Bullshit!

It's not that it was too much it was that it was too hard to find what I wanted, if anything. All the lists and searching, plus everyone's new favorite way of showing discounts from MSRP instead of what it's usually priced at it made me skeptical of "sales." In the end I didn't see anything to make me party with my money or to make me sift around for things that might have.

Had some items we waited to order to see if they would be discounted on prime day. 2 items were similar but better so I switched to those. A 4 port usb car charger and an Ipcam. We didn't meet the requirement for the $30 visa code but I tried anyway. The offer had expired early for whatever reason. I got an email two days later saying

"Dear Valued Customer,

In connection with Prime Day, we ran a limited offer of $30 off a purchase of $150 or more with the Amazon Rewards Visa Card on Amazon.com. We see that you entered the promotion code VISA30 after the offer had already expired. Because you are a valued cardmember, we have loaded a $30 Amazon.com Gift Card to your account."

The roomba was a steal at $200. Made cleaning the house a breeze. Best money ever spent for a damn vacuum.

$150 off Nexus 6p, 128gb. They sold a ton too im sure. Black was all gone by the time I decided. Went with silver

I bet UPS and the likes hated the days after Prime Day, lol

I got a 2 pound tub of powdered peanut butter. Missed that Sandisk ssd deal /sad.

While the inflated list price is usually indeed over-priced and wrong one would be a fool not to shop around at other locations also. That being said the lightening deals and daily deals for the items Amazon from my research does beat others most of the time. Not always but most of the time you can't beat their sale at other shops. So yeah the list price is bogus but usually the final Prime price with free shipping equals to less than anyone else will give you "usually".

The roomba was a steal at $200. Made cleaning the house a breeze. Best money ever spent for a damn vacuum.
They had quite a few great deals. The 54" Vizio soundbar, usually $399, was only $199, but I just had no need for one.

The had a a B&D 40V lawnmower for $250, a considerable discount too, but again I'm holding out for the 56V Ego w/ the 7.5AH lithium battery.

I got a big discount on the FLIR thermal imager as well, which has worked beyond my expectations (it is so sensitive, it even sees all the studs in my walls, or if you touch a wall even briefly, it leaves a thermal handprint, and even the range is great... should use these at the Mexican border).

I also bought a window AC on their warehouse deal promotion dirt cheap in "like new" condition. I get it tomorrow, and if its not damaged in shipping, I'll be really happy.

I also bought sheep balls (don't judge).

Back