Amazon Launches Used Game Trade-In Program

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like GameStop just got a little competition in the used games market. Amazon has announced that they are taking used games as trade for store credit. The process sounds pretty easy too, you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your Lazy-boy to complete the transaction.

Our video game trade-in process is easy. Go to www.amazon.com/tradeingames and discover games that you want to trade among hundreds of titles. Once you’ve found your game, print off a prepaid shipping label (no cost to you), drop it in the mail, and you’re done. Once games are received and verified, an Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your Amazon.com account.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow. I wonder what the EA, Blizzard, etc. think about this...

Geez Steve, do you take your lazy-boy to the mail box with you very often?

This should encourage EA, Blizzard, etc. into digital distribution.

Diablo 2 work effectively enough against pirating, doesn't it?

What do you guys think?

I cant use that, i trash all my original boxes except my collector's editions and it says in the fine print that all original boxes and packaging must be included.

What do you guys think?

The Diablo 2 gameplay model and online service works in a way that A) its pretty much worthless for single player B) battle.net is pretty much immune to piracy

not to mention its not based on a subscription fee, so people are much less likely to modify the game to access pirate servers

I don't think the diablo 2 model works in this day in age though, at least as far as the online service goes. Bandwidth needs are too hefty and the service would be unprofitable.

What do you guys think?

Only if you play online. A single key could be used numerous times for single player only.

20yr minimum manditory period!!!
asshole.gif

The Diablo 2 gameplay model and online service works in a way that A) its pretty much worthless for single player B) battle.net is pretty much immune to piracy

not to mention its not based on a subscription fee, so people are much less likely to modify the game to access pirate servers

I don't think the diablo 2 model works in this day in age though, at least as far as the online service goes. Bandwidth needs are too hefty and the service would be unprofitable.

Errr... So as the cost of bandwidth plummets and the cost of computing power plummets these services are more expensive to run?

Battlenet uses very little bandwidth. For the most part it is a matchmaking service. It doesn't host games. Diablo 2 is a special case in which BNet does do a lots of hosting-type tasks, but overall still uses very little bandwidth.

Blizzard's games and battle.net are a great anti-piracy model. The game has good single player, and huge online replay value. I know plenty of pirates that bought this game for online play.

A 1Gbit pipe is what? 10k/month? You could easily handle 100,000+ players on a single 1Gbit pipe. Considering their sales, I can't believe the cost of Battlenet works out to more then $2-3/sale on average, and that number is definitely dropping. The bandwidth usage of games is in now way keeping up with the dropping prices of bandwidth.

Back