Amazon Launches E-Waste Recycling Program

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In celebration of America Recycles Day, Amazon has launched a new e-waste recycling program. Amazon's website will show you the nearest recycling truck, and all you have to do is drive up to the truck, and let the staff unload and disassemble the old electronics for you. Amazon specifically mentions that they will respect your data security and privacy during the process.

Okay, so you want to know what you can bring. Here's the list: adapters, blender, cable boxes, cables/power cords, calculators, can openers, cell phones, copiers, desktops, digital cameras, digital cards, digital clocks, DVD/CD/VCR players, DVRs, expansion cards, electronic hubs, fax machines, gaming, systems, GPS devices, griddles, hard drives, hair dryers, home phones, irons, keyboards, laptops/notebooks, memory/RAM devices, mice (the computer ones!), microwaves, modems, monitors (LCD/CRT), multi-function devices, navigational devices, networking/telecom equipment, office phones, phone systems, printers, power supplies, processors, remote controllers, routers, scanners, servers, shredders, smart phones, smart watches, solid state drives, speakers, stereos, switches, tablets, televisions (LCD, CRT, etc.), toaster ovens, and unused vacuums. Again, if you have any of these things, we'll take 'em!

Sadly, we can't take these e-waste items: batteries, CDs/DVDs, dental x-ray machines, dryers, e-cigarettes, electronic toys (talking/animated toys, RC cars, toy guns, toys with batteries, etc.), hazardous materials, heaters, lava lamps, light bulbs, medical waste, mercury-containing mini fridges, non-electronic materials, refrigerators, smoke detectors, solar panels, stand mixers, trash, treadmills, used vacuums, vending machine, VHS tapes, washers.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They wont take coffee grinders? well I dont even see the point of this then.

I use the FS/FT forum for most of my electronic "recycling" :)

Clicking on the link takes me to the Treasure Truck info page. No signs of anything to do with e-waste.

If you click on "find the truck" it shows where the truck is to dump your stuff at. In my case, it's in Arlington TX today. I am NOT driving to Arlington to dump off old computer stuff. But if you have a warehouse full of old CRTs..... just sayin.

According to an article, it's only for 1 day and in limited cities. https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...rates-America-Recycles-Day-E-Waste-Collection

EVENT LOCATIONS:
Dallas area at Globe Life Park (Lot M), 1200 Pennant Dr, Arlington, TX 76011
Denver at Broncos Stadium at Mile High (Lot C), 1701 Bryant St, Denver, CO 80204
San Jose at Eastridge Center (Parking lot between Macy’s & JCPenney, near VTA station): 2200 Eastridge Loop, San Jose, CA 95122
Seattle area at Marymoor Park - Lot B: 6046 West Lake Sammamish Pkwy NE, Redmond, WA 98052
Washington D.C. area at FedEx Field (Lot A), 1600 Fedex Way, Landover, MD 20785

This is cool if the truck shows up in an area without some type of e-waste disposal setup. But if the weight of your e-waste is less then the weight of the fuel used to transport it to the truck, probably better just to pitch it into the trash. A lot of normal trash gets some type of sorting and picking over before the remainder is dumped in a landfill.

Would be interesting to follow the trail and see if it ships to the bottom of the ocean.
Right along with like 1500 shipping containers every year full of stuff.

Out of sight - out of mind tho right?

Right along with like 1500 shipping containers every year full of stuff.

Out of sight - out of mind tho right?
Yup, until sea creatures or tide bring it back up which is happening more and more. We are the race with zero fucks given about how we treat the planet.

My friend works in a recycle center. They get to take what they want and the rest gets recycled. I wonder if Amazon will be the same way.

He has several laptops, old games, tablets, phones, etc. that he has. He sells some and keeps the rest.

Keep in mind also that a lot of landfills and trash drop off centers have a "leave it - take it" area for functional stuff people just don't want anymore.

One man's trash = another mans treasure.

My friend works in a recycle center. They get to take what they want and the rest gets recycled. I wonder if Amazon will be the same way.

He has several laptops, old games, tablets, phones, etc. that he has. He sells some and keeps the rest.

Keep in mind also that a lot of landfills and trash drop off centers have a "leave it - take it" area for functional stuff people just don't want anymore.

One man's trash = another mans treasure.

Agree with these sentiments and I can't fathom people throwing away perfectly good electronics.

Amazon is just going to grind this stuff up after taking anything valuable. Next comes stripping the valuable metals from choice obsolete components and finally tossing the majority into a landfill, this is the standard e-waste "recycling" process. Any reuse or recycling is better than none, but why not just donate to goodwill or other charity? The charity gets to make money while offering old electronics to those in need or idiots like me who love old electronics / PCs :)

Conflicted about this. They accept: smart phones. But don't accept: batteries.

Can't have one without the other - non-replaceable or removeable batteries in smartphones is a Marketing Law.

Does the E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial cartridge count as "expansion card"? I heard there's a whole landfill of them no one wants.

This is cool if the truck shows up in an area without some type of e-waste disposal setup. But if the weight of your e-waste is less then the weight of the fuel used to transport it to the truck, probably better just to pitch it into the trash. A lot of normal trash gets some type of sorting and picking over before the remainder is dumped in a landfill.

That's illegal in some states like California. They can go through your trash and fine you for the e-waste in your regular trash.

Luckily, the office complex I'm in has an e-waste collection once or twice a year, all I have to due is pile it on the cart and roll it out to the parking lot.
Also, here in California, Goodwill takes most e-waste (computers, monitors, TV, etc.).

That's illegal in some states like California. They can go through your trash and fine you for the e-waste in your regular trash.

Luckily, the office complex I'm in has an e-waste collection once or twice a year, all I have to due is pile it on the cart and roll it out to the parking lot.
Also, here in California, Goodwill takes most e-waste (computers, monitors, TV, etc.).

Lots of things are illegal in California...like living. ;)

Conflicted about this. They accept: smart phones. But don't accept: batteries.

Can't have one without the other - non-replaceable or removeable batteries in smartphones is a Marketing Law.
isn't the premise of ewaste being an issue more about data sensitivity?

isn't the premise of ewaste being an issue more about data sensitivity?

Perhaps...but was pointing out the conflict of disposal - recycle smartphones, but not batteries. And most fancy shiny smartphones have sealed batteries. Tricky. ;-)

Sadly, we can't take these e-waste items ...

Translated that basically means "We don't want any of your shit that we can't sell for a profit because even though this is supposed to be a recycling operation we're going to make bank from this and you damn well know it."

People can understand that, right? :D

Everything that people give them will end up in shipping containers sent over to southern Asia and used in some of those large marketplaces where people can get electronics repaired on the spot.

Amazon ain't doing this for free, folks.

If you are in the Milwaukee area (I think Chicago too), check out Goodwill. They will e-cycle most anything for free. Just drive up to the normal donation are and say that you've got a bunch of old electronics that you want to recycle. They will take large amounts from businesses too but you need to call them ahead of time.
https://www.goodwillecycle.com/what-we-accept

BP

Back