Amazon Is Sending Targeted Invitations to Try Fire TV Free

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you get what you think is spam email from Amazon, you might want to take another look at it. If you are an Amazon preferred customer, you may receive an invitation to accept a Fire TV free to use for a month and if it doesn't meet your needs, return it with no charge.

I ordered one the day it came out, after an hour I plugged my GoogleTV back in.

It didn't have ANY way to view network media other than buying plex (which I don't like anymore AND already have bought it and given them more money than I ever should have)

Add in the fact that it is WAY to easy to accidently buy things (so the misses and kid can't use it) or you have to use a parent lock, but then enter the PIN to watch FREE PRIME shows which is annoying.

Sure it will get better.
When voice search includes netflix, when you don't have to ADB to sideload, but it has a ways to go for sure.

I use a Roku because I like the interface, the Amazon Prime movies can be separated from paid content in the Amazon app but cannot be separated on Fire TV, and I have a custom channel called Roksbox that is unavailable elsewhere. Even if I did not use the Roksbox channel I would not move until a host of issues have been resolved.

I love my Fire TV. I sideloaded all kinds of shit. It's great. ONLY thing i want is more storageor an Apps to SD/USB stick feature..

Why not just stick an old laptop or netbook to your TV? Then you can do whatever the heck you want.

If you get what you think is spam email from Amazon, you might want to take another look at it. If you are an Amazon preferred customer, you may receive an invitation to accept a Fire TV free to use for a month and if it doesn't meet your needs, return it with no charge.

As has been pointed out previously - how is this any different than their normal return policy

Like how they dressed it up as something special though. Ad guys sure are creative.

As has been pointed out previously - how is this any different than their normal return policy

Like how they dressed it up as something special though. Ad guys sure are creative.

Ah - so they don't charge when shipped on this offer, only if kept.

Why not just stick an old laptop or netbook to your TV? Then you can do whatever the heck you want.

Because it is more if a pain in the ass to surf content. My ps3 still remains one id the better and easier media boxes I own.

I use a Roku because I like the interface, the Amazon Prime movies can be separated from paid content in the Amazon app but cannot be separated on Fire TV, and I have a custom channel called Roksbox that is unavailable elsewhere. Even if I did not use the Roksbox channel I would not move until a host of issues have been resolved.

Roku really pissed their Wheaties with Roku3. They dropped support for a separate audio output. Older versions has stereo audio out, 3 has nothing but HDMI . So it is not compatible with older audio gear. :(

Roku really pissed their Wheaties with Roku3. They dropped support for a separate audio output. Older versions has stereo audio out, 3 has nothing but HDMI . So it is not compatible with older audio gear. :(

Plug HDMI into a receiver to get audio. Or use your TV to output Audio... Easy shit.

I figured that everyone with an account got this offer, it's kind of odd that Amazon apparently considers me a preferred customer since I've never had prime and don't buy THAT much from them.

Like many others here I don't have any need for a dedicated streaming device because I have a PC hooked up to my TV and even if I didn't it's a smart TV anyway. The voice search feature sounded like something that would set it apart from other streaming devices but if it doesn't work with Netflix then it's kind of pointless.

Hell I'd try it out. But I really don't need ANOTHER media device. I have enough shit to watch Netflix on.

I've been using one since they came out and have been very happy with it.

Stereo out? Yuck... They did the right thing. If you cant afford a receiver from this decade why even buy a roku?

I have a PS3, and wouldn't imagine replacing my HTPC with it.

Depends on how you use it obviously.

I use it for Netflix, Prime and to stream content I download over PS3 media server. That's it. It does those 3 things flawlessly, with a single remote control and with an interface that is fast and easy to navigate with said remote. MY HTPC's which got dismantled long ago never could do that.

Basically for me, until HTPC hits the point where I can completely Eliminate my DVR and

ok that was odd...typing away and suddenly my PC decides "eh, time to post".

Anyhow Eliminate my DVR and cable by allowing me to surf channels. Then frankly it holds no value to me given other devices do everything I need with less hassle.

Depends on how you use it obviously.

I use it for Netflix, Prime and to stream content I download over PS3 media server. That's it. It does those 3 things flawlessly, with a single remote control and with an interface that is fast and easy to navigate with said remote.

I set up an HTPC along with a PS3 for my dad, and he now ignores the HTPC for anything but a couple of games he likes to play and web browsing when the family computer is being used by my sister. Oddly enough, he doesn't game on the PS3 at all. Still, theres much to be said for simplicity and needing only 1 remote.

Plug HDMI into a receiver to get audio. Or use your TV to output Audio... Easy shit.

No Shit.
I guess in your world every receiver and every TV is exactly the same huh?

Point is I don't have a receiver that has HDMI (and don't want one). My older gear works fine there is no need to replace it.
My HD set doesn't have a audio out but this wouldn't matter because I don't want the TV on all the time when I just want some background music playing out on the deck while we are grilling.

No Shit.
I guess in your world every receiver and every TV is exactly the same huh?

Point is I don't have a receiver that has HDMI (and don't want one). My older gear works fine there is no need to replace it.
My HD set doesn't have a audio out but this wouldn't matter because I don't want the TV on all the time when I just want some background music playing out on the deck while we are grilling.

So you expect companies to cater to you and you're ancient shit?

It's there a reason you can't simply buy a roku 2 or did you just want to complain?

So you expect companies to cater to you and you're ancient shit?

It's there a reason you can't simply buy a roku 2 or did you just want to complain?

Exactly...

I wouldn't say they "pissed their Wheaties" for the very small consimer base that runs ancient audio equipment. Most people with old audio equipment know that their equipment can't always be compatible, and they have ways to get around it, or just face the music (pun intended).

Same goes for the Amazon TV, if you want the new shit, and it doesn't work with your old shit, it's time to upgrade some shit... Or stick to Betamax...

I received the invite and I am a Prime member. I bit on it, and added an HDMI cable and the controller. Should receive it Thursday...

Just bought one of these to replace my ATV2's that i have (Running Plex) because the firmware is so old 4.2/4.3 gonna sell them for a pretty penny as they are already modded/jailbroken with an older code that allows for more flexibility for where you want to be!..

One thing i miss is Netflix and i pay for Prime so why not use Prime movies on it as well! Plex is Natively Supported so to me its a WIN WIN

Apparently the ATV2s are selling for almost 2x the original price b/c they can be jailbroken

Just bought one of these to replace my ATV2's that i have (Running Plex) because the firmware is so old 4.2/4.3 gonna sell them for a pretty penny as they are already modded/jailbroken with an older code that allows for more flexibility for where you want to be!..

One thing i miss is Netflix and i pay for Prime so why not use Prime movies on it as well! Plex is Natively Supported so to me its a WIN WIN

Apparently the ATV2s are selling for almost 2x the original price b/c they can be jailbroken

What dicks on eBay are asking abd what they are actually selling for are very different things.

Suprisingly i have been paying more attn to the auctions of what ppl are paying i have seen them around 130-150/each on the sold market... (Not the buy it nows)

I set up an HTPC along with a PS3 for my dad, and he now ignores the HTPC for anything but a couple of games he likes to play and web browsing when the family computer is being used by my sister. Oddly enough, he doesn't game on the PS3 at all. Still, theres much to be said for simplicity and needing only 1 remote.

A Logitech harmony + USB IR receiver solves the 1 remote problem... I control my htpc just fine with it.

A Logitech harmony + USB IR receiver solves the 1 remote problem... I control my htpc just fine with it.

For the price of that harmony remote and USB receiver you could just buy a roku and be done with it.

Hardware in the Fire is much faster than any Roku, its just a matter of rooting the damn thing to make it more open. As it is Amazon allows installing apps via adb push, so the Fire is a great XBMC client, much better than the other Android streaming boxes at its price point.

Also people need to consider the footprint and power usage vs your typical HTPC.

Prime member. Didn't get the e-mail, but clicked the link on the news page, and said I was eligible. Just received it today and going to give it a whirl later. Been procrastinating about building a new HTPC and while I don't know if this will fit my needs (especially since I can't very well root it), I'll at least see what it does out of the box.

Back